Subject: Where to start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: Peace and ToleranceMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Runewars fan
Hello guys, I'm interested in taking the plunge to V&V. Not because it's free (being free does contribute, but it's not all). A few years ago I told a friend who's a wargamer about V&V and its turn sequence, and he remarked that it's similar to ASL. A few weeks ago I asked him, "Is there any games that can portray all/nearly all the WWII battles, excluding Memoir '44?" And he said "ASL."

So here I am, ready to get it on. But I feel a little overwhelmed with all the available resources... counters, maps, and scenarios. If any of V&V enthusiasts can point which one(s) to make first, I'll be helped immensely.

Note that I've never played a hex & counter games all my life, but has been interested in them for quite a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of Twin Boy and GirlMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Navajo Wars fanMicrobadge: I play both wargames and euros
Hi, and welcome to the club! I would suggest starting with the "Starters Kit". It has the minimum amount of counters needed to play 2 scenarios. You only need 2 maps and the counters and off you go. It's the easiest route and requires very little work to get going. So check out: Starters Kit Counter Sheet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Twin GirlsMicrobadge: Legends of Andor fanMicrobadge: Valor and Victory fanMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Drums player
What Tuomo said...

Too bad there are no videos (yet) for V&V, that could explain the things going on - á la Joe Steadman's introduction to ASL(SK)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of Three Boys and One GirlMicrobadge: Eagle ScoutMicrobadge: FIRST robotics - Sport for the Mind

Someone was working on a "Starter Kit" last summer but I don't see it anywhere here or on V&V's site. Did it ever get published? A single zip file that had the four or five pieces required would be very helpful. If it already exists this would be a great place to link to it.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Twin GirlsMicrobadge: Legends of Andor fanMicrobadge: Valor and Victory fanMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Drums player
Sagrilarus wrote:

Someone was working on a "Starter Kit" last summer but I don't see it anywhere here or on V&V's site. Did it ever get published? A single zip file that had the four or five pieces required would be very helpful. If it already exists this would be a great place to link to it.

S.

What Tuomo said (2x)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of Twin Boy and GirlMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Navajo Wars fanMicrobadge: I play both wargames and euros
Does it echo in here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of Three Boys and One GirlMicrobadge: Eagle ScoutMicrobadge: FIRST robotics - Sport for the Mind
Tinimini wrote:
Does it echo in here?
    It does, but someone brand new to the game doesn't have any foundation and doesn't know what is needed, especially now that the game is accumulating so many separate files. The link in the files section is "sufficient" but does not provide any footing or context to let a new user proceed with confidence. A new user knows nothing -- they need a short list of everything in one location, fully linked so they know they're not overlooking something. It also needs to be easy to find.

This is what is needed to play a simple, straightforward first combat mission in Valor & Victory:

The Rules:
http://www.valorandvictory.com/vv_files/vv_captains_edition_...

The Counters:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/6b0xzlvd0x/Starte...

First Combat Mission:
Scenario H1:
http://www.valorandvictory.com/vv_files/situation_h1.pdf

Map Needed for First Combat Mission:
Map 2, required for Scenario H1:
http://www.valorandvictory.com/vv_files/map_2_hedgerows.pdf

Seasoned veterans -- please let me know if I have overlooked anything or included something incorrectly. With a title like "Where to Start" new users will come here looking for guidance and everything here needs to be correct.

If this material exists somewhere else in a combined form let me know too please. In my opinion Mr. Doyle would do well to build a single download on his website that works as a fully complete package. This is just a repackage of existing material, but would ease new users past the entry barrier.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:
It does, but someone brand new to the game doesn't have any foundation and doesn't know what is needed, especially now that the game is accumulating so many separate files. The link in the files section is "sufficient" but does not provide any footing or context to let a new user proceed with confidence.
Point taken. Although the same information you gave is actually clearly written down at the file page I linked to. But you are right, one shouldn't leave any stones unturned. God knows I only started with this game a month or two ago, so I was in the same situation. So have some gold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
    I pulled an Apple on you -- I took something that you've already created and put it into a pretty wrapper. It's now time for me to take all the credit!

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Its the first of April, folks!
Pray that the OP did not prank us all kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: Peace and ToleranceMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Runewars fan
Joeyeti wrote:
I didn't
From gallery of Sevej
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sevej wrote:
Joeyeti wrote:
I didn't
From gallery of Sevej
Nice one!
Which software was it created with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Modern Art fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fan
Joeyeti wrote:
Which software was it created with?
Yes, please let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Photoshop. I hate drawing trees... in fact, haven't found the way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sevej wrote:
Photoshop. I hate drawing trees... in fact, haven't found the way to do it.
Very nice job and good skills!

I would then also like to share something (though not as good as yours)

From gallery of Joeyeti
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Modern Art fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fan
Can you post a higher res version or email that to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
DaveyJJ wrote:
Can you post a higher res version or email that to me?
Is this for Joe or me?

Well, I don't want to linger too long. Scale is a little screwed. I really like the bold vegetation outline on the original map, but can't imitate it without a lot of extra work.

From gallery of Sevej

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I presume yours, Aswin
Mine pales a bit in comparison!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Unknown fan
Wow. That looks REALLY slick. I love it, in other words. I think it's the shading that really makes it work so well. Can you perhaps upload a high-res version of that to the files section, so I can download it?? :) In fact, I'd love to see any other boards you've done!

Edit: Hmm, I must have clicked the wrong reply button. This is directed towards Aswin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Sevej wrote:

Is this for Joe or me?

Both, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DaveyJJ wrote:
Sevej wrote:

Is this for Joe or me?

Both, sorry.
Mine will be an Inkscape file with overlays and such. Currently I am vectorizing the buildings (takes some time as I have to add some underlay to them) and also will be making the woods and hills and stuff yet. But once the basics are ready, i will post it up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
I will certainly post them after I finished. There is a slight problem though... I was making it for these 1" counters. So lines may be thinner than they are meant to be when printed on the standard V&V map size.

From gallery of Sevej

I need to redraw the farms...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Unknown fan
No worries; you could just upload another copy of the maps without the hexes if you'd like. Have fun. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls