Subject: First game with Alvin and Dexter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Clank! fanMicrobadge: Duke UniversityMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: BGG.CON Virtual Flea Market fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
So I bought the Alvin and Dexter expansion a few weeks back and did not have the chance to give it a try until tonight. Our game consisted of 4 players who are not serious gamers (except me) who like only simple, fast paced easy to learn and play games. Ticket to Ride is obviously a good choice for this group. Although the 4 of us have played TTR many times, I was not sure how they would like Alvin and Dexter. They were all complaining "let's just play the normal way" or "I don't want to add stuff to the game". Using my firm manly voice I said "Well let's just try it this once, if you don't like it we wont use it anymore. They all unwillingly agreed. So i took all 3 minuts of time to explain the rules. We started the game and nobody seemed to pay much attention to the vicious beast in the begining. I moved him a few times just to get some A&D cards to have a jump on the 15 pointers. Others slowly caught on to what I was doing. The good thing about the expansion is that it does not completely change game play. It just may cost you an extra locomotive which in turn could get you 15 extra points. So I really really like Alvin and Dexter. I think they add just the right amount of ? to the game. By games end, I had ganied the Alvin card, and the person to my right had gained the Dexter card. My strategy was to use them both to try and be in the running for both 15 point cards. But the guy to my right had the strategy of moving just one frequently. He came in first, and I came in second. The other two were not far behind me. If they would have gotten a monster's 15 points maybe they would have won.

After the game they all liked Alvin and Dexter. So I guess we will have to invite the two terrifying choas creating monsters to our next game of Ticket to Ride!

I give this expansion an A+ for an A+ game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Meyer
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
My wife and I played a couple of games of TTRE w/the Alvin/Dexter addition....it can make a 2 handed game a bit more spicey, since routes can be shut off or put in check more quickly, slowing the opponent down a bit...of course, the entire concept could have been produced for a lot less than the $15 or so for two plastic toy characters and some cards, but hey, that's capitalism....I'd give it a strong 7....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls