• [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Kubrick fanMicrobadge: Marcel Duchamp fanMicrobadge: Rules TranslatorMicrobadge: Marcel Duchamp fanMicrobadge: Buster Keaton fan
Yep - Essen 2011, this should be published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Any info on language dependency? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
kneumann wrote:
Any info on language dependency? Thanks
German rules are now posted on the Ravensburger website, with a link to them on this game page. Seems like the electronic device would make it tough for non-German speakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tuba fanMicrobadge: RSP Dominionist (sympathizer)Microbadge: Taco de Mayo 2018 - I ate 31 tacos in 31 days!Microbadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Kiwanis
Chat bubble looks german...

Board Game: Schnappt Hubi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Copper Boardgame Uploader
The game is talking to the kiddies. In German though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Copper Boardgame Uploader
The game just won the Kinder-SDJ 2012. It IS language dependent. Anyone maybe remembers Wer Wars (Whowasit). There is an electronic device that talks and leads through the game. The advantage is that this makes for a good atmosphere and theme and children do not need to be able to read. The disadvantage is that the device only talks in its native programmed language, which is german of course. If You do not understand spoken German (or Your children do not) the game is plain unplayable sadly. Maybe Ravensburger will bring out an english version, which is more likely after winning the award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: 1st & Goal fanMicrobadge: Rallyman fanMicrobadge: Space Alert fanMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG poster
How much German would I need to learn to translate and play this with my daughter? Is it as simple as learning a half dozen phrases?

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
Actually the guys from the spiel (thespiel.net) have their newest podcast on and they did play it. They really played it without knowing german. You need to have translated rules (easy) and then know 11 words in German. Half a dozen wont suffice though, make it (almost) a dozen.

a) 5 types of walls that You put in the game board:
aa) (solid) wall = Mauer
ab) mouse hole = Mauseloch (hole on the bottom, where a mouse can slip through, but a rabbit is too big to fit)
ac) hare window = Hasenfenster (a window on the top, where a hare can jump through, but a mouse is too small)
ad) magic door = Zaubertür
ae) free pass, hole in the wall = Freier Durchgang

b) 4 types of animals that give locations and speak to you. These animals are when they speak announced by typical sounds like a quak so this is easier here
ba) toad = Kröte
bb) millipede = Tausendfüssler
bc) bat = Fledermaus
bd) owl = Eule

c) these animals come in two colours
ca) black = Schwarz
cb) white = Weiss

Thats it!! Of course the story will be not as immersing for You two but You can play it by listening for only these 11 words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: 1st & Goal fanMicrobadge: Rallyman fanMicrobadge: Space Alert fanMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG poster
Mmm, what is the significance of the four animals and the color? As I understand it, the four player animals (two hares and two mice) have to discover how the labyrinth is constructed, then have to stand on both sides of the magic door to open it.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Kubrick fanMicrobadge: Marcel Duchamp fanMicrobadge: Rules TranslatorMicrobadge: Marcel Duchamp fanMicrobadge: Buster Keaton fan
This is the first part, followed by the second. Now they have to chase down the ghost Hubi, and the AI is giving hints, where he is, using the animals on the floor to identify rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
Maybe to clarify this a bit:

In the first phase the players need to find and then open the magic door. Magic doors open when one player is on each side.
In the second phase the players need to find and catch Hubi the ghost. He is caught when 2 players are in the same room with him.
So You have 2 to 4 player animals (one/two hares, one/two mice). Those play and do move within the haunted house. Which animals turn it is is depicted by the magic compass with led lights and also spoken out, but due to the lights those words are not included in the 11-word-list as not essential. Then You have the other animals (toad, millipede...) which do a) talk to the players and give hints and directions and b) are a direction. Example: You ask "have You seen my keys" and Your spouse says "I have seen them lying on a table". So the animals would say something like "the door is where an owl is".

The 4 player animals have colours to identify them (as there is 2 of each type). Which type of animal a player is determines his/her moving possibilities, a hare can jump through a hare window, a mouse cannot. But a mouse can walk through a mousehole, which a hare cannot. Both can walk through a free pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
Oups I think I misunderstood. There are 4 player animals (2 hares, 2 mice). Then 4 kinds of animals who live in the haunted house. Please be aware 4 kinds, there are way more than 4 as each room in the haunted house is occupied by one of those animals: white/black toad, millipede, bat, owl. Sort of player A (green hare) visits room X, occupied by a black toad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
Ah okay, I just looked at the picture of the board before any of the walls were placed and I see the other four animals now, as well as the two colors. It looks like there are two of each color and animal in the house? (black toad exists in two places)

I already figured out the mouse VS hare movement based on the walls. It's quite clever and looks like an amazing production

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
Indeed this makes sense. The board is a 4 by 4 grid - 16 rooms to the house:
- 2 rooms occupied by a black toad
- 2 rooms occupied by a white toad
- 2 rooms occupied by a black owl
- 2 rooms occupied by a white owl...
4 animals times 2 colours times 2 of each = 16.

2 of each are so the game is not too easy - though its obviously geared at the younger children, younger than Whoowasit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls