United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
Microbadge: Game TeacherMicrobadge: French Press Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: I play with white!Microbadge: Best Pimped Boardgame of the Month winnerMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my games
For those of you (like me) who keep an eye out here in the "Variants" section for new races & powers to play with in Smallworld, here's something I think you may enjoy (or at least enjoy discussing.) But unlike most ideas posted in the forums, this one is more than just an idea. It's a reality!

SCARECROWS [9/14]
> At the beginning of your turn you must roll the die for each region you occupy. You may not muster extra tokens from those regions in which you roll anything but a blank die. “The Scarecrows can’t get down from their poles” to be used for conquests that turn.
> Fire! Scarecrows also lose an extra token to the tray when conquered by a dice roll.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Clarifications: Standard rules apply both to troop redeployment and to abandoning regions.

You can download the PDF file here, to make your own:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65450/smallworld-fan-r...

And you can view the end result here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/957852/small-world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The right side of my brain has nothing leftMicrobadge: Experience Bij!Microbadge: The left side of my brain has nothing right
Their "powers" all related to special weaknesses without any extra advantage on defense or offense. Is that worth getting 9 tokens for the 50% chance I can't attack with them and defense blows? Here, take one of my coins. I'll go for something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Game TeacherMicrobadge: French Press Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: I play with white!Microbadge: Best Pimped Boardgame of the Month winnerMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my games
quixotequest wrote:
Their "powers" all related to special weaknesses without any extra advantage on defense or offense. Is that worth getting 9 tokens for the 50% chance I can't attack with them and defense blows? Here, take one of my coins. I'll go for something else.
Eric from DOW raised a similar concern which allowed me to weigh out the pros & cons (because in Smallworld there must be both pros and cons to every race.) Here's that conversation: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65370/smallworld-fan-r...

Hope you'll give them a try! They actually play out really well (with occasional frustration thrown in, which is healthy, I think.) If you like Barbarians or Kobolds, in spite of their limitations, that means you must have learned to adapt your playing style to play to their strengths. Scarecrows are no different in this regard. (Hey, 14 tokens is no joke!) They force some unique decisions in the Redeployment phase, and--as with any other race--when matched with the right Special Power they are "dy-no-mite!"

(But if you just hate dice-rolling, admittedly, this is one to steer clear of.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Kenny, Mike & Zach wrote:
A question for the Scarecrows:
Since abandoning regions can only happen at the start of your turn, can Scarecrows abandon regions in which they failed the dice roll for mustering the extra tokens?
This question (and others) were asked by a group of friends the other night, and I thought someone else may be interested in the clarification as well. (Thanks guys!)

Answer: Yes. Since the dice rolling is actually part of the "gathering troops" phase for the Scarecrows turn, you can abandon regions if the rolls don't work out for you. (That's still a handicap to their numerical strength.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryley Tolman
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Studio Ghibli fanMicrobadge: Bertrand RussellMicrobadge: Game Artisans of Canada member
I have printed this and we have currently added it to our stacks, although unfortunately it hasn't come out in two games, as we currently play smallworld with ALL the expansions. Looks great, and looks like it will add a new dynamic to the game. Props to the creator, Danny Mack! Thanks for the hard work, keep it up, we enjoy these immensely.

for a pic of what they look like printed...
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/965253/small-world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thanks for all your gracious compliments.
Let me know when it does finally come up in the options. I'm curious how your group will like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls