GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,891 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Biblios» Forums » Variants

Subject: More strategy in the Gift Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maja Stanislawska
Finland
VANTAA
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
I received this little gem game as a gift, and this was a first proper auction game in my collection. We usually play some strategy plus economy games, hence are biased towards these mechanics.

The variant I would like to present was born from our need to have more control in Biblios.

In the original Gift Phase, players are supposed to allocate cards into three groups, taking one card at a time. We decided to try taking all the cards at once (2-player game: pick up 3 cards; 3-player: pick up 4 cards; 4-player: pick up 5 cards), and only then allocating them to the usual three groups.

With this small change, the game acquired much more taste for us, somewhat control freaks whistle and is really enjoyable. We tested it as a 2-player and 4-player; both worked fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would totally ruin the game for me. I like push-your-luck-factors in games. BUT only to a certain extend, and I agree that the 4-player game is too luck-based.

The 2- and 3 player game is perfect as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with the game as-is (though admittedly, most of my games have been 2-3 players).

But people's tastes vary, and some may wish for more control; hence, this suggested variant. Note, though, that there are intermediate options between the official rules and xenotime's variant, which preserve some of the push-your-luck element but also give more somewhat control, namely, drawing cards not all at once, but in pairs or triplets.

For instance, in a four person game, you could draw the 5 cards by first drawing a set of 2 and then a set of 3 (or vice versa, or 2-2-1, etc.). I'll let you figure out the 2 and 3 player possibilities on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't this pretty much eliminate all the strategy from the game?

Best card in hand, 2nd best to auction, three worst cards to your opponents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maja Stanislawska
Finland
VANTAA
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't know this tiny variant can stimulate this much discussion

Ok, from our point of view it does help us with better strategy feel but I happily accept that for someone else it may ruin their feel of the game. This is the version we like and we are not going to force it as a "best" option, only toss the idea for someone who may feel the same as we do.

Happy gaming to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that there is anything wrong with the variant, but it makes it a completely different game. And that game is not as different from other games as it could be. Without playing, of course, I couldn't tell you if it is better, worse or just different.
Then again, I am about to post a variant suggested by my son after only 3 games (which I find a little embarrassing, but it occurred to him and seems natural).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.