Subject: Good Trading game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
yoda Hawke
Albania
Arizona
flag msg tools
Yeah, Puerto Rico is great game
But after about hundred rounds I got tired of Puerto Rico.

But I want to play more trading gmaes!!
I know there’s lots of game which claims they are trading game but in reality most of them is just bidding game which could be easily manipulated with 2 players working together.

So, could you guys recommend 1 decent game that focuses more on trading part like producing or buying goods and transporting them to market, and sell them to NPC, not blind bidding between players.

Bottom line, is there any game like Puerto Rico or Serenissima?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Microbadge: Rolling Stock fan - game end cardMicrobadge: Phineas and Ferb fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: Rocket League fan
Genoa or Indonesia.

Funny that you hate Container so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Seattle Sounders FC fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Rocket League fanMicrobadge: I love BrooklynMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"
Navegador has a trading mechanic in it that has a nice simple supply and demand feature to it. However it may not be as detailed as you would like if Puerto Rico is your thing. Basically once you have your factories or colonies you take a "market action" and either import or produce at your capacity and make money based on the current supply and demand. There is no fiddling with resource counter that you harvest and then cash in to the bank for money. You might like it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Microbadge: I play with whatever color is still availableMicrobadge: CrossFitterMicrobadge: I love Europe!Microbadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: Great Western Trail fan
Hmm, your description reminds me of one game. Producing/buying goods and trasporting them to market (sort of pick-up and deliver). Take a look at Merchants of Middle Ages. Download the rulebook and read it yourself to see whether it's what you're looking for.

For a decent 2 players game, I suggest you check out Jambo.
Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Welcome to Zombo.com. You can do anything at Zombo.com. Anything at all. The only limit is yourself.Microbadge: rightMicrobadge: Easily MisunderstoodMicrobadge: leftMicrobadge: Slavoj Žižek
1. May not be what you asked for, but firstly pure trading gamers, ie. the games build primarily around players trading between themselves:

- simple: Bohnanza Basically set collecting (by trading you collect two types of bean cards, harvest them, gain coins, plant new beans)
- medium: Chinatown Haven't played. If I remember correctly there are no turns everybody just trades (yells, persuades and whatnot). Theme is about trading real estate and shops in chinatown (again if you hold more of some area it's worth more)
- complex: Genoa (on the level of Puerto Rico, maybe a little bit simpler). You can trade anything for anything. But more specifically the game is about bidding for an action which either gives you an order, goods to to fulfil an order and delivering the order (and some other stuff as well).

These games are mostly 45 min to 2 hours (depending onthe game) bartering and making deals. If you're quiet and not keenly alert on what's going on, you'll loose.
About replayabilty: this games are about players so they are quite replayable. Genoa (and maybe others as well) has a tendency to be very much dependant on groupthink (one group of players tend to play it differently than another group). All the games are best with 4-5 players.
Some say Genoa is a auction/bidding game. Techanically might be, but it doesn't feel like as there's no structure for making bids, you just scream over everybody else. Also you can ask for things in return as a part of the deal. Fear of 2 players working together is not applicable, just play with 5 players - anybody who doesn't want to trade with everybody else looses (and hurts also the one he/she doesn't want to trade with)

2. Trading between players + building (basically civilization games, some might be too light for this title though)
- Catan The game you probably know, simpler than Puerto Rico. Roll dice, get goods, trade goods with other players to get sets of goods required to build various things. There's also an expansion Catan: Cities & Knights giving you even more stuff to build. (3-4 players)
- Mare Nostrum + expansion Mare Nostrum: Mythology Expansion (balances the base game). A bit older, but I've seen it in Vienna. Civilisation game in 2 hours for 5 people (or 6 in the expansion).

3. economic games
Maybe what you're after is not trading (as puerto rico is not seen as a trading game) but economic games - Games build around certain economic models.
- Stock market games: Chicago Express (stock market + tile blocking) - simple to teach yet hard to master, nice components, 1 hour playing time, 3-4 players, recommended. Or Imperial (stock market + warfare) economic game in wargame disguise. A bit more complex than Chicago express but said to be somewhat similar in principles. 2 hours, 4-5 players.
- Container a bit unique player driven economy model. Very dependant on groupthink and said to be fragile if some people play against the system.

4. Building games, changing resources into other stuff, but without necessarily economic model. I feel Puerto Rico belongs here.
4A: Building "grids"
Power Grid - building your own electricity supplier "empire". Buy power plants at the auction, buy resources to power plants from fluctuating market, build you grid, supply electricity to earn money, repeat.
Steam for a moderately complex but still accessible train game. Has a basic and advanced mode (the latter with tighter economy).
Brass: Lancashire said to be quite complex but good (3-4 players)
Indonesia might be too complex for starters, it's more similar to 18xx family of (very) complex and long economic train games.

4B: resource engine games. Low on interaction, you're basically picking stuff, turn it into another stuff, combine together with yet another stuff and earn points or money or both. Good if you play with fewer people and want to calculate and think (how to best work the system). Most of worker placements and heavier euros in general belong here.
Worker placements: complex - Le Havre, Caylus, Agricola, Carson City (interaction), Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery (interaction)/ medium The Pillars of the Earth / simple Stone Age
other euros: Endeavor (said to be quite simple, yet interactive), Troyes (worker placement with dice), Goa - some actions included (said to be reprinted in some future with some changes - dice)

P.S.: ako razumijes srbo/hrvatski mozes me kontaktirati privatno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Microbadge: Your MomMicrobadge: Box FartMicrobadge: The Game Box userMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Baaaa!
Civilization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
Microbadge: Star Wars: X-Wing (Second Edition) fan
By your definition of trading I would suggest Cuba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
affa izaki
Indonesia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Free Print & Play Game DesignerMicrobadge: ASLSK#1 fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Adventure of D fanMicrobadge: 1 Full-Page Label PnP Contest participant
Jambo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
Microbadge: I design board games... poorly.Microbadge: Free Print & Play Game DesignerMicrobadge: Jehovah's WitnessMicrobadge: Designer of Too Many Untested PrototypesMicrobadge: I have game designer's block
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought of Race for the Galaxy as
San Juan (Card version of Puerto Rico) in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Guild Argentina - MiembroMicrobadge: Imperios Milenarios fanMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: Eurojuegos Buenos Aires fan
Naaaah! forget about that
Try Jaipur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yoda Hawke
Albania
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for recommendationslaugh
We will try jambo and Mare Nostrum first!

Thanks again for all of you guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Microbadge: Rolling Stock fan - game end cardMicrobadge: Phineas and Ferb fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: Rocket League fan
Actually you want Cuba. I thought of it after I went to bed last night. It's just like Puerto Rico...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls