Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Fireball Island fan
IMO Granted, the included ruleset to CR suck. is starting to get overshadowed by the amazing work of some BGG users
...And alot of awesome variants have surfaced. I only tried the Castlevania one and really liked it...now I see there are several more...Barkam's, Crypt Encounter deck....

What ruleset are you enjoying best?

EDIT: removed my "opinions"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: I love ArkansasMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I Delve in Dungeons!Microbadge: I love books!
we use the stock rules and are happy with them. we use variants when they are part of custom/user-made adventures and content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I disagree with the premise. I think the included rules work great for a quick and fun cooperative dungeon rush. You just need to not overthink it, and discard any preconceived ideas from 'but in this other game you'd do this...' or 'but in the rpg you'd do this...'. Play as written, if something isn't clear, make up something easy to remember for next time the situation comes up and keep playing.

The rules variants add a lot of depth and character to the game, which make it a larger entity than the stock rules. Which is also great, but it satisfies a different set of outcomes than one might want from their game.

True, this additional depth might be something that people who bought Ravenloft were expecting in the base game when they bought it, and for those people, I can see why they might think the base rules 'suck'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Fireball Island fan
salemchrist wrote:
True, this additional depth might be something that people who bought Ravenloft were expecting in the base game when they bought it, and for those people, I can see why they might think the base rules 'suck'.
actually, I shared both your sentiments when I first got the game...loved it for what it was and didn't want any more...then I tried the Castlevania variant, and my world changed! Then I saw the Crypt Encounters deck and realized there were a few different variants running around. It seemed like more people were running variants than the boxed rules. (I've been wrong before).

In any case, I was just curious, for those of us using variants, which do you like best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sheep loverMicrobadge: Heroscape fan - General VydarMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: NONE SHALL PASS!!!
So far I've been happy with the RAW but I am very interested in what people have to say in regards to their favourite varients as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Curse of Undeath fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Blood of Gruumsh fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Tyranny of Goblins fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr fan
Well, I'm obviously biased but would like to explain how my Crypt Encounter variant came about.

I have played about 40 games of RAW so no, I don't think the included ruleset sucks. It can result in very swingy games but I have a gamegroup that can see such "torture" in a good sense ala Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, another favorite.

I thumbed a lot of the early custom ideas because I was jazzed to see the passion from the community and all of them were clearly labors of love. I hardly used any of the variant rules though as I didn't have a problem with stuff like monster initiative, punishing encounters, kiting, meaningless tiles, etc.

The problem I had was that after so many games, I was craving for greater variety in monsters and reading through the D&D Monster Manuals ignited my right brain. The rest as they say... is history.

After having created so many monsters and villains, how the heck do I use them without unbalancing the original gameplay which I loved so much? This problem led to my first custom adventure, Assault on Castle Ravenloft which used the monster tokens to trigger the appearance of 4XP monsters and Crypt tiles to trigger the 5XP villains. I had some very difficult playtest games which led me to split the Encounter deck to reduce the chance of consequent bad draws.

Fiddling with the Encounter deck and Crypt tiles then led to a very early version of my Crypt Encounter cards which basically combined all my ideas. Then some users requested cards for the other named tiles as well. Since I wanted to order an artscow deck anyway (54 cards), I made more cards that referenced these other tiles and also gave more air-time to some of the game's original villains.

So there you go, the origins of my accidental variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fattimiei
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Tolkien geekMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness fanMicrobadge: Blood Rage fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
I don't know if core rules sucks but they really need to be fixed on some minor aspect:

that's mine (some come from Lincoln's variant):

1)1 random Monster token (0-3 monsters) on tiles with skull insted of 1 monster, as already used in a couple of original adventures
(stop the boring system 1tile=1monster)

2) 2 encounter decks: 1 idle deck and 1 exploration deck
(no more odd situations like opening a teasure chest while fighting or activating a trap without moving or exploring)

3) give the chance to open a coffin insted of exploring a new tile
(it's awful having one or more coffins on a tile and had to ignore them)

I manage to add some Crypt Encounter but only witout the extra monsters: finding the appropriate miniature it's difficult (or really expensive) for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Curse of Undeath fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Blood of Gruumsh fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Tyranny of Goblins fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr fan
BigBoar wrote:
I manage to add some Crypt Encounter but only witout the extra monsters: finding the appropriate miniature it's difficult (or really expensive) for me
If you're ok with using Monster Vault-style tokens, 2 sheets of them for my custom monsters should be approved anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
BigBoar wrote:

2) 2 encounter decks: 1 idle deck and 1 exploration deck
(no more odd situations like opening a teasure chest while fighting or activating a trap without moving or exploring)
can u expand on that..seems interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fattimiei
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Tolkien geekMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness fanMicrobadge: Blood Rage fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
you can read here the original idea:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/571360/split-the-deck
someone also suggested the use of time tokens and card from take the "idle deck" only after the 3th token.

I would like to make my custom deck with new encounters (someone from WOA!?) and maybe traslate it in italian (some of my player doesn't read english) but I don't know if I will ever have the time, at this time the split deck is a good solution for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls