Subject: Heroes: Officer Question/Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Firth
United States
Sanger
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Copper Board Game Collector
I've been playing through my first game and learning the rules as I go. While most of my questions have been answered by the rules or various postings here, there's one I'm still uncertain about.

While the Warrior automatically adds a +2 to a wall's defense, the Officer must spend hourglasses to get the +1 that is added to units on the wall where he is at. Right? It's not a passive ability like the Warrior's, is it? And no one unit can get more than +1 from the Officer, can they? Would appreciate the help with this.

One more thing while I'm thinking about it. I have a black circular block the same size as the Officer and Warrior blocks. I haven't found anything about how it is used in the game. Am I overlooking something? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Austrian EconomicsMicrobadge: Twenty One Pilots fanMicrobadge: Electrical EngineerMicrobadge: iOS DeveloperMicrobadge: Retired
Both the Officer and Warrior possess attributes inherently. In addition to those attributes, they can be activated for additional Actions by paying the requisite Hourglasses to perform those Actions.

So, your Officer -- by being present -- provides each Defender at the Officer's wall segment with +1 Strength.

By ADDING Hourglasses to the officer, you add additional +1 Strength for each. Units, naturally, must be present at the wall for the Speech to be effective.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a whileMicrobadge: Christian
Again, the black marker that looks like a Hero is the Gate Toughness marker.

It is the 3rd item listed under components on page 2. We did miss it on the visual component description on page 3. I think the reason we skipped it (whether on purpose or not) is that it is only used when the Ram is in play. So page 5, under the Barbican, explains the setup there.

The 4 extra resources does appear to be a mistake from the printer. We carried 16 all through proofing. Unless there was a last minute discovery showing that we needed 4 more resources that I am not aware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: food can never be too spicyMicrobadge: French Press Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Kansas City Chiefs fanMicrobadge: Splatoon fanMicrobadge: Golden Retriever lover
ColtsFan76 wrote:
The 4 extra resources does appear to be a mistake from the printer. We carried 16 all through proofing. Unless there was a last minute discovery showing that we needed 4 more resources that I am not aware of.
Brian, can you clarify what you're referring to here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Jim K wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Brian, can you clarify what you're referring to here?
The rules state you should have 16 resources. But the game comes with 20. Not sure why. Either it was the printer's mistake or Valley discovered a last minute need to include the 4 extra. But since resources are means to be limited, you should set the 4 extra aside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: food can never be too spicyMicrobadge: French Press Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Kansas City Chiefs fanMicrobadge: Splatoon fanMicrobadge: Golden Retriever lover
ahh gotcha. I believe I remember noticing that when I got the game, but I totally forgot about it. It hasn't come into play with us in 2-players games, as I'm usually done building things by turn 3 or 4 usually. I can see it possibly being an issue in a 3- or 4-player game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Trombik
Switzerland
Zuerich
flag msg tools
badge
Have I answered all your Questions and provided good Customer Service? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! That's the Paradox, my Friend!
Microbadge: StarCraft: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Conquest of Nerath fanMicrobadge: DVONN fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fan
Officer's Special Speech Action:

Quote from Invader's Book, Page 10:

Each Defending Unit receives +1 Strength at the Officer's Wall Section:

This is clear, no doubt. But:

For Every Hourglass spent, the Officer adds +1 Strength at his Wall Section. At least One Unit must be present.

The answer of Aaxiom doesn't really clarify this to me, as thematically the Officer could put One single Unit so much into Rage, that the Wall Section gets X Strength stronger (X = 1,2,3,or 4 Hourglasses), kinda Assigning as many Hourglasses as I have(up to Four), thanks to one Unit present(at least One Unit must be present).

Or is it really One Unit = 1 Hourglass = +1 Wall Strength?
I have 2 Units, then the Wall is +2 Strength only, even if I have 3 Hourglasses?

Last but not least, if NO unit is present, then the Officer's Speech cannot be used, this is clear to me, no doubt.

Please advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
The Officer only needs one unit present to add strength. He can spend as much as he wants (up to 4 hour glasses). So 1 unit and 4 hourglasses = +4 strength.

If no units are there, you can spend the hourglasses but they won't take effect if no one is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Heroes of the Storm fanMicrobadge: Miami Dolphins fanMicrobadge: Tampa Bay Lightning fanMicrobadge: Darkest Dungeon fanMicrobadge: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft fan
ColtsFan76 wrote:
The Officer only needs one unit present to add strength. He can spend as much as he wants (up to 4 hour glasses). So 1 unit and 4 hourglasses = +4 strength.
I don't believe this is clarified in the manual, but do all hourglasses assigned to the Officer need to be assigned in a single phase (i.e., for example, not able to assign 2 hourglasses earned in Phase 2 and two earned in Phase 3)? I've been playing it that they do, since doing so is considered taking the hero's Special Action, in which case the hero can no longer move for the remainder of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mysterio wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I don't believe this is clarified in the manual, but do all hourglasses assigned to the Officer need to be assigned in a single phase (i.e., for example, not able to assign 2 hourglasses earned in Phase 2 and two earned in Phase 3)? I've been playing it that they do, since doing so is considered taking the hero's Special Action, in which case the hero can no longer move for the remainder of the turn.
Yes, on p. 10 defender. "Additionally, each of them may take 1 Special Action once per turn that will help the Defender in the fight against the Invader."

The Speech is his special action so you can only assign hourglasses once, all at the same time. To mark it, just place the hourglasses on or near him as a reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
aaxiom wrote:
Bansko wrote:
The answer of Aaxiom doesn't really clarify this to me, as thematically the Officer could put One single Unit so much into Rage, that the Wall Section gets X Strength stronger (X = 1,2,3,or 4 Hourglasses), kinda Assigning as many Hourglasses as I have(up to Four), thanks to one Unit present(at least One Unit must be present).

Or is it really One Unit = 1 Hourglass = +1 Wall Strength?
I have 2 Units, then the Wall is +2 Strength only, even if I have 3 Hourglasses?
From the rules, which I find to be pretty clear on this issue:

Quote:

OFFICER
Attribute: Each Defender’s Unit receives +1 to Strength, due
to the fact that they’re fighting under the Officer’s command.
Action: Speech
- Cost: 1-4 Hourglasses
- Effect: For every spent Hourglass the Officer adds +1 to
Defender’s Strength at his wall Section.
Is there some ambiguity here that I am failing to see?
I am not sure what your original "thematic" answer was to him so not sure what is creating the ambiguity.

But there are two effects going on. Each unit that is there gets +1 strength. And if at least one unit is there, the wall gets +1 strength for each hourglass spent (up to 4). The rules are clear to me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sorry Brian...I really don't mean to beat this issue to death, there's just a little detail I can't get past. Wouldn't the sum be +5 strength? If the Officer himself gives a +1 bonus, wouldn't adding 4 hourglasses be an additional +4 on top of that 1, giving a total of +5? Otherwise, what is the point of adding that first hourglass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Jim K wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sorry Brian...I really don't mean to beat this issue to death, there's just a little detail I can't get past. Wouldn't the sum be +5 strength? If the Officer himself gives a +1 bonus, wouldn't adding 4 hourglasses be an additional +4 on top of that 1, giving a total of +5? Otherwise, what is the point of adding that first hourglass?

The answer was in regards to his special action, not his attribute. That was the framework for my response.

For each unit present, they get +1 based on his attribute. This costs nothing.

Then the Officer can choose to give a speech. For each hour he speaks, he adds a generic strength to the wall. But he can only give this speech if he has an audience. So with one unit present he can add up to 4 more strength to the wall. Even with 4 units present, he still only adds up to 4 strength to the wall, one for each hourglass.

But this added strength is separate from the attribute he already gave them. So yes, 1 unit and 4 hourglasses would be a total of +5 strength (1 for his attribute and 4 for the speech). 4 units and 4 hourglasses gets you +8 total. And with no units present you aren't getting any strength no matter how many hourglasses you spend.

Does this clear it up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
yes, much thanks. I wanted to make sure that an Officer with 4 hourglasses added +5 to the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls