Subject: Can it be played with SPQR? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Charles S. Roberts fanMicrobadge: Vietnam Service MedalMicrobadge: Purple HeartMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ years
A question for those of you who stumble upon this and can possibly answer it: I see Tyrant is highly rated, and it's in an area I'm interested in. BUT, I have little interest in Alexander the Great so I don't own the base game. I do, however, have a keen interest in all things Roman and own SPQR and most all of the expansions. So the question, since Tyrant uses mostly the counters that come with the game, can I fill out the counters needed from SPQR?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tom Waits fanMicrobadge: Ancients WargamerMicrobadge: Kate Bush fanMicrobadge: Suzanne Vega fanMicrobadge: Hoplite fan
Each scenario from Tyrant uses counters from Alexander. Scenario setups also don`t give precise information about needed counter values... and you`ll need leaders, cavalry, infantry light and heavy (double hex HI/HO units among others).

It`d be difficult to substitute necessary counters with SPQR counter-mix. Maybe possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Left Joy ConMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Godzilla, King of the MonstersMicrobadge: Illimat fan - Society of Luminaries InitiateMicrobadge: Right Joy Con
Also, the Deluxe Alex rules are slightly different than SPQR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Charles S. Roberts fanMicrobadge: Vietnam Service MedalMicrobadge: Purple HeartMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ years
Thanks, guys. I wasn't sure anyone would even see my question. From what you say, I guess I'll have to hold off on Tyrant for a while - I won't buy Alexander just to play Tyrant, but my interest in Alexander the Great is minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
from Game Crafter
badge
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Tottenham fanMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Gold game rater - I've rated 500+ games on the Geek
You could check the Counter Database to see if there are suitable substitute counters available in SPQR.

The counter and scenario database is available in the Files section of the War Elephant page.

Great Battles of History Database of counters & scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls