Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

:
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Kashmir Event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This event says to shift Pakistan one box towards Adversary and place a cell there. Does this mean that if it is already neutral that it becomes adversary?

The Jihadobot played this as its very first event. I played that it shifted Pakistan to Fair Adversary but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance,

-Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sy
msg tools
Microbadge: Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage fanMicrobadge: RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 fanMicrobadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Card-Driven Wargames fanMicrobadge: Sword of Rome fan
You played it correctly. As an aside, that's a pretty grim outlook for the US in Pakistan unless you come up with the Bhutto or Musharraf card asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SCUGrad wrote:
As an aside, that's a pretty grim outlook for the US in Pakistan unless you come up with the Bhutto or Musharraf card asap.
Exactly! That was brutal! I don't believe there is any way to shift an adversary to neutral or ally that isn't under Islamic rule except via events correct?

Hopefully I'll pull Indo-Pakistani Talks.

Thanks for responding,

-Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Falling Sky fan - ArverniMicrobadge: Falling Sky fan - BelgicMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Falling Sky fan - AeduiMicrobadge: Falling Sky fan - Roman
Correct (for Pakistan; Iraq and Libya have their "WMD" events).

Another couple possibilities for you are "Covert Action" and "Back Channel".

Have a nice day.

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fan
And of course hoping for Major Failure on a Major Jihad attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: New Orleans Saints fanMicrobadge: Martini lover
Wouldn't it be safer for the Islamist player to try only two ops major juhads and avoid the risk of a major jihad failure? As I understand it, a major jihad failure only occurs on a three die roll failure, requiring a 3 op to be used. But if only a 2 op is used, while it may take longer (with the probable assitance of a beseiged regieme along the way) to get to an Islamist state, it keeps the US out unless there is a card letting them in. This happened to me in my first (an only) game where the card was played on the first turn changing Pakistan to adversary. All I could do was just watch while they took the nukes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Falling Sky fan - ArverniMicrobadge: Falling Sky fan - BelgicMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Falling Sky fan - AeduiMicrobadge: Falling Sky fan - Roman
Interesting idea! You are correct on the rules.

Of course, no Besieged Regime either, the jihadists have only a 1-in-4 shot each card, and cells die on any failed rolls and therefore would need to be re-recruited.

In the meantime, the US should be making hay elsewhere.

vfr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: New Orleans Saints fanMicrobadge: Martini lover
Thank you for your reply. Of course, this tactic revolves around the early possession of the Kashmir event card, but having to possibly recruit a few times seems like a small price to pay for getting three nukes.

The same tactic could be used in any adversary country, but without the reward of the nukes. All the US can do is pray to get an applicable card.

In my game, despite the Islamist getting the three nukes very early, I was extermely lucky in getting Afganistan to Good governance and out of regime change, followed up with a quick regime change in Pakistan and another Good governance. In fact, the Gulf States also moved to Good Governance. It was Wal-Marts and McDonalds everywhere! Combined with some cards that seriously cut the funding, I was able to keep the pressure on the Islamists so that they were never able to use one of the nukes. It ended with a one deck US victory with no Islamist states and eight resource points of Good governance. Afganistan became the 51st state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls