Hide
9 Posts

Board Game: Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Time / Long Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nisimmo wrote:
Unsuccessfully, we all tried to leave the brig which further depleted our cards and unleashed a flood of bad effects from crises. As our resources dwindled one question remained...who was the final cylon? Remember when I said earlier that Baltar used his ability to check the Chief's hand? Lesson Number 2: When checking a loyalty card, be sure to READ THE CARD CORRECTLY! Our president somehow MISREAD his wife's card and thought she was human while all along she was the sleeper agent who lead the crew to their demise.
I hear one complaint from newbies to the game, but NOT to co-op gaming in general, is that you can just put everyone except one person in the Brig so that you only have one crisis card to worry about per round of turns. In the meantime, everyone else can stock up on skill cards. This doesn't work because of precisely what you described in your session report. Problem is, everyone else can only play one skill card into each skill check while they're in the Brig. Then you need to play some cards to get out of the Brig. If there are cylons on the outside, then they will simply rain trouble down on you all.

BTW, since you were all in the Brig, did the revealed cylon players just spam Caprica location to draw crisis cards to deplete your resources, or did they play a super crisis card?

Glad you enjoyed them! I prefer games with both expansions (I did pay for them), but push come to shove, I wouldn't mind playing just the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GHS memberMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
ackmondual wrote:
nisimmo wrote:
Unsuccessfully, we all tried to leave the brig which further depleted our cards and unleashed a flood of bad effects from crises.....
.... everyone except one person in the Brig so that you only have one crisis card to worry about per round of turns.
I guess I'm just a cynic who worries about beginner errors, but I read the original as "they kept drawing crises while in the brig" instead of skipping the crisis step.

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GerryRailBaron wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
nisimmo wrote:
Unsuccessfully, we all tried to leave the brig which further depleted our cards and unleashed a flood of bad effects from crises.....
.... everyone except one person in the Brig so that you only have one crisis card to worry about per round of turns.
I guess I'm just a cynic who worries about beginner errors, but I read the original as "they kept drawing crises while in the brig" instead of skipping the crisis step.

Gerry
I gotta be honest, I sort of got that impression too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GHS memberMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
nisimmo wrote:
Hope that makes sense.
It makes great sense, and my apologies for assuming you fell into beginner trap #1 "incorrectly drawing a crisis while in the brig".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GerryRailBaron wrote:
nisimmo wrote:
Hope that makes sense.
It makes great sense, and my apologies for assuming you fell into beginner trap #1 "incorrectly drawing a crisis while in the brig".
Add that to #2 which I still see experienced players forget from time to time, "while a player is in the Brig, that player plays more than one skill check into a skill check".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Milwaukee Bucks fanMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Han Solo fan - Never tell me the odds!Microbadge: Nailed it!Microbadge: War of the Ring fan
Great report! (but maybe I am biased since I was there)

I happened to play Apollo in that game and benefitted from all of the false accusations. Looking back on it, it was the perfect first game because all of the suspicion and accusations got me hooked.

Speaking of expansions, any recommendations on which one to play first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cjv5 wrote:

Speaking of expansions, any recommendations on which one to play first?
There are 3 main trains of thought there...
1a) don't bother, the base game is grat and all u need
1b) base game's fine. Just use some of the Pegasus "tweaks" or BGG user proposed house rules to better balance the game
2) Just go straight to Exodus. Pegusus' only redeeming feature is it includes basestars
3) play a few games with just Pegasus first. (my recommendation being a purist and fan). Try out some of the new material, then add in Cylon Leaders and New Caprica phase
4) play with both right away. Not a huge disturbance if u jumped to this really.

For more info, feel free to check out other threads on the subject

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
Microbadge: SkepticMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ProfessorMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantlyMicrobadge: I'm a GM!
My thought: Enjoy the basegame for a while. Personally, I think the pure basegame is a much better experience than the expansions added in. However, when you get more and more experienced with the game, you might wish to shake things up a little, skew the difficulty, take out true-and-tested tactics, etc. That is the time when you should look at the expansions.

Remember, the expansions make BSG a truly different game. Don't waste the enjoyability of the base game for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopy Hobbit
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: D&D fan (4th edition)Microbadge: Critical Role fanMicrobadge: 2019 T.O.S.S.E.R. Participant - Olive, out back againMicrobadge: I play a Warforged!Microbadge: I play a Fighter!
Great report, much fun We had a similar situation, when one human player got into the Brig as a result of crisis, another as sympathizer and then our Cylon president brigged Tigh. The point was we knew the president was a Cylon because he made some mistake which actually fully revealed him, but alas, it was his turn next, so we just couldn't do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls