GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,308 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo rules work for the expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I usually have to play alone, so I use the solo rules posted on FFG's site. Once in a while I can get a second person, so I play the 2-player rules posted in that same document.

How well do the solo or two player variant rules posted on FFG's website work for the expansions? I might like to play a different objective card, characters, etc; but until I can know for sure that they work together, I don't feel comfortable buying the games.

Thanks and Take Care,
Nathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people tend not to play the single player games, so I doubt you'll get playtested answers, I'm afraid. That said, here would be my take:

Pegasus: The Pegasus board itself should work fine, along with most of the new Characters (not Ellen though... although playing her could make for a more exciting challenge). However, the other new features would be less brilliant with one player: Treachery cards when you're the only person are basically worthless - normally as they're given out to everyone by crises and things, you never know who's shoved them in. Cylon Leaders and the Sympathetic Cylon couldn't be used with only 1 player... possibly with 2, in fact, making up some simple rules for playing with 2 Cylon Leaders may well make for a decent game. Overall though I wouldn't recommend Pegasus.

Exodus: Exodus has 3 modules so let's just look at them:

Conflicted Loyalty: A small simple change, but doesn't translate well to single player play.

Cylon Fleet: Very nice change of pace, should work fine if not better than normal 1 player play. Basically this changes how attacks happen to something much more streamlined and constant, which is nice, although it might put extra pressure on you to choose a Pilot (if you don't, then expect pain from Raiders)

Ionian Nebula: Hmm... I'm not sure about this one either. Allies are very nice, but you'd need to rule up how much trauma you start with (say, 10?) to make the Crossroads an actual threat. With 2 players it could work okay, though.

Overall I'd say in fact you probably don't want to fork out all that money for Exodus. What you might like to try though is drawing an A4 board for the Cylon Fleet Board, read up on how it works and just using that with the base game - in my opinion it represents a significant improvement in the attack rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Pegasus Solo.

I find Solo is too easy (depending on the character) and I house rule different things.

Like I have to rescue every ship off new caprica.

I can't auto jump the fleet.

I have to play through every crisis card in the basic game deck.

I'll even sometimes gives the support character a cylon type roll of actually sabotaging skill checks.

Plus I also ways with the new IC's so they are pretty much worthless for their ability.

I don't always use all of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play the solo game. Have read up on its rules and played regular games with Pegasus, Exodus, and both, so based on those.....

(and your post has actually sparked my interest in trying out the FFG's solo variant.)

1p game, Pegasus
You'd be able to spam locations on Pegasus for the same effect that would be so on Galactica and C1. Some of the new crisis cards may provide for some new play (Code Blue is a pain in the ass, and the new cylon attack cards such as Scar and the one where you lose 1 morale and 1 raptor everything a bs is destroyed {The Guardians} until you jump). New skill cards are interesting to try out, Treachery isn't too meaningful if you don't have to worry about Sabotage. One case is if you play At Any Cost (skill check interrupt that makes browns positive, but also into "reckless skill check" so text abilities on certain brown cards trigger).

New Caprica
You either spam Shipyards to get civvies prepped, or get sent to Detention, where you'll need to get out to be able to get back to doing the former. In Detention regular game, you can throw in 2 skill cards per skill check. I don't know how 1p game translates that... contribute up to 4 skill cards then? Or even up to 5 or 6?

CL
--1p game probably won't work with a CL (minimum # of players is 4), but in all fairness, people would generally agree that the game doesn't work as a 1p game anyways, so you may as well go hog wild. Some of these agendas may be interesting to try out...

Some of them may be a bit too easy to fulfill, but others should be challenging enough
NOTATION: You win if...
cylons (win)
2 of fewer Galactica locations are damaged.

humans
You have played a Super Crisis Card.

cylons
Either you are in the "Brig" or "Detention" or you have been executed at least once.

humans
At least 5 raptors/vipers are damaged or destroyed.

humans
Population, morale, or food is at 2 or lower.

CONSIDERATIONS:
--If you're uninfiltrating, you're considered a cylon player and thus, should skip the crisis step. However, all of FFG's variants where there isn't a cylon calls for drawing a crisis card while in the Brig. Makes sense, as this seems to keep players from "gaming" the situation. I'm not sure if the same could be said for a CL.... he hangs out in Cylon locations, stocks up on skill cards, keeps going at certain conditions (e.g. reducing certain resources, or setting up the board so there are enough ships of the appropriate type). THEN when he's ready, he infiltrates and then resumes progress (drawing crisis cards and thus, getting jump icons to move the game forward). I think a houserule that in a 1p game, a CL always does the crisis step may be necessary.

You can add tweaks like the cylon ship icons are always skipped so long as you're in cylon territory, or cylon ship icons are skipped if you have a "cylons win" objective for all cases, or just for if you're in cylon locations

--A CL shouldn't have any titles. If you're still going with that, then I'd advocate that for crisis cards that say President Chooses... (like Water Shortage), then you still get to make the decision. Furthermore, as current player, you still discard 3 skill cards. Or, you can insist that you also have to discard 2 additional skill cards as the "acting president". Same deal with admiral title.... you get to choose 2 destinations and resolve one, although you can just make this random if you feel it's giving you too much control over you agenda.

1p game, Exodus, w/ or w/out Pegasus
--Cally in the Brig would be able to toss in 0, 2, or 3 skill cards per skill check

Conflicted Loyalties makes them heavy raider icons very deadly.
....For Final Five (FF) loyalty cards,
--I presume the one where the card holder is executed may be mostly ignored (AFAIK, since the assist character can't be brigged, then he shouldn't be able to be executed either). However, that same FF does ask for each player to randomly discard 2 skill cards.
--The others FF effects (which also trigger when they're examined) are also nasty when you examine them.... You're sent to the Brig, You're executed, damage Galactica twice, and activate raiders, basestars, then heavy raiders
--Going by the assumption that assist characters can NOT be executed, then the "bottom half" effect of each player discarding 2 skill cards won't ever take into effect.
....For Personal Goals (PG)
--I don't know how this would work. If the conditions are fulfilled, that player can take an action to reveal the PG so the resource printed on them won't be lost. An assist character can't do that (he takes no actions nor has a mind of his own). I suppose you can have some thing where at the end of the game, if any of the conditions were true at any point (or if you need to make it harder, then insist that they still need to be true), then you do NOT have to deduct the resources printed on them.

Alright... #1 is pointless since you start off with both titles (all 3 if playing with the CFB as you also get the CAG title card)...
1) Get 2 or more title cards at the same time (-1 food)
2) Admiral has no remaining nukes (-1 morale)
3) President is in the Brig (-1 food)
4) 6+ Vipers are damaged or destroyed (-1 fuel)
5) May Discard 20 strength points of skill cards (-1 fuel)
6) Is in the Brig or Sickbay (-1 morale)
7) 10 or more Raiders are on the Main game board (-1 population)
8) Fleet has made a 1-distance jump (-1 population)

.... the rest... half are pretty simple, the other half are more "if opportunity persists. E.g. if you manage to end the game with 20+ combined strength in skill cards, then discard them to avoid losing one fuel.

CFB
--If you don't feel like moving to Command to get unmanned viper activations, then the "inferior" action on the CAG title card will be your cup of tea (the first one), since you get to keep it anyways
Quote:
Action: Activate 1 unmanned viper and then give the CAG Title Card to any other human player.
Action: Once per turn, if you are piloting a viper, you may activate 1 unmanned viper and then take another action.

--if you don't choose a pilot (or Helo), then be prepared to madly spam, command to compensate for that.
--having Pegasus around for her Main Batteries may be essential in this case
--no cylon player means you don't have to worry about some of the nastiness of the Basestar Bridge (BB) location

IN
--no sense of competition since you either have 3 or more of the trauma tokens you want to avoid (mb), or you don't, in which case, you're not eliminated from the game (as the only player, that would mean instant loss)
--You'd still need to manage your trauma tokens though. Putting a mb on an ally typically means you won't have it around to endanger you of getting eliminated, but mb usually triggers bad stuff on allies. Conversely, mb means allies will help you, but it's bad if you've got many mb in your possession. If this seems bland, then maybe you could do this randomly. Perhaps have the assist player have a hand of trauma tokens, you get to randomly pick a trauma token for him to put on new allies.
--Allies screw with your plans in the sense they may compel you to visit them, or avoid them at certain locations
--For the Crossroads phase, some of the cards have effects that go after other players, so it's much less interactive and weird that those have to target you now (e.g. admiral is executed, or choose another player to draw/discard trauma tokens)
--mb can be a fun curveball, since they'd still execute you.
--The basestar damage token that effects cylons (each cylon player draws 2 trauma tokens) won't have a meaningful effect other than counting as one damage towards that basestar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2p game, just Pegasus
If you're going to play with CL, then it may be better that either both of you choose a CL or none of you do. Then I'd probably sort the agenda cards by 2 stacks, one side being Humans win, and another, cylons win, and then deal one random card from each side to each player. Note the considerations I've posted in my other post above.

[b]2p game, Exodus, w/ or w/o PEgasus
Conflicted Loyalties
You now have an actual player who can use an action to reveal fulfilled PGs. FF will work normally as well, and do make examining loyalty cards quite a gamble

CFB
If one of you is a cylon admiral, beware of wiping out all civvy ships with a lucky roll!

IN
One or both of you may be eliminated. It's a bit "pointless" since there are a bit better odds for you two tying, but whoever the president is will just choose the other human player if that choice is available. If you have a revealed cylon player, thne it could turn out to be a race to get rid of trauma tokens, although the cylon player can always try to end the game before 8 distance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a solo game with Base Game + Exodus, using only the Cylon Fleet Board option.

It went very well. The fleet board added some excitement as I jumped away and the cylons returned to their board to regroup adn come back at me. I forgot to advance the Cylon Pursiut track a few times, however, so my eventual victory was maybe too easy (I jumped at 9 with pop and morale on 1 and fuel in the red too).

I haven't tried the other Exodus options yet, but based on the Cylon Fleet board alone, I'm happy with my purchase.

Eco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.