Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: The future of Combat Commander - Korea, Vietnam? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
Combat Commander is a fantastic game with many fantastic modules and expansions. But it covers the conflict which has been already covered in a countless amount of games before.

So my proposal is that future games should depict infantry actions of the Korean or the Vietnam War.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre moll Christiansen
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I have travelled the GalaxyMicrobadge: Sci Fi Games fanMicrobadge: AlchemyMicrobadge: Ambient music fanMicrobadge: I love lightning and thunderstorms!
The spanish civil war has been suggested elsewhere, and I'll do it again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Robot
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: It's like, 'how much more black could this be?' and the answer is 'None. None more black.'Microbadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Here I Stand fan

Combat Commander - Italian Campaign

Lets see a fully developed battle of Ortona along with landings in Sicily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Archipelago fanMicrobadge: Greyhound loverMicrobadge: Dark humor fan
Combat Commander: The Age of Muskets.

ACW and Napoleonic Tactical Infantry Combat.

But no horses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Adam Curtis fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: English Breakfast Tea drinkerMicrobadge: COIN fan
Combat Commander: Modern Warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Chad Jensen fan
I would love nothing more than Vietnam to be the next candidate. You talk about an infantry war...

Just imagine how nasty napalm drops could be. Tracer fire, claymores, M-60's....tons of possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

I agree that the Spanish Civil War is a natural fit for CC and there seems to be more interest in the subject these days. I suspect sales would be good.

The Winter War could be a good fit and possibly a low overhead expansion if the existing Soviet counter mix is usable.

And CC would also be a good platform to explore the Korean War, given that so much of the terrain is not tank friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason TIPPLE
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well for me it would have to be World War 1.
Can you imagine it?.

Contents:

7 sheets of full colour counters (including 6 full sheets of trench counters).

6 countryside field maps.

One British Command deck including 59 Move/Advance/"over-the-top" Orders and 1 Fire Order.

One German Deck including 61 Sniper Events.

One paper bi-plane.

One German only Initiative card.

10 Artillery Spotting Round Counters and 10 British radio tokens with Firepower of 1 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Adam Curtis fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: English Breakfast Tea drinkerMicrobadge: COIN fan
shager wrote:
I would love nothing more than Vietnam to be the next candidate. You talk about an infantry war...

Just imagine how nasty napalm drops could be. Tracer fire, claymores, M-60's....tons of possibilities.
Ok I'm persuaded. CC:Vietnam it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Morgan
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: I like multiplayer solitaire!Microbadge: Ancients WargamerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Card & Card Driven Game Junkie
Vietnam has been hinted at. This is what I've been waiting for. I hope it's more like CC:Europe than CCacific though. I like having more random triggers spring up all over the place. Pacific is good, but definitely more controlled. Maybe a nice middle ground would serve well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Pacific fanMicrobadge: Great War Commander fanMicrobadge: I was a child when Apollo 11 landedMicrobadge: George Orwell fan
tipplj wrote:
Well for me it would have to be World War 1.
Can you imagine it?.

Contents:

7 sheets of full colour counters (including 6 full sheets of trench counters).

6 countryside field maps.

One British Command deck including 59 Move/Advance/"over-the-top" Orders and 1 Fire Order.

One German Deck including 61 Sniper Events.

One paper bi-plane.

One German only Initiative card.

10 Artillery Spotting Round Counters and 10 British radio tokens with Firepower of 1 or 2.
Seriously though, some is working on this AFAIK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
Thinking of "the future" makes me imagine a Combat Commander: Europe / StarSoldier: Tactical Warfare in the 25th Century hybrid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Merighi
Argentina
Mar del Plata
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love ArgentinaMicrobadge: Ubuntu userMicrobadge: Famous WWII units - 101st Airborne Division "Screaming Eagles" (US)Microbadge: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective FanMicrobadge: Ares Games "Wings of Glory Duel Packs" Contest participant
For me World War I and then Napoleonic Wars will be fine!!
Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Whistling Death fanMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Panzer fanMicrobadge: Duel of Ages fanMicrobadge: Fleet Series fan
Combat Commander: Kursk laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Merighi
Argentina
Mar del Plata
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love ArgentinaMicrobadge: Ubuntu userMicrobadge: Famous WWII units - 101st Airborne Division "Screaming Eagles" (US)Microbadge: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective FanMicrobadge: Ares Games "Wings of Glory Duel Packs" Contest participant
saxophone wrote:
Conflict of Heroes :KURSK
Ckeck for http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38823/conflict-of-her...
You'll find tons of tanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
Microbadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Mark Twain fanMicrobadge: The Gamers fanMicrobadge: Miniatures Gamer
The best one I've heard so far would be the Spanish Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Philip K. Dick fanMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: BiohazardMicrobadge: Rage Against The Machine fanMicrobadge: Big Lebowski fan
The Spanish Civil War and Korea both sound like great candidates.

Having just started reading The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy by Rick Atkinson, I also like the idea of an Italian campaign Battle Pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb wrote:
Having just started reading The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy by Rick Atkinson, I also like the idea of an Italian campaign Battle Pack.

His earlier book, An Army at Dawn had me feeling the same way about the Tunisian Campaign.

http://www.amazon.com/Army-Dawn-1942-1943-Liberation-Trilogy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cmontgo2 wrote:
I just picked up a copy of Heart of Spain: Robert Capa's Photographs of the Spanish Civil War and am reminded all over again of what a fascinating setting it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Spain-Robert-Photographs-Spanish...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misterhawk wrote:
Adverb wrote:

His earlier book, An Army at Dawn had me feeling the same way about the Tunisian Campaign.

http://www.amazon.com/Army-Dawn-1942-1943-Liberation-Trilogy...

The Normandy book (to complete the trilogy) is hotly anticipated by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon K
Lithuania
flag msg tools
Winter war would be interesting.I think Italian deck not fully shows power of Finish army.Same the Polish campaign , Warsaw uprising with AK unit counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
contrarian
Microbadge: Father Ted fan
I'm guessing Chad is going to concentrate on his FF series and we wont see a new conflict CC style. That said, this is one occasion I'd be very happy to be proved absolutely wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Sherlock Holmes fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan Microbadge: What does this mean for Up Front?Microbadge: Wargamer - WW2Microbadge: Cult of the Old
LEHaskell wrote:
saxophone wrote:
"This time, there's no infantry!"

Damn!
And they just radioed in to tell me that my long-awaited resupply of hand grenades was on its way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Pauwels
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Kult RPG fan - Death is Only the Beginning!Microbadge: FASA fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar fanMicrobadge: WFRP - Tzeentch fanMicrobadge: Murder Mystery fan
Vietnam would be an instabuy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cmontgo2 wrote:
There's a new film coming out that is set against the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2978388505/

No idea if it will be any good, but probably worth looking at and maybe it will stir up interest.

(Cross-posted in other relevant threads)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |