Subject: What would you have done? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hedrich
United States
Lehigh Acres
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: Devastation of Indines fan - Karin BrandtfordMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Another Thursday, another weekly gaming night, and again, I've been looking forward to playing CC:E with my buddy.

We've played Fat Lipki twice already, but my friend wants to try it again, as he was beaten last time, and hasn't yet gotten to play as the Russians.

As I was setting up the game, I drew the objective chits that would be used for this scenario. First, I gazed in dismay at the open chit drawn, as it clearly gave the Russians a sizable advantage (double exit points.) My secret objective came up as objective 4 for 2 VP (the lone house along the road near the Russians' leftmost starting area.) I knew that it would be difficult to capture and hold this position, as in this scenario, my troops were outnumbered *and* outgunned. I would discover later that my opponent had drawn objective 2 as his secret objective (the other objective near the rightmost Russian starting area, the one on the road that goes between the woods.)

My strategy was to move my only weapon asset (a light machine gun) up to the farmhouse in the middle of the map as quickly as possible with my forces on the left, as it would provide decent cover whilst letting me take multiple shots at the russians while they tried to reach my side of the map for tons of VP. My forces on the right moved into the woods in an attempt to reach objective 4 before the Russians. I relinquished the initiative card to my opponent, so that I could have the first turn to get my units into position, as I had two move cards out of the gate.

The leftmost group reached the haven in the center, and I used many fire cards to attempt to slow their advance, as they circled the farmhouse at a distance, staying within cover of the woods. Their going was slow, but my machine gun eventually jammed, and was beyond repair.

My rightmost forces fared even worse. The Russians reached objective 4 before I could get my troops there, and though I was lucky enough to have some ambush cards in my hand, I could not clear that house. I advanced into melee at objective 4 a couple of turns into the game, after I had broken both of the units inside, and somehow, I was overpowered. I tried again later in a desperate last ditch effort, as my time was almost up, with another ambush card, but to no avail. My right force was decimated, leaving the Russians a nearly unimpeded path to victory via exit VP on my right side.

In the end, my friend won with a 15 VP lead. The game was still very fun though, and I look forward to my next game.

Now, to the purpose of this post. I am relatively new to CC, with 3 F2F games, and maybe 5 solo games under my belt. What I want to know is, what could I have done differently, to improve my chances? How would you have held off the tide? The Russians outnumber the Germans twofold, which makes double exiting VP an almost inexorable strategy for them, and those two medium machine guns are hell to deal with. With the objective areas on the Russian side of the map, and a force half the size of your enemy's, with much less firepower to boot, what would your strategy have been?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Off the top of my head - recall that a surrender victory is a victory regardless of VPs - so to overcome the threat of Russian exit VPs, I might aim towards surrender.

To limit the Russian's mobility, I'd be looking to eliminate their leaders. Without the leaders, very hard to move many troops. (Actually this is probably a general tactic in any case.)

Germans are boxed movement - so smoke grenades to provide cover from the MMG's is a possibility. (But there are only 7 in the deck and all on Fire cards at that.)

With the central farmhouse (Obj 5) worthless, I'd look to set-up a fire group elsewhere. Especially as the farmhouse is isolated and would have a small firegroup at best in it. Using the woods might allow two squads to fire side-by-side - either as two shots, or as a fire group.

If I could, I'd deploy to get teams to stack with my squads to help improve the fire groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
OK - those are all more tactics. Looking at the bigger picture, the Russians set-up 5-3 with their squads by set-up. So the forces won't be outnumbered 2-1 if the Germans concentrate on one side or the other. I might have let the weaker side move and attempt to exit (yes, that is risking their control of Objective 4 for points), but concentrate on weakening the left side first then exiting for points and re-entering to take Objective 4 later in the game if at all. Especially as Objective 4 is worth 1/2 the value of exiting a squad. Why sit a squad on Obj. 4 for 2 points when it could exit for 4 points? And any Russian squad sitting on objectives is denying points to the Russian player (working to your advantage.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Adam Curtis fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: English Breakfast Tea drinkerMicrobadge: COIN fan
As Kimi Raikkonen once said; "Maximum Attack".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
I played Fat Lipki yesterday as well (for the first time) and the open objective was objective 5 = 10VP, then there was another one drawn by event which made it worth another 5, and then I (another event!) drew a secret one making objective, you got it, 5!, worth another 4VP.

I took it and held it for dear life until time ran out. It's actually a fun little scenario that I would happily play again, but I'm on a Quixotic quest to play ALL the scenarios at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Solitaire Games on Your Table - Together, we game alone...Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game Alone
Two corrections. My secret objective was not the one near me. It was the one near the German Starting area. Objective 2 I think? It's the one in the woods at the fork in the road. You completely by-passes it and I acted like I tried my best at a poker face when I ran over it while trying to exit the map.

Second... I won by 14 not 15. =P Not that it matters. But it was fun! Next time (if we have time after an M44 Overlord scenario) we'll have to do Scenario 2! I look forward to it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Battle for Normandy fanMicrobadge: I Play Monster WarGamesMicrobadge: Normandy '44 fanMicrobadge: Social WorkerMicrobadge: Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise fan
How about setting up a German squad on your right in position to opp fire on the Russian as he tries to exit, maybe even with the lmg. Then on your right with the rest of the German squads to kill Russian squads, take the obj 2 and exit if you can. Maximize possiblility on one side, while trying to simply cover the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hedrich
United States
Lehigh Acres
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: Devastation of Indines fan - Karin BrandtfordMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
I specifically AVOIDED exiting any of my own troops, as it would leave that side of the map completely open for my opponent to exit his. Remember, the Russians have twice as many troops as the Germans do. It just didn't seem like a viable straegy, espescially considering that I'm not going to get reinforced until the next time trigger, and there is really no way to know when that will happen.

Chris, I realized that I remembered the wrong objective as your secret objective after I made my original post - regardless, it is rather moot, as I didn't know what the objective was until the end of the game, so it wouldn't have altered my game at all.

Looking forward to next week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
Rylore wrote:
I specifically AVOIDED exiting any of my own troops, as it would leave that side of the map completely open for my opponent to exit his.
Unless you know a time trigger is coming soon because a deck's about to run out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
contrarian
Microbadge: Father Ted fan

Exiting lots of your troops is risky unless it's close to an automatic time trigger (deck running out). Apart from the fact it allows your opponent to exit lots of their troops, there is also a increased chance your remaining troops get eliminated and you automatically lose the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Sounds like a good way to try to trap the Russian player also then....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls