Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Somerton
Australia
Invergowrie (Armidale)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
Microbadge: I love trick-taking gamesMicrobadge: The Crew: The Quest For Planet 9 fanMicrobadge: Board games keep me youngMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: I design board games... poorly.
Most of us have already suffered a minor heart attack thanks to the Geekdo (Google) search.

I created myself a jester Avatar just for today (I know, it's not the best).

What things did you do for April Fools Day or what interesting pranks or stories did you hear about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Geocaching fanMicrobadge: Viikate fanMicrobadge: Come to Sweden, have a semla.Microbadge: Sauna fanMicrobadge: Follow me on Instagram
If you're open to non-boardgaming jokes, this WestJet (a Canadian airline) initiative is a fun one -- don't miss the video: http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/media-investors/helium.shtml...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Sisters of Mercy fanMicrobadge: Einstürzende Neubauten fanMicrobadge: Dead Kennedys fanMicrobadge: Black Flag fanMicrobadge: Siouxsie and the Banshees fan
I had a professor who told the class the final was moved up to accommodate his vacation so we should get our pencils out. I think about half the students passed out until he shouted April Fools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
Microbadge: Platinum Image UploaderMicrobadge: I like sharing photos with Instagram.Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Lautapeliopas
I posted a news tidbit on my Finnish board game review site, claiming to start a board game publishing business. Our first game? 18xx game based on 1829 Mainline ("the best-loved game in the whole 18xx series") and set in Finland. Key features include Pendolino trains that only run if you roll 5 or 6 on a d6...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
Invergowrie (Armidale)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
Microbadge: I love trick-taking gamesMicrobadge: The Crew: The Quest For Planet 9 fanMicrobadge: Board games keep me youngMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: I design board games... poorly.
http://inside-digital.blog.lonelyplanet.com/2011/04/01/must-...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7541...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
Microbadge: Choir geekMicrobadge: Remembrance day - lest we forget...Microbadge: Antiquity fanMicrobadge: GameChat League - Phoenix Division: "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..."Microbadge: I aspire to Curmudgeon Level Eric
Really nice Geekdo page. +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Kubrick fanMicrobadge: Marcel Duchamp fanMicrobadge: Rules TranslatorMicrobadge: Marcel Duchamp fanMicrobadge: Buster Keaton fan
Best thing of today is, when you type catan, agricola or other things and click "search"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Miami Dolphins fanMicrobadge: RotarianMicrobadge: Wargamer - WW2
OK, Here's my favorite April Fools prank (I was among the "victims")
A co worker brought in a cake for April 1 for all to enjoy. As lunchtime approached, we all gathered around waiting for a slice of sweet sugary deliciousness (her daughter worked for a really good local bakery). I (the boss) stepped up to make the first cut. Upon slicing through the first layer of perfect frosting, I heard a distinctive "clink" and felt the knife come to an abrupt halt. Smiling, I moved the knife off to the left a bit...Clink! I tried the right... still no go! I then scraped the icing a little bit and saw what looked like porcelain. Scraping a bit more we discovered that she had iced not a cake, but a stack of plates.

We did enjoy the icing though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge:  I'm Board! Games & Family Fun FanMicrobadge: Support your FLGS!Microbadge: I play for fun, not to win!Microbadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
The first thing I did was search for "Dominion"

SCORE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Hanafuda deck fanMicrobadge: I was a microbadge once. I hated it.Microbadge: I Love BGG!Microbadge: I can solve Rubik's cubeMicrobadge: Portafilter user
Search on "twilight struggle" zombiegulp

"puerto rico" had me laughing, "power grid" was pretty cool.

"brass" is awesome.

"catan" is silly.

"goa" is very nice.

"small world" and "ticket to ride" - expected.

"arkham horror" - thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I beat my original list of 10 games for 2019 VGG challengeMicrobadge: Steam userMicrobadge: Good Old Games fanMicrobadge: PlayStation 4 fanMicrobadge: Nintendo Switch fan
cooler king wrote:
OK, Here's my favorite April Fools prank (I was among the "victims")
A co worker brought in a cake for April 1 for all to enjoy. As lunchtime approached, we all gathered around waiting for a slice of sweet sugary deliciousness (her daughter worked for a really good local bakery). I (the boss) stepped up to make the first cut. Upon slicing through the first layer of perfect frosting, I heard a distinctive "clink" and felt the knife come to an abrupt halt. Smiling, I moved the knife off to the left a bit...Clink! I tried the right... still no go! I then scraped the icing a little bit and saw what looked like porcelain. Scraping a bit more we discovered that she had iced not a cake, but a stack of plates.

We did enjoy the icing though.
That's nothing. Try making cookies loaded with salt and then a batch of Kool-Aid with vinegar. Nothing like biting into a salty cookie and reaching for that delicious beverage and spitting it out all over. Nothing except when someone does it twice (they got a cup of the regular Kool-aid but grabbed the tainted one by accident)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
Microbadge: I play with pink!Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Geist - Plush CthulhuMicrobadge: Deep Games fanMicrobadge: 18xx fan
cooler king wrote:
OK, Here's my favorite April Fools prank [...]we discovered that she had iced not a cake, but a stack of plates.
I've seen something similar done when someone iced a foam rubber block.

The funniest part was when the victim was having trouble cutting the "cake", so her boss stepped up and said "let me do it", and attacked the cake with more vigor and less success :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - BrobnarMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - ShadowsMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - UntamedMicrobadge: GQs:  Back alley denizen of the month?
I Simply slipped a note into my coworkers purse. It said "MWA HA HA HA! APRIL FOOLS"

I did nothing else.

She will worry about it all weekend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls