Subject: Travel strategy games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: card [+] strategy, [+] Travel, [+] [View All]
Tracy Massey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools

Hi all,
My husband and I have really gotten into some strategy games (ie: Alhumbra, Arkham Horror and Defenders of the Realm). We will be traveling to Europe for a few months and, obviously, don't have room for those large game boxes in our suitcases. Has anyone played some of the new LCG's (Living Card Games)?? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Tracy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: University of OregonMicrobadge: BirdwatcherMicrobadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game and Warhammer: Invasion are both good LCGs but do have big boxes. How about some smaller travel games? I recommend:

Jaipur
Batt'l Kha'os
Mr. Jack Pocket
Ingenious: Travel Edition
Blokus Duo
Parade
Famiglia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
affa izaki
Indonesia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Free Print & Play Game DesignerMicrobadge: ASLSK#1 fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Adventure of D fanMicrobadge: 1 Full-Page Label PnP Contest participant
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game: Space Marine Pack 1

recomended

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pax Renaissance fanMicrobadge: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan fanMicrobadge: Pax Porfiriana fanMicrobadge: Archipelago fanMicrobadge: I love the Dominican Republic!
Definitely Innovation. And try some of the games published by Small Box Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: University of OregonMicrobadge: BirdwatcherMicrobadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
topdeckgames wrote:
Definitely Innovation. And try some of the games published by Small Box Games.
+1 Small Box: Bhazum is excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
Microbadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Variant DesignerMicrobadge: Razor Sharp - BGG Women's Forum participantMicrobadge: DIY Expansion DesignerMicrobadge: Appreciate the little things in life
Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans
Pocket Battles: Elves vs. Orcs

These actually do fit easily into a jacket pocket.

Also, you can get small travel versions of chess, Othello, Scrabble, etc. that come in small cases with the board on the inside of the case. I have even found magnetic or peg ones, so the pieces stay in place easier when playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Massey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the recommendations! I have a lot of research to do. Are any of these type of games Co Op. I love strategy games... but my husband blows me out of the water. It's nice when we both win or both lose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Caylus Magna Carta fanMicrobadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: 7 Wonders fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Stronghold fan
Space Hulk: Death Angel is compact and cooperative. So is Onirim. On the non cooperative portable front I recommend Hive if you like abstracts, Pocket Rockets if you want something a little more obscure from an amazing designer, and anything from Nestorgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Minimalist fanMicrobadge: LudologistMicrobadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: Gaming Missionary - I try to convert everybody I know to gaming!Microbadge: Geek Regular
Traders of Carthage
Biblios
Summoner Wars
Cold War: CIA vs KGB
Dragonheart
Citadels
Triumvirate
Haggis
Fjords
2 de Mayo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Surly Brewing Co. fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Pipe smokerMicrobadge: Eminent Domain fan
+1 for Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game as a co-op.

I have played Warhammer: Invasion and I find it quite fun. It has a fair number of extra things to it though (the boards and resource bits) so if you are considering that I would recommend looking into At the Gates of Loyang as a strategy game that is easily transported. It's really easy to adapt this game to a smaller playing surface if need be.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, check out Jambo as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Kiva - Team BoardGameGeek memberMicrobadge: Martin Gardner fanMicrobadge: SAZ memberMicrobadge: John Nash, mathematician and game theorist, 1928–2015Microbadge: I love West Papua
Among the LCGs I´d recommend Elemental Clash: The Basic Set (if you like classic fantasy) or thing=88408][/thing] (if you like vampires)
Another good (board game like) strategy card game is Im Auftrag des Königs.
Further, you should have a look at nestorgames. All their games are easy to take away and most of them are best with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Seattle Sounders FC fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Rocket League fanMicrobadge: I love BrooklynMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"
Fjords is a very portable game. Just ditch the box it comes in and grab something like an ultra-pro deck box from your local card shop to carry it around.

Race for the Galaxy can also be stuffed into a few deck boxes for transportation. Just print out a copy of the rules and icon cheat sheet that you don't mind being folded.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is probably a game more up your alley. I have the regular edition and it is a very small box. Not sure how big the new deluxe edition is.

As for co-op Red November comes in a tiny box that should be easy to travel with. Never played it so I am not sure how well it plays with, but it has good reviews.

Ingenious: Travel Edition and Blokus Duo are both good choices too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Care Bear GamerMicrobadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Respect
Kilde wrote:
As for co-op Red November comes in a tiny box that should be easy to travel with. Never played it so I am not sure how well it plays with, but it has good reviews.
Red November can be played with 2 players, but it tends to be a bit dull if you only play one gnome each. You can play 2 each and get the full chaotic experience.

Space Hulk: Death Angel is a small-box co-op, as mentioned (but I haven't played it). And Onirim can be played cooperatively or solitaire, although I consider it more of a time-passer than a great game.

three other compact cooperative games I can think of: The Isle of Doctor Necreaux, Chaos Isle: Zombi Deck, and Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord (the latter requiring some dice and tokens in addition to the cards, and using variant rules posted on BGG).

My impression is that almost all of these are higher on the randomness than you would find in larger box co-ops like Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls