Subject: Any Data on Size of Production Runs for DDM Sets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacquelene Bielanski

Louisville
KY
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I am curious, does anyone know how much of each of the individual sets were made?

I am curious because if there were 2x the amount of Harbinger manufactured than another set (let us use Demonweb as an example). One could predict that even though Harbinger has the mystique of being the 1st set, the relative oversupply of Harbinger to Demonweb would cause Demonweb miniatures to eventually overreach Harbinger in price. (OK, that example is a bit laughable, but I feel it illustrates the point).

I have looked around, and I have found no information on what the production runs for any of the sets. Are we to assume that they always created the same amount of each set? shake

Yeah, I am sure that is pretty much guaranteed to be false. So it would be good to know the relative 'availability' of each of the sets.

Before hearing that they had canceled the line (Yeah, I know I'm behind the times), I was thinking of trimming down my collection. Now if I trim I want to do so in a bit more strategic way. Even though who knows what kind of effect this will have on the existing minis prices.

Given that people are likely to keep playing D&D for at least a few more years (Ha ha! I'll stop playing when they pry the book from my cold dead hands), I feel that there will continue to be at least some demand for the figures, and I doubt the market will drop out. (Like I saw with some good and interesting games like Pirates).

But I just looked at a couple of the sites I usually use as sources for singles, and they seem to be cleaned out. Is there a bunch of speculation going on?

Who knows, maybe I'll just keep all my figs, because I'm a little afraid if I get rid of them now, they will be too cost prohibitive to replace when I need them in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Curse of Undeath fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Blood of Gruumsh fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Tyranny of Goblins fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr fan
theshunter wrote:
But I just looked at a couple of the sites I usually use as sources for singles, and they seem to be cleaned out. Is there a bunch of speculation going on?
That might be due to the current popularity of Wizard's new series of D&D Adventure Boardgames - Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon. They came with unpainted versions of D&D minis so many are getting the painted DDM equivalents.

Also, the highly customizable aspect of the game has encouraged a large number of user-created custom heroes and monsters, which will entice some to get the DDM minis or at least a good proxy.

As for speculation, it's not really that hard to guess what minis are going to be included in Wizard's next release - Legend of Drizzt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls