Subject: Facts and rumors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
Microbadge: Vassal playerMicrobadge: My responses may be delayed.Microbadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: I train my kid to become a wargamerMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
This is a thread where we can gather all the facts and rumors about the new expansion. Feel free to add any additional information below, and I will try to keep the first post updated with all the information.

UPDATE: 2011.05.19 Complete manual has been posted at FFG. It will not make sense to recite everything from the rules here, so this thread will contain semi-random highlights from the rules, and continue to have infomation from the previews. Also the last details on the races are released.
UPDATE: 2011.05.02 Extra details thanks to Hesca419
UPDATE: 2011.04.29 Added information from the latest preview at the FGG website
UPDATE: 2011.04.07 Added info and pictures of Political II and the related new cards, Promisary Notes and Representatives.
UPDATE: 2011.04.04 I have added details posted below.

Tip: Suscribe to this thread to stay updated!

Release date: "Late spring". On FFG's June release list.
RRP: $59.95
Complete rules at FFG website: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Twilight%20Imp...

Races
Four new races are included. Three of them are "normal" races and the last one is used for a special game mode. Each race comes with a set of Command Counters, Flags etc.

The Arborec
From FFG: "The Arborec, a species of intelligent plantlike entities that collectively make up their own sentient ecosystem, use the deceased carcasses of other races as hosts to communicate with the Galactic Council. But is this distasteful practice purely practical, or do they have another, more sinister agenda?"
Board Game: Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shards of the Throne

Racial tech:

Home system:

Leaders:
Admiral, General, Diplomat

The Nekro Virus
From FFG: "Somewhat less ambiguous are the intentions of the coolly lethal Nekro Virus, the product of an experiment by an extremist faction within the technology-obsessed L1z1x Mindnet. Seeking to perfect the L1z1x form, the faction’s leader pursued the perfect blend of biology and machine... then he lost control. Now, the entity known as the Nekro Virus has one goal: the utter elimination of all organic matter."

Racial tech:

Home system:

Leaders:
Admiral, General, Agent

Ghosts of Creuss
From FFG: "the so-called Ghosts of Creuss only recently emerged from the depths of the Shaleri anomaly, an area of space blamed for so many unexplained events (including disappearances) that it’s spoken of in hushed tones by many a superstitious spacefarer. The Creuss themselves are in fact ethereal beings of energy and light, who wear massive metal frames carved with strange runes. Though seemingly benign, their off-putting behavior and mysterious origins prompt suspicion from nearly every other race."

Racial tech:

Home system:

Leaders:
Admiral, Diplomat, Scientist

The Lazax
This race is used in a special game mode, where one player controls the Lazax and the other players are secretly assigned Scenario Objective Cards which define their roles and aims.

Starting Techs:
Starting Units:
Special Abilities:
Home system: Mecatol Rex!!!

Leaders:
Non pubslished so far

Strategy Cards
Five new strategy cards are included. For details on the last ones, see the rules pdf.

Trade III

Primary ability:
1) Trade negotiations among all players as usual and immediate payment.
2) Upkeep for mercenaries must be paid, or they are discarded
3) The active player may hire a Mercenary. Apparantly they are arranged in a deck where the active player can choose from the top two.

Secondary ability:
Pay command counter from Strategy Allocation sa usual: Break trade agreement among two other players and earn one trade good.

Political II
From FFG: "the Political Intrigue options gives players a hand of Representative cards, which symbolize the various political agents you will send to the Galactic Council on your behalf. When resolving a Political card, each player chooses which of their Representatives will attend the Galactic Council, and can choose from three types: Spies, Councilors, and Bodyguards. Should you send your most capable orator, cementing your influence for the upcoming vote? Or is that exactly what your villainous foes expect?"

Using this strategy card will enable the use of Representatives and Promisory. See entries below for details.

Assembly II
I believe this is similar to the Political II card, except it uses the Assembly mechanics from SE.

Civilization (3)

Industry (8)

Representatives
Three preview representative cards have been revealed:

Representatives are used with the Political II / Assembly II strategy cards. They are played to influence the voting process.

Promisary Notes
Three preview cards have been revealed:

They describe binding promises that players can make to one another. When you make a deal using this mechanic, you hand the corresponding Promisary Note over to the other part, and he can then later play the card for the stated effect which must then be fulfilled.

Units

There will be new units in all 8 colours (including the grey and orange from the SE expansion)

Mechanized Units
Ground unit
Can absorb a hit before destroyed like Dreadnaughts. (Will Direct Hits actions cards be fixed/replaced in order to affect Mechs?)

Flagships

From FGG: "Flagships, powerful starships with a variety of benefits, represent the pinnacle of a race’s technological abilities. But use yours wisely: not only can each player have only one in use at a time, but every Flagship is different, and has abilities that further differentiate the unique play styles of each of the great races. All Flagships also have varying values for Battle, Movement, and Capacity. The Federation of Sol’s Genesis I, for example, excels at transporting Ground Forces, but its limited movement and below-average Battle rating can leave those forces vulnerable."
Current speculation tends towards one plastic ship per race. The ships stats are listed on a card, and there may be more than one card per race.
Can bombard planets.

Mercenaries
From FFG: "the optional Trade III Strategy Card provides the ability to hire mercenaries - inexpensive and versatile units with a range of specialized abilities. Use them to supplement your forces in battle whether on the ground or among the stars... just be sure that you can pay them when the time comes."

Each Mercenary has a card with their powers. Cards arranged in a (random?) deck. Primary ability of Trade III enables the activation/hiring of one of the top two Mercenaries in the deck.

There is a cardboard token for each Marcenary which is used to indicate it's locaiton on the map. The counter can be flipped to show wether the units is stationed in space or on a planet.

From FFG: "but a Mercenary cannot defend your claim to a planet alone - if ever it is the only unit on a planet, that planet reverts to normal"
Apparently mercenaries cannot hold a planet by themselves but normally you don't loose control of a planet just because you don't have any ground forces there. I suppose this means that they will commit mutiny if left alone on a planet?
In battle Mercenaries fight alongside normal units, but hits must be assigned to Mercenaries last. Even then, they have an evasion ability, which will give any hits inflicted on the a certain miss chance.

Extra unit tokens
The expansion includes additional tokens for fighters and ground forces.

Technologies
More racial techs. Still no additional info?

Systems
From the released pictures roughly 12 new systems hexes seem to be included.

Distant suns tokens
Roughly 12 tokens seem to be included. Still no info on new mechanics.

Action Cards
34 new action cards are included

From FFG: "...each of these versatile Action cards serves a dual purpose; if you’re not playing with the option that utilizes them, you can always spend these cards as Trade Goods."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Archery fanMicrobadge: I play with green!
Brilliant, thanks.

Is there any info on when this beauty of an expansion will be released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Basketball fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: C. S. Lewis fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chick-Fil-A fan
Some folks over on ti3wiki.org have been dissecting everything they can find. http://ti3wiki.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1301228268
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Vassal playerMicrobadge: My responses may be delayed.Microbadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: I train my kid to become a wargamerMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
rashktah wrote:
Brilliant, thanks.

"Late Spring" is the only thing I have heard so far. Speculators tend to think that FFG have changed their release strategy to annouce new items, as they are hitting the printer. As such no delay is expected, but "late spring" is a rather flexible term..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
bnorton916 wrote:
Some folks over on ti3wiki.org have been dissecting everything they can find. http://ti3wiki.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1301228268
Thanks for the link. I'm not really following ti3wiki.org, and I suspect many other BGG'ers aren't either, so I hope it will still be useful to have the info here as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rashktah wrote:
Brilliant, thanks.

It's on FFG's June release list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Go fanMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: The Expanse fan
RRP is $59.95.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ger Lam
Austria
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a Cylon
summarized from the other thread, Ti3 Wiki and my own decryption attempts:

The Arborec:

* You may not build ground forces with your space docks.

* Your ground forces have a build capacity of 1. You may not build units with your Ground Forces that were placed during the same activation.

* At the start of the Status Phase, place 1 Ground Force at one planet you control.

Techs:

Antimass Deflectors
Stasis Capsules(?)

Units:
5(6?) Ground Forces
1 Cruiser
1 Carrier
2(?) Fighters
1 PDS
1 Space Dock

The Nekro Virus:

* You may not vote on political or agenda cards.
* wordy second ability(clearly referencing "Space Battle" in the first line, probably followed by "or Ground Invasion")
* very likely a third one(considering the displaced lower text line)

Techs: 3, first possibly Gen Synthesis, second possibly Hylar-

Units:
2(3?) Ground Forces
1 Mechanized Unit(Tank)
1 Carrier
2(?) Fighters
1 Space Dock

(With only a Carrier with 2 Fighters as "Space Ships", it stands to reason their second(wordy) ability will have to somehow make up for it, otherwise they have an immensely vulnerable starting position-)

The Ghosts of Creuss

* ? destination system as if they were ?

Tech: 2 Starting Techs

4(?) Ground Forces
3(?) Destroyers
1 Carrier
2(1?) Fighters
1 Space Dock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: Splut! fanMicrobadge: Ewoks!
I MUST have this expansion and now I also want to find and buy the first expansion. Oh boy, there goes the money ...

While waiting for the release and the rush to the store, one could play Twilight Imperium Express, a.k.a. Planet Masters... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
I updated the first post with the extra information from the preview of Political II. New sections in green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e R
Canada
flag msg tools
Awesome, just pre-ordered for less than that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Home BrewerMicrobadge: English Bulldog loverMicrobadge: I play games while I drinkMicrobadge: Beer fan
great thread, bump
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
According to this, the release date has been changed to "Early May".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Updated the first post with information from the latest preview at the FFG website. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2201

Updated sections in green text as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spike Slattery
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Romance of the Three Kingdoms fan - ShuMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: System Shock 2 fanMicrobadge: Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients fanMicrobadge: Retrogamer
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic953974.png

From this image from the 1st Preview, Leaders!

Nekro Virus: Admiral, General, Agent
Arborec: Admiral, General, Diplomat
Ghosts of Creuss: Admiral, Diplomat, Scientist
Laxax: None

Seemed important and somehow slipped by. Also, as I mentioned in another thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/635774/the-new-races) it seems the Ghosts' first tech may be Antimass Deflectors. Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Hesca419 wrote:
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic953974.png

From this image from the 1st Preview, Leaders!

Nekro Virus: Admiral, General, Agent
Arborec: Admiral, General, Diplomat
Ghosts of Creuss: Admiral, Diplomat, Scientist
Laxax: None

Seemed important and somehow slipped by. Also, as I mentioned in another thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/635774/the-new-races) it seems the Ghosts' first tech may be Antimass Deflectors. Hope it helps.
Thanks. I added the information to the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Palm
Sweden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Trust me? Of *course* you can trust *me*!Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: I whine my way to victory!Microbadge: Sailing fanMicrobadge: Math Geek - Keepin' it Real
I was at a gaming store yesterday and they said that they recently recieved the ffg-plan from now to august and that it wasn't there. That of course doesn't mean that it will arrive sooner than that. They said that it had been changed to arrive at "summer".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Archery fanMicrobadge: I play with green!
I was told by 'my' gaming store clerk that the game will ship to Germany in June/July.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bestland
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
From gallery of MatThePhat

The new rules are out, and they left this little preview of the ghosts. It looks like gibberish to me, but you guys seem to have the super powers to make sense of this . Any idea what its saying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: Star Control 2 fanMicrobadge: Colorado
It's times like this when I wish CSI-style super-ultra-mega picture enhancing really worked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Since the rules have been released it will not make sense to continue gathering all known information in this thread. I will try to focus on adding information that is not covered in the rule book, ie. race statistics etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls