Subject: Storage less than Production? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ketigid ketigid
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: San Juan fanMicrobadge: Fresco fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne fan
I've read the rules and it only says that income is derived from the lower of Storage and Production. This implies that Storage can possibly be lower than Production. Thematically, this doesn't make sense.

Is there a rule that I might have missed out mentioning that, if Storage is lower than Production, then excess Production *must* be shut down?

(Note: I know that I should voluntarily shut down the excess machines to save on energy costs anyway, but this is more of a thematic question.

Also, it is important to know whether this rule is mandatory or not, becos some players may want to keep their machines running, for tactical reasons? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game Fan
ketigid wrote:
I've read the rules and it only says that income is derived from the lower of Storage and Production. This implies that Storage can possibly be lower than Production. Thematically, this doesn't make sense.
I don't know why it doesn't make sense. Production comes in increments greater than 1, you can have more production than storage but shutting down a production robot would cost you money because your production goes down several points and you only save a bit of energy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketigid ketigid
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: San Juan fanMicrobadge: Fresco fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne fan
DaviddesJ wrote:
I don't know why it doesn't make sense. Production comes in increments greater than 1, you can have more production than storage but shutting down a production robot would cost you money because your production goes down several points and you only save a bit of energy.
I think I probably wasn't being clear in my previous description. I'm assuming that in a real factory, produced goods always have to be stored somewhere. Therefore, if there isn't enough storage space, the factory cannot produce more goods. Hence, in the game, I have this conception that there must always be sufficient storage for production of goods on a 1:1 ratio.

However, I don't see any rule that says production must be equal or lower than storage. That is where I find it un-thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game Fan
ketigid wrote:
I'm assuming that in a real factory, produced goods always have to be stored somewhere.
Actually, in a real factory, you ship what you produce as you make it. You don't need any significant amount of "storage" at all.

This isn't a real factory. It's just a game.

But, in any case, what the game calls "production" is what your installed and operating equipment has the actual capability to produce. The whole point of the income rule is that if you don't have enough storage to hold all of your production, then you get less money because your factory isn't actually producing its full production. However, if you've activated machines, you still have to pay their full energy and staffing cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
No, there is no such rule.

But it seems like deep down in your heart, you already know this and are just complaining because you think there should be such a rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: BrightMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: BoardGameGeek with green hair
ketigid wrote:

Is there a rule that I might have missed out mentioning that, if Storage is lower than Production, then excess Production *must* be shut down?

(Note: I know that I should voluntarily shut down the excess machines to save on energy costs anyway, but this is more of a thematic question.

Also, it is important to know whether this rule is mandatory or not, becos some players may want to keep their machines running, for tactical reasons? )
Thematically you are right. But as I did the game I was always thinking for storage of storage for raw materials you need for production. This is thematic, because you can just run your machines but get nothing out of it, because you do not have the raw materials, but pay the energy and workers (stupid but possible) I'm not quite sure where this fact got lost, but it is easier to explain it how it is now.

I hope this makes sense.

friedemann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketigid ketigid
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
No, there is no such rule.

But it seems like deep down in your heart, you already know this and are just complaining because you think there should be such a rule.
Yes, you are right, I am complaining crywhistle

friedemann wrote:
Thematically you are right. But as I did the game I was always thinking for storage of storage for raw materials you need for production. This is thematic, because you can just run your machines but get nothing out of it, because you do not have the raw materials, but pay the energy and workers (stupid but possible) I'm not quite sure where this fact got lost, but it is easier to explain it how it is now.

I hope this makes sense.

friedemann
Ic... This makes a lot of sense if the storage is for raw materials. I guess the way the packed boxes on pellets were drawn on the Storage tiles gave me the impression that it was the finished goods.

That solved the thematic issue for me. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls