Subject: new to the game...lots of questions.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Hello Gregor is a Real PersonMicrobadge: Watch it Played fanMicrobadge: Stefan Feld fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Brimstone fan
just got the game...I have no interest (as of yet) to play variant rules...

and the rules themselves are pretty straightforward and easy to understand....

where I have been running into questions is with things like the encounter and treasure cards....vagueness on exactly how it is resolved and such....

does anyone have a link to another thread where these things have already been discussed.....

that will save me from writing down and questioning things that have already been answered......

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Supertramp
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
A simple search will probably find the answers you seek.

If that's too much to sort through, try refining it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Chaos in the Old World fanMicrobadge: fan of the Board Game Replay video series!Microbadge: Watch it Played fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
This thread here seems to be the most popular of the varients.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/636825/dd-boardgames-alt...

It's from the WoA boards but it's pretty much the same game so it should be relevant. I've played about 3 games myself and still want to try more of the original rules before I mess with them. However, that list of alternate hero phase and difficulty scaling rules seems to be pretty solid. Bookmark it for later when you're ready to look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Hello Gregor is a Real PersonMicrobadge: Watch it Played fanMicrobadge: Stefan Feld fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Brimstone fan
thank you for the replies....the unofficial faq helped answer a lot of questions....

one that I still have....

if multiple heroes have the same monster (say a spider)....and the active hero attacks a spider and kills it...which spider should you kill....my guess would be start with the active heroes monsters that he controls, then move to the next hero if the active hero didn't have a spider and so on, until you find the first hero that controls that monster....

also I see that a ton of people think that the rules simply "suck" and that is why they play the variants....

what about the original rules is disliked, and what is it about the variants that people think make it a better game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Supertramp
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
VonVeederVeld wrote:
If multiple heroes have the same monster (say a spider)....and the active hero attacks a spider and kills it...which spider should you kill....my guess would be start with the active heroes monsters that he controls, then move to the next hero if the active hero didn't have a spider and so on, until you find the first hero that controls that monster....
You are correct, the active hero will always discard his first if he has that monster card in front of him.

If he doesn't, you go around the table clockwise until you reach someone who does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Harker

Kalamazoo
Michigan
msg tools
Microbadge: Pink Floyd fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Green Lantern fanMicrobadge: I love TotoroMicrobadge: Ōkami fan
VonVeederVeld wrote:

what about the original rules is disliked, and what is it about the variants that people think make it a better game...

I wouldn't say the original rules suck, but some of us feel they
are too simple or create too much of a mechanical feel to the game.
Other people were hoping for more of an epic RPG, with higher
levels and more choices.
One thing a lot of people didn't enjoy was the Encounter deck
being overwhelmingly negative, creating the feeling of a
Hit Point count down. That and the lack of initiative in
battles, so Monsters always surprise you and attack first.

When I began designing new scenarios and rules, I wanted to expand
upon what was already there. Higher levels and campaign rules,
more choices, etc. The game is fun for what it is, but with variants
it can be even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Supertramp
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I must be one of the very few who likes the rules as they are.

*shrug*

Maybe I'm a masochist, but I enjoy the challenge and tension the rules provide every single play session.

The difficult game play perfectly captures what Ravenloft, the Demiplane of Dread, is all about.

Of course, when I played D&D 2nd Edition Ravenloft adventures, player characters weren't dying left and right so easily, but with a board game like CR that has a singular focused theme of delving into Strahd's castle, the romp should not be a cakewalk.

There should always be a feeling of dread, with possible death just around the corner, waiting for the players.

The game is what it is and I knew full well what kind of game it was after a few months of research reading both positive and negative reviews.

It suits my game group just fine. We're not looking for anything epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
There is only one god and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death...
badge
Microbadge: Phish fanMicrobadge: Coheed and Cambria fanMicrobadge: Umphrey's Mcgee fanMicrobadge: moe. fanMicrobadge: Disco Biscuits fan
Agreed with 8BitAvatar. We (my small group of four gamers) too enjoy the challenge the encounter cards present. Otherwise the game really would be too easy and the notion of relying on other characters for mutual support would be diminished. Our group does not use any of the variants or alternate rules and try our very best to play per what is printed. Yes, the *way* the rules are written sucks but the rules themselves don't. Chalk me up as one that doesn't want any other RPG-ish rules than are already present. If I wanted more I would simply play a regular game of D&D (which my group does).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls