Scott Blakely
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Hi all,

I wrote and submitted a post about this earlier today, but it isn't here so I will write it again.

Will the Vassal module be expanded to support solo play?
Will the other setups be added?

I noticed one oddity when I tried to populate the search grid manually (I didn't see the button at first). I accidentally put two cards on one space. There is no way to correct for this other than to clear the grid. But when you do that, it doent' re-populate the deck of cards. And if you click on fill the grid at that point, it fills the grid with all of the search cards face up.

If you restart the module and use the fill grid button it seems to work just fine.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Scott,

The Vassal Module was put together by Chuck Parrot, a game enthusiast just like you who loves vassal games. Developing the Vassal it is a part project for Chuck which he has done a very good job with. I know he has a few other projects he is working on and he can take care of the Vassal when he has time. I will contact Chuck and let him know that you are still having problems and see if there is anything he can do to help.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Hi Steven,

Thanks.

I meant to harsh criticism - just asking some questions.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Train GamerMicrobadge: Out for blood - I play without mercyMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with Lover
No problem Scott, I appreciate any feedback I can get.

First to answer you about more setups, I have spoken with Steve and I will be adding the remainder of the pieces in the game along with the ability to pick and choose your forces as well as scenarios. The initial module was released with only Coral Sea so as not to detract from game sales.

As to the search board issue, are you using the latest version of the module? There was a bug in an earlier version that caused the cards to not be accesible by all players. That might have caused the behavior you saw.
The other thing is Vassal, while a wonderful program isn't designed to be able to moderate games or enforce rules but to provide a 'toolkit' that recreates game pieces and maps and a loose framework of how they can interact. I tried to include some nifty automation features to avoid some of the setup tedium, but the price is that it can cause issues if you go around the mechanism. Fortunately there is an easy remedy. Vassal has an undo button that lets you go back as far as you want. Or as you found, you can just restart the module to reset it. Since the search phas is at the beginning and only happens once, it's not too bad if you mess it up to just call a do over.

I wish I could say I have a timetable of when the new features will be available, but work is taking it's toll on my hobby time so I work on it when I can, but I am working on it and hope to have an update in the coming weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the response. I have been swamped with work as well, which I why I hadn't seen your reply until today.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Train GamerMicrobadge: Out for blood - I play without mercyMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with Lover
The latest version (1.2) is up at vassalengine.org with all the scenarios added plus a few extra features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls