GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,839 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Power Of The Day -- Observer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Observer Resolution/Novice/Mandatory

Allies Do Not Go to Warp

You have the power to Protect. As an ally, whenever your should lose ships to the warp, use this power to instead return them to any of your colonies and keep using them. As a main player, when any of your allies should lose ships to the warp, use this power to instead allow your allies to return them to any of their colonies of their choice.

HISTORY: Seldom interfering in Cosmic affairs, the Observers have been around for millennia, simply watching the other alien races. With their advanced technology and strange abilities, the others were hesitant to draw them into their squabbles. Now, however, it seems that the Observers have decided that the time for action has come at last.

FLARE

Alliance
Wild: As a main player, after alliances are formed, you may allow each player who allies with you to draw one card from the deck.

Launch
Super: When you launch ships as an ally or offense, you may retrieve one ship from the warp to immediately launch. As the offense, this ship is in addition to the ship you normally retrieve during your regroup phase, but does not allow you to exceed your normal limit of four ships in the hyperspace gate.

Commentary: This is a resource/rules power. There is something very familiar with this power. It looks like a combination of my Nixon and Politician powers. This is probably a great minds think alike situation. My Politician power, now obsolete, is Mercenary and Observer together as one, though Politician does lose his ships if his side loses the encounter. In previous conversations about Politician I think it was mentioned as an idea to change it to what is now Observer. Anyway, Observer is a power to make alliances risk free. Main players know you’ll ally with four ships, and they can never sandbag you (ask you to ally but purposely lose). Those who would ally with you know their ships are safe, and you can never sandbag them. The power is ambiguous, though. I’m sure the intent is that the protected ships are only those involved in the encounter, but it is possible for non-involved ships to be sent to the warp such as Bully and Vacuum. Are those protected as well? The phase is Resolution. That would imply ships lost before that phase are out of luck, but what if it is an involved ship? We’ll have to carry our brains to solve this dilemma.

Gerald Katz
Don’t forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
The power is ambiguous, though. I’m sure the intent is that the protected ships are only those involved in the encounter, but it is possible for non-involved ships to be sent to the warp such as Bully and Vacuum. Are those protected as well?

All ships of the appropriate player(s) lost during the Resolution phase are protected. The text does not restrict this effect to "involved" ships, and it even says "whenever".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this power. As to its origin, I think I remember hearing someone say that it was Cedric Chin's Safety alien, just re-named. He's credited in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it was! I forgot the name, so thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I despise this alien, MAYBE if it were combined with General then either of them would be worth my time, but I'd rather not have such a weak alien that relies on alliances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.