Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Board Game: Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Will I like Twighlight Imperium - need advice . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Williamson
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Runewars fanMicrobadge: Bang! fanMicrobadge: Conquest of the Empire fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fan
Hi all
Some of the games I enjoy are in no particular order :-
Runewars
Conquest of the Empire
Chaos in the Old World
Attack Deluxe
Horus Heresy

So I'm interested in TI3.
How complicated is it compared to the above list ? Will I be able to work it out ? It looks complicated ?

How long does a 4 or 5 player game really take ? I have heard up to 10 hours , is that true ?

Can you play a decent game with 2 or 3 players ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looks like you're set if those are your type of games. It is maybe a little more complicated but not by enough to really throw you through a loop, in my opinion. The game really needs 4 or more to work like the space opera it is. Oh, and the expansion is almost mandatory for game balance. As for time; 10 hours could certainly be true if you let it. Learning the rules well beforehand, focusing on the game during the game, and using time saving variants like "simulated opening turns" can shave hours easily off of that figure.

All in all I'd say its a safe choice so long as you are confident in achieving a decent player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Microbadge: Ambiguity will get you somewhereMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Instant Human - just add coffeeMicrobadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys
If you like Horus Heresy, then you can easily stomach the complexity of TI3, and you'll be used to FFG's style of writing rules already, too.

2 or 3 players really isn't where TI3 shines though. My personal favorite number of players is 5, followed by 6, and I'm not sure I'd seek a game with 4 players, definitely not less. There's no official 2-player variant, and you'll need much modding to make it work with two players (and some stuff won't work at all). I've played the game with two, and I'd rather play something else instead.

Play time ... I've had games that only lasted 3-4 hours, but that's the exception for our group. Usually, games do last 8+ hours. We've once had a 6-player game that we aborted after 13 hours. And because of play time and downtime and role selection (where less roles remain empty, thus role choice becomes less important), I think it's not really a game that works well with 7 - we only played with 7 once and decided against future plays with that number.

Nevertheless, despite the long playtime (and occasionally, because of it, because you really do build an empire), it's really quite an awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Robert
Canada
Whitehorse
Yukon Territory
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Infinity: A Skirmish Game fanMicrobadge: Night OwlMicrobadge: English syntax to Jedi not important is!Microbadge: I am a ZombieMicrobadge: Internet addict
Games I played were between 4 and 6 hours with 3-4 players. As it has been said before, if you like runewars and horus heresy this one is for you. It's a great game, but you really need the expansion, the original strategy cards are not too great. I would try it without all the variants first and then add to it as you get comfortable with the rules, but it's a little similar to runewars in which you activate the area you are moving to. Thats the one that gave my group the most trouble with, we kept forgetting that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Kneel Before Zod!Microbadge: Cricket fanMicrobadge: Settlers of Catan fanMicrobadge: IT'S A TRAP!Microbadge: Superman fan
Yes, I think you will like it. There are lots of simple ways to reduce the play time by removing large chunks of the game. The easiest way is to just play to 8 points rather than 10. I recommend doing this for the first game - you are only learning the rules and the basic flow of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
Microbadge: Twitch fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: YouTube fanMicrobadge: League of Legends fanMicrobadge: Legion of Super-Heroes fan
johnclark wrote:
Yes, I think you will like it. There are lots of simple ways to reduce the play time by removing large chunks of the game. The easiest way is to just play to 8 points rather than 10. I recommend doing this for the first game - you are only learning the rules and the basic flow of the game.

6 player- 10 points- 3 hours...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
Microbadge: Twitch fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: YouTube fanMicrobadge: League of Legends fanMicrobadge: Legion of Super-Heroes fan
haslo wrote:

Usually, games do last 8+ hours. We've once had a 6-player game that we aborted after 13 hours.

Nevertheless, despite the long playtime (and occasionally, because of it, because you really do build an empire), it's really quite an awesome game.
Do you EVEN PLAY THE GAME? 8+ or GOD FORBID 13 hours?????

I'm sure these games are possible if you don't pursue the VP...but WHY???

Just to get all the techs? that doesn't make any sense.

Why not just start out with all the TECHS and save some time.

You need to explain the 13+ hour Debacle!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls