Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
Microbadge: Washington's War fan Microbadge: "I am not throwing away my shot!"Microbadge: Philadelphia 76'ers fanMicrobadge: Mark Herman fanMicrobadge: Michael Rinella Fan
I have until April 25 to take advantage of the 50% off / Facebook offer.

I thought it through long and hard and was prepared to order For the People, and D'OH!!! Out of stock.

Now I'm back to the thinking phase.

Tastes: I love a bunch of CDG: Washington's War, Wilderness War, Paths of Glory, Twilight Struggle, Barbarossa to Berlin, Hearts and Minds.

Hex-and-Counter: I like GMT's Battles of the American Revolution series (I have all of them except Pensacola). I like Panzer Grenadier games, and old school Avalon Hill games (ex: Afrika Korps, The Battle of the Bulge)

I love Memoir and Battle Cry. I played a buddy's C+C: Anicents game and liked it (no surprise).

My gaming tastes are on my profile if you need more info.

B2B is about as heavy as I get when it comes to complexity. (From what I heard, I was going out on a limb with FtP -- but it looked like it might be worth it).

I also play mostly solitaire (unless I can get VASSAL PBEM). I have no problem playing my CDGs solitaire.

With that in mind, here is what I was looking at:

Combat Commander: Europe
Combat Commander: Pacific
Commands & Colors: Ancients

C+C:A is the one I have experience with. I can't get much of a gauge of Combat Commander. The description sounds Memoir-ish to me with more complexity (I never played Up Front, so the similarities to it that I see listed are lost on me). If it's the one to go with, which one should I get: Europe or Pacific?

If there is another one I don't have listed, I'm open to suggestions, and to help with that, here are the GMT games that I have:

Battle Line
Brandywine
Empire of the Sun
Germantown
Glory III
Guilford
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001-?
Monmouth
Pacific Typhoon
Paths of Glory
Saratoga
Savannah
Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965
Twilight Struggle
Washington's War
Wilderness War
World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
Microbadge: I bought this microbadge just for the halibut.Microbadge: "No, I'm not a guinea pig.  I'm a capybara!"Microbadge: No microbadge collection is complete without a plastic pink flamingo.Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!Microbadge: Mutt lover - We don't need no pedigree!
Go with a classic - Manoeuvre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Blackadder fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Oakland Athletics fanMicrobadge: Grant Morrison fanMicrobadge: Great War Commander fan
I have played Combat Commander solo and it usually plays very well. My last play was a bit of a dog as I couldn't get any cards for either side and things were very stagnant for a bit. Usually though it can be pretty tense as you can't get your little cardboard guys to execute your grand scheme. Stupid Command Confusion cards.

I have both C&C Ancients and Napoleonics and they are great games as well. Especially since you can play a few scenarios in one sitting.

If you went for Combat Commander I would probably lean towards Pacific. Not too many tactical WWII games have scenarios from this theater. Well ASL will when the PTO module comes out in 2012 or 13 or... Still I think CC: P is probably my favorite of the three. I like playing with the Commonwealth troops. And the New Guinea battle pack is coming round the bend. If you like it you'll end up buying everything anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Seven Years WargamerMicrobadge: American Revolutionary WargamerMicrobadge: Games Receiving the Calandale Video Treatment fanMicrobadge: Civil WargamerMicrobadge: Wargamer - WW2
SPQR (Deluxe Edition) has the best value for your hard earned bucks provided you are interested in Ancient warfare. In case you do not know, it is part of the Great Battles of History series and there is also a Simple Great Battles of History guide for sale for more accessible play.(I can sell you a new copy if you can't find one).

I actually bought The Battle for Normandy;a playable monster game with individual scenario's. The expansion is expected 'soon' (The Battle for Normandy Expansion) and provides additional smaller scenario's. MOREOVER, a new monster game with the same system from the same designer about Sicily is in the make!!

Anyhow, just thinking ahead and out of the -big- box.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
Microbadge: Reds! The Russian Civil War 1918-1921 fanMicrobadge: Haruki Murakami fanMicrobadge: FirefighterMicrobadge: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn fanMicrobadge: Quantity has a quality of its own
I'll second that vote on SPQR.

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Harry's Grand Slam Baseball fanMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG posterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: My Little Pony Hide&Seek fan
Unhappy King Charles for you: I could do with a few quid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fireteam Zero fan - monsters!Microbadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: Underwater Cities fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Australia - The Lucky Country
Charles Vasey wrote:
Such a Vasey....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rasmussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: Fantasy Flight Games fanMicrobadge: Houston Rockets fanMicrobadge: Musket & Pike series fanMicrobadge: GMT fan
Charles Vasey wrote:
I ordered that one.. should arrive any week now whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Microbadge: New England Patriots fanMicrobadge: Parent of Three Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: Vassal playerMicrobadge: Home BrewerMicrobadge: Jimmy Buffett fan
I'd get Asia Engulfed. At $20 it becomes a steal even if you end up using it as trade bait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper GeeklisterMicrobadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Band of Brothers fan
Stradk wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:
I ordered that one.. should arrive any week now whistle

As did I. Big fan of the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
Microbadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Warriors of God - The Wars of England & France, 1135-1453 fanMicrobadge: Tide of Iron fanMicrobadge: 1775: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors: Napoleonics fan
I actually stepped out of the box and got Dominant species. I have too many unplayed wargames and gonna try this one in the hopes my son wants to play it. It seems like an amazing game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Fleet Battles fanMicrobadge: Fascinating!Microbadge: Legendary Monthly Video Game Geek Review Contest winnerMicrobadge: KHAAAAAAANNNN!!!!!Microbadge: ASL fan
If you like PoG, I would definitely recommend Pursuit of Glory. Very well done, and so far, I'm liking it a bit better than PoG (though my PoG experience is still a bit limited).

Unhappy King Charles! is also recommended. I've only gotten one game in, but I think it does a good job with the period.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with getting your own CC:A set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls