Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: NinjaMicrobadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Xbox 360 - I Don't Care About AchievementsMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I have a board mounted on a sheet of cork and I want to un-glue it to stick it again on cardboard.

The mount is composed of:

Adhesive book plastic over
Printed cardboard over
sheet of cork

I tried using a steam iron on the back of the board and it worked. The cork grow and ripples while melting the glue and the print out can be easily removed slightly curved.

Now I have realized that in my set, there was 2 type of cork. The 2nd type of cork is much smaller and tighter. When I try to use the same technique, it's the opposite that happens: The cork shrink and the print out ripples. The print out is very hard to remove and the process makes it strongly damaged (impossible to reuse)

I don't understand why 2 size of cork would have 2 different behaviors. But does anybody have any other ideas on how I could remove the print outs?

Another solution I thought would be to pass the iron over the plastic surface and disable the steam. Maybe use a cloth between the iron and the plastic. The problem is that I am not sure how much heat can the plastic withstand before melting. It's book plastic so it is pretty solid. If the platic could resist the heat, maybe the glue will melt before the cork has a chance to shrink?

What do you think?

Any other ideas?

Thank You
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: US Air ForceMicrobadge: Gun ownerMicrobadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Don't Tread On MeMicrobadge: Explosives
You might want to try a hairdryer on high heat first. Not as hot as an iron but I have had pretty good success loosening all kinds of adhesives with using a hair dryer. It may take longer than usual for the heat to penetrate the cork but you can control the heat easier than using an iron. Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: NinjaMicrobadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Xbox 360 - I Don't Care About AchievementsMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Well the advantage of the air dryer could be that I can spray on the plastic surface without risk of plastic meltdown. It might unglue it before the cork has a chance to shrink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alonso Alvarez
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
Coming soon!
Microbadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Pax Porfiriana fanMicrobadge: Prêt-à-Porter fan - Toss it! Fling it! Wind in your hair! Gorgeous...Microbadge: COIN fan
Have you tried using http://www.goofoffstainremover.com/?

Dunno if it will work on cork but I have use it before to remove glue and glue stains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This is usefull to remove glue residue at the surface. My glue is between the cardboard and the cork. I cannot inject glue remover between the 2 layers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I tried using an air dryer, it does not work well. When a bit of cardboard was peeled, I put the air directly between the cork and the card board and it did not do anything.

I tried using an iron directly on the plastic without steam. It does not un-glue anything. If the iron is too hot, it melt the plastic. So I think it was really the steam that did the job.

Now I have tried to freeze it. I also does not work well. It seems to help a bit in breaking the glue, but most of the time the cardboard tear up.

Maybe I could use a 2 step process. Freeze first, steam afterward.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerri Mullis
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Thrifty Secret Santa 2018 participantMicrobadge: Garfield fanMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2019Microbadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Football fan
Lighter fluid is the best by far and does not damage the paper. I use it to remove miles of tape and stickers from thrifted games without damaging the box below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
Microbadge: King of ThriftersMicrobadge: Thrift Store JunkieMicrobadge: Omnis singulus exemplum Declarationem Libertatis fuerit frugalis or Every single extra copy of the Declaration of Independence has been thriftedMicrobadge: AlchemyMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Did you ever figure this out? I'm thinking about trying to remove the cork (for other use) from an old cork board if there is a decent enough way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No I have not. Like I said, I seem to have used 2 different kind of cork. Or type worked perfectly with a steam iron, the other one did not work at all. So you might try with a steam iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls