Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Social GamerMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Avalon Hill Cup voterMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: ASL fan

Thanks to everyone who made the March list such a success, particularly GeneSteeler and Billyboy for suggesting it.

So what rulebooks are furrowing your brow right now ? For me, it's the dreaded Cave rules for Advanced Squad Leader, in preparation for a F2F game tomorrow. I'm also looking at some B-17: Queen of the Skies variant rules, recently obtained. A busy weekend ahead !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Blackadder fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Oakland Athletics fanMicrobadge: Grant Morrison fanMicrobadge: Great War Commander fan
I always have the ASL rulebook nearby. I have been going into the armor rules lately and it's not as complicated as I thought. I found an ASL player in Hilo so hopefully we can meet up soon.

I am also getting familiar again with GBoh so I've got SPQR and Caesar: Conquest of Gaul ready for action. I've also got to re-read the Musket & Pike rule set. I haven't played those in awhile and I am pretty rusty.

I am also reading the rules for 1863. i want to try and write a review so I really want to nail this one down. I also haven't gotten to play a Gettysburg game since the 80's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
Microbadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Variant DesignerMicrobadge: Razor Sharp - BGG Women's Forum participantMicrobadge: DIY Expansion DesignerMicrobadge: Appreciate the little things in life
I've been taking my time re-reading the Firepower rules
Board Game: Firepower

and trying to decide if I want to try playing with the specific solitaire rules and scenarios included, or just play both sides, like I usually do when I play this game solo. With the chit-draw activation, it works pretty well solo, either way.

I have a habit of reading numerous books, game rules, and various other things a bit here and there, usually not reading something straight through but instead going back to it several times with other readings in-between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: Badge owner asserts that they have participated in the Funny Military Picture thread. Like, more than once evenMicrobadge: "When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object" - Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of BeingMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 Eagle!
Ride of the Valkyries commences!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: I play with Yellow!Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Solitaire WargamerMicrobadge: COIN fan
Working on quite a few...which kind of shocks me. I'm going to be getting both Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division, and Combat Commander: Pacific from the GMT Facebook sale...so definitely looking forward to that.

I'm also currently reading the rules to Patton's 3rd Army: The Lorraine Campaign and hammering away on it in an attempt to really understand it so that I can write a meaningful review for the Geek.

Wish me luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Compass Games fanMicrobadge: Napoleonic WargamerMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: Wargamer
GMT's Case Yellow rulebook, to be ready for when it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
Microbadge: Birds of Prey: Air Combat in the Jet Age fanMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Fastaval attendeeMicrobadge: Bastard Café - Board Games & Coffee - CopenhagenMicrobadge: Seahawks fan: Eye on Another Ring
Elusive Victory: The Air War over the Suez Canal, 1967-1973 - bought it; So I'm getting set up for some force on force air warfare

Still on my desk, not doing much: Force Eagle's War and Tactical Combat Series; some day I really want go get that conversion to 4.0 ready
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Video Game Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: The Third World War fanMicrobadge: Victory Games fanMicrobadge: GMT fan
I aim to read the complete Encyclopedia Britannica before the month's end, as this is required reading in preparation to play full ASL.

External image

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Happy April 1st everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
Microbadge: Reds! The Russian Civil War 1918-1921 fanMicrobadge: Haruki Murakami fanMicrobadge: FirefighterMicrobadge: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn fanMicrobadge: Quantity has a quality of its own
Several manuals made it to my table so far:

I'm still plowing my way thru Over There

Catching up on SPQR (Deluxe Edition) to get my first game started (after the weekend I will set on scenario up)

And last night I started with the rules for Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975, since I'm able to see the game in real life this weekend (and it's up for trade).

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
Microbadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Variant DesignerMicrobadge: Razor Sharp - BGG Women's Forum participantMicrobadge: DIY Expansion DesignerMicrobadge: Appreciate the little things in life
Tegarend wrote:
GMT's Case Yellow rulebook, to be ready for when it arrives.
Hmm, that's a good idea. I have Worthington's Guns of August and Boots on the Ground on pre-order. Supposedly, they are shipping them this week (I hope!) so I just downloaded the rules from their website.

...although that means that the rulebooks are on my monitor, not my table, which doesn't matter, because I usually read my rulebooks in bed, anyway--so no table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Microbadge: I have a Game RoomMicrobadge: Solo wargamerMicrobadge: Gaming alone since '85Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: Yellow Labrador Retriever lover
I'm still plowing my way thru Empire of the Sun, but don't seem to get the hang of it. Maybe Case Yellow is a better candidate especially since I reckon it to arrive soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Motorcycle enthusiastMicrobadge: I play games while I drinkMicrobadge: Triumph & Tragedy - "No peace in our time"Microbadge: I love Denmark!Microbadge: Here I Stand fan
Board Game: Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division

Board Game: Richard III: The Wars of the Roses

Board Game: Bitter Woods (fourth edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Amateur AstronomerMicrobadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: I ride my bike everywhere!
Starting in on a borrowed copy of the Pacific Rules for Advanced Squad Leader. It seems strightforward enough, but I have no idea how the actual play and tactics of the game will change. I expect I'll learn that the hard way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Omen: A Reign of War fanMicrobadge: The Hobbit fanMicrobadge: Sakura Hunt fanMicrobadge: Information Technologist
Garfink wrote:
I aim to read the complete Encyclopedia Britannica before the month's end, as this is required reading in preparation to play full ASL.

External image

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Happy April 1st everyone.

Oddly enough, and this is a true story, when I was 13 years old my parents bought the World Book encyclopedia set and the Childcraft partner set.

My parents knew that bookish little Billy would love those Encyclopedias - my less intellectual siblings would get more out of Childcraft.

That summer, I swear that I read the whole set over the summer break. It was like having the library at home!

When the intertubes was fresh with that webby thing (remember that?), the feeling I experienced as did many of you of wasting unknown hours with endless contiguous surfing was what I did with those books.

That would be my last lazy summer with just books - my dad figured out I was old enough to work, and I was his drink truck (he was a 7-up man) lackey - working hard (as did he) to get mixers into bars, soda into stores, and keeping club soda on the bases for those officers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
Microbadge: Silver Ribbon (Parkinson's Awareness)Microbadge: Amateurs to Arms! fanMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! fanMicrobadge: Vassal player
Getting into Julian: Triumph Before the Storm as the next game I am going to solo. Want to see if I can keep the barbarian hordes at bay.

Reviewing A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943 in preparation for my very first Vassal game, which leads me to...

the Vassal user's manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Video Game Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: The Third World War fanMicrobadge: Victory Games fanMicrobadge: GMT fan
Wilhammer wrote:

Oddly enough, and this is a true story, when I was 13 years old my parents bought the World Book encyclopedia set and the Childcraft partner set.

My parents knew that bookish little Billy would love those Encyclopedias - my less intellectual siblings would get more out of Childcraft.

That summer, I swear that I read the whole set over the summer break. It was like having the library at home!

When the intertubes was fresh with that webby thing (remember that?), the feeling I experienced as did many of you of wasting unknown hours with endless contiguous surfing was what I did with those books.

That would be my last lazy summer with just books - my dad figured out I was old enough to work, and I was his drink truck (he was a 7-up man) lackey - working hard (as did he) to get mixers into bars, soda into stores, and keeping club soda on the bases for those officers.
My copy is still in Australia at Mum's home, I am going to get her to bring it back with her when she decides to emigrates back to Hong Kong so I can finish reading it... I got to "R" when I was I a kid when I stopped, I still remember I stopped at "Red"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancient Battles Deluxe and the 5 expansions.

Advanced Squad Leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
Microbadge: Veteran of a Foreign WarMicrobadge: ArmorMicrobadge: Case Blue - The answer to all of life's wargaming questionsMicrobadge: Toilet Brush ownerMicrobadge: Three Stooges fan
I always carry a bunch....right now it looks like

Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975
Flying Colors
SPQR (Deluxe Edition)

Let the good times roll.

SPQR has a load of stuff to read.....my favorite purchase in the last few months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Social GamerMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Avalon Hill Cup voterMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: ASL fan
Jude wrote:

...although that means that the rulebooks are on my monitor, not my table, which doesn't matter, because I usually read my rulebooks in bed, anyway--so no table.

The title is more of a guideline, really - it just sounded better than "Rulebooks in your face : April 2011".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Curling fanMicrobadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Trebuchet fan
I have a few on the go:

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?
The Burning Blue
Paths of Glory

The former is a recent pick up whereas the latter two were interrupted last month (sorry to one and all who are awaiting to play me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
Microbadge: BuddhistMicrobadge: Plays Games with ChildrenMicrobadge: Pax Pamir fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Grateful Dead fan
Now playing Leipzig, so rules to read next are La Grande Armée and 1812.

Also have rules for Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division as it should be arriving soon....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pow
United States
Westminster
Maryland
flag msg tools
How about now?
badge
Looking for my next game
Microbadge: Flying Pig Games fanMicrobadge: Legion Wargames fanMicrobadge: Fan of taking main actions in Ashes: Rise of the PhoenixbornMicrobadge: Hordes fanMicrobadge: Wargamer
Advanced Squad Leader is always on the table to read, but this month it's joined by Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War and Fields of Fire. If I can get through the latter, that's really going to increase the amount of gaming I can get done .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper GeeklisterMicrobadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Band of Brothers fan
I just got Four Roads to Moscow, and am flipping through each game's rules to decide which one I'll set up first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: Home BrewerMicrobadge: American Civil War buffMicrobadge: Beagle lover
Right now I have The Lost Cause: The American Civil War, 1861-1865 and The Lost Cause: Expansion Kit handy, as I am planning to play them shortly. I've also recently re-read the rules for Jena 20 (I have the C3i edition) because I'd like to play that again soon. As the month continues, I'm sure that I'll have more rulebooks open for perusal, as this is my go-to reading before bedtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Panek
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Conan CCG Contest participantMicrobadge: Miniatures GamerMicrobadge: Renaissance Wargamer
"Die Fighting" miniature rules by Bob Jones- interesting set where each side gets a 'pool' of dice for all actions- move, fire, etc. As dice are rolled they are discarded, which means unnecessary actions will just wear your army down more quickly, until one side runs out of dice and surrenders. I'll run my first game of it on the 7th.

'Deathride Mars-La-Tour' and 'Flying Colours' are also out, although really I'm just killing time until the 'Space Empires' rulebook is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |