GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Glen More» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob questions: activation questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Chalupka
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a learning game of this yesterday. A couple of questions came up:

1) It wasn't clear to me whether or not your starting village tile gives you any movement points when you activate it. In other words, when you place your first few tiles, does that allow you to move your starting clansman?

I'm thinking no, since your starting village doesn't have the movement icon in the lower middle - all the other villages tiles have this to indicate it provides 1 movement point whenever it is activated. However, the rule book is a little vague on this point (shocker!). It says that you get 1 movement point for each gray tile that is activated - so maybe the answer is yes?

2) When placing a tile, the rules say you get the benefit of a tile only once per activation phase. I assume this restriction applied to production tiles as well - if I have 2 forests adjacent to a newly placed tile, I only collect 1 green cube?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which tiles you are looking at, but the starting tiles (shown in the lower right of the image below) all have the movement symbol in the bottom center of the tile. So you can move your clansmen when you activate them.

 


The rule does not say execute each action only once, it says you can activate each tile once. Even if two tiles do the same thing. The rule is mostly for the special tiles that activate other tiles. You can't activate a tile once by tile placment and then again by special power.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Psst - the starting tiles are two-sided

2) No, that's wrong. You activate both forest tiles and gain two wood, as long as there is space to store them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
achalupka wrote:
1) It wasn't clear to me whether or not your starting village tile gives you any movement points when you activate it. In other words, when you place your first few tiles, does that allow you to move your starting clansman?

Yes, if you're placing them in one of the 8 spaces that surround the village.

achalupka wrote:
I'm thinking no, since your starting village doesn't have the movement icon in the lower middle - all the other villages tiles have this to indicate it provides 1 movement point whenever it is activated.

That's interesting. My starting village tiles have movement icons in the lower middle.

achalupka wrote:
2) When placing a tile, the rules say you get the benefit of a tile only once per activation phase. I assume this restriction applied to production tiles as well - if I have 2 forests adjacent to a newly placed tile, I only collect 1 green cube?

You collect one green cube per tile, up to a limit of three per tile.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chalupka
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Psst - the starting tiles are two-sided


Oh, jeez. blush It didn't even occur to me to flip the stupid thing over. I did play it correctly, though, even though I was confused by the lack of a movement icon.

ousgg wrote:
2) No, that's wrong. You activate both forest tiles and gain two wood, as long as there is space to store them.


"The benefits of any 1 tile may be used once per activation phase. Therefore, during an activation phase, a player may use a distillery to exchange exactly 1 grain for exactly 1 whiskey barrel..."

Seems silly that they would go out of their way to point out that you can only activate a tile once - I figured they must be trying to tell me something else. Oh well. Thanks for the help!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
achalupka wrote:
Seems silly that they would go out of their way to point out that you can only activate a tile once - I figured they must be trying to tell me something else.


They are. They're telling you that you can't use your 1 distillery to use 3 grain to make 3 whiskey all at once.

"The benefits of any 1 tile may be used once per activation phase."

It's saying the benefits of each may be used once, not "only 1 tile may be activated".

Glad you've got it all worked out now, I think it's a great game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
achalupka wrote:

"The benefits of any 1 tile may be used once per activation phase. Therefore, during an activation phase, a player may use a distillery to exchange exactly 1 grain for exactly 1 whiskey barrel..."

Seems silly that they would go out of their way to point out that you can only activate a tile once - I figured they must be trying to tell me something else. Oh well. Thanks for the help!



They were - there is more than one way to activate a tile. Two of the Lochs allow you to activate tiles; one allows you to activate one tile per turn, the other allows you to activate every tile once. When you use those special activations, they may not be used to activate a tile that was activated on that turn by the placement of a tile.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Harris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When surrounding tiles are activated do you have access to the resources immediately or do you have to wait until a clan member moves onto each location to collect the resource produced?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8bit wrote:
When surrounding tiles are activated do you have access to the resources immediately or do you have to wait until a clan member moves onto each location to collect the resource produced?

You have immediate access.
You can sell or use any resources you have on your tiles without the need to collect them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use them immediately. The clan members indicate where a tile can be placed only - a new tile can only be placed adjacent to a tile containing a clan member. All tiles adjacent to the newly placed tile can then be activated - it doesn't matter whether they have a clan member on them or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.