United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
Microbadge: Game TeacherMicrobadge: French Press Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: I play with white!Microbadge: Best Pimped Boardgame of the Month winnerMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my games
For those of you (like me) who keep an eye out here in the "Variants" section for new races & powers to play with in Smallworld, here's something I think you may enjoy (or at least enjoy discussing.) But unlike most ideas posted in the forums, this one is more than just an idea. It's a reality!

DEMONS [3/8]
> Demons may conquer all regions for 1 token less. When conquering occupied regions, enemy tokens are NOT discarded to the tray, as normal. Instead, the Demons may "possess" conquered tokens so that they stay beneath the Demons as defensive tiles.
> When conquered, Demon tokens go back to the tray only if they do not have any other tokens in thrall in that region. Otherwise, all possessed tokens are released to their owner’s hand (if active) or to the tray (if in-decline).
> Possessed regions may be held with only 1 Demon token regardless of how many enemy tokens are in thrall there.
> When in decline, Demons lose their hold over other races--all other players’ tokens are released.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CLARIFICATIONS:
> Demons are only allowed to move their own tokens during troop redeployment.
> Decline race tokens in thrall to the Demons are still subject to the "One Decline Race at a Time" rule; so they must be removed from Demon regions when the rest of their race vanishes from the board.

You can download the PDF file here, to make your own:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65368/smallworld-fan-r...

And you can view the end result here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/957850/small-world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Game TeacherMicrobadge: French Press Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: I play with white!Microbadge: Best Pimped Boardgame of the Month winnerMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my games
Kenny, Mike & Zach wrote:
Questions for the Demons:
1) What do Demons do with defensive tiles when they conquer them?
2) Can Sorcerers "sorcerize" a single Demon token atop a pile of other RTs?
3) What happens when the Demons conquer a region with 2 or 3 RTs in it and subsequently that race goes from active to decline?
These questions were asked by a group of friends the other night, and I thought someone else may be interested in the clarifications as well. (Thanks guys!)

1) Well, Demons only possess people. (It's Ghosts that haunt houses, right?) So in order to conquer a region with one enemy RT atop 1 Encampment, etc. it would cost the Demons 3 RTs to move in (normally 4, yes, but remember the Demons get things for 1 less.) Then as always, the defensive structure would be removed from the board to the other player's hand, and the single RT would become "possessed".

2) Nope. Sorcerers can only "sorcerize" regions occupied by single RTs. Therefore, a region with a stack of RTs (even those being used by Demons as "defensive tiles") would certainly be off limits to the Sorcerers' power--but not exempt from a brute force attack, of course.

3) In the case of Demons conquering a stack of active tokens that goes into decline, all that is done to the tokens in thrall is to flip them over. The stack remains (unlike the regions of the board still belonging to the decline race), and the Demons benefit from their defense, until the region is conquered or abandoned, as stated in rule #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryley Tolman
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Studio Ghibli fanMicrobadge: Bertrand RussellMicrobadge: Game Artisans of Canada member
I LOVE this race. I've only had the chance to use them once, and they were paired with the flying ability. I was able to wreak havoc on the board, and make a couple of enemies in the process. I don't believe I used them the most efficient way, but in the end I thought they were a BLAST to play and imo they should be included in the next smallworld expansion. Fantastic job on what is possibly the most dynamic and fun to play race in all of Smallworld!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'll admit, I've been a little puzzled at the reaction here on BGG for this race. My other 2 races are being downloaded at a rate of almost 2-to-1 over these guys. The variant forum has (until now) no posts, and thumbs are in short supply.
But as we've played it for the past few months, the Demons have been far-and-away the player favorite. (But when you make something yourself, you can't go telling people how great it is...it never seems quite right or quite as convincing.) So I'm glad to finally have your feedback--it's encouraging!
Maybe because variant fans already have the other Demons in play (from the Compendium)? or maybe because the rules seem a little more complicated than average? I don't know.

Anyway, you said you didn't play them well--what did you do? Flying-Demons would seem to be a winning combo (if not a high-scoring one.) The problem I usually run into with a Flying race is that it gets in everybody's business, and then isn't strong enough to defend itself from reprisal. Demons have the innate ability to stack up pretty well, so this shouldn't be a problem. I wonder what else was on the board?

The main thing is, yeah, they are a lot of fun. They really up the razz-factor, and it feels so good to just literally OWN the other guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryley Tolman
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Studio Ghibli fanMicrobadge: Bertrand RussellMicrobadge: Game Artisans of Canada member
Well, I pretty much got into everyone's business, and caused a lot of chaos. In the end, I didn't pick the right battles, and so while I caused some disruption, it really wasn't very beneficial to myself.

I do believe that the biggest reason that they aren't downloaded as much is because of the "other" demons that a lot of people already have printed. Maybe a namechange would be in order? Overlords? Geists? While I'm on the topic, is there no way you could make a race of angels (or archangels?). They could be pretty sick.

I'll do my best to promote your work in the meantime, I really believe it is top-notch, and I've played a bit of fan-made content for games. Keep it up, game design is obviously your forte.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Really encouraging comments. Thanks. (I am actually pursuing a career in the game design/editing business, and am just finishing up my first game that will be published. It's so encouraging that you see the merits of my work, because that's what I'll need to keep moving forward--evident merit/talent.)

Yeah, the built-in weakness of this race is that while they can really "own" their opponents, it's also hard to make coins with them, so there comes a point when your opponents go in-decline and they have 2 races making money vs. just your one race. If the Demons don't follow them in-decline at the right time--even if they are at the height of their strength--they will get smoked anyway. Tough decisions. Pretty self-balancing, like the rest of Smallworld.

My buddy Mike said they were his favorite race to play too, I just thought he was being nice. Thanks again.

I'd also thought about a race of Angels. I even have the artwork picked out. But as I was developing ideas, the Demons just materialized more quickly. It's easy to come up with a race that preys upon others, when it reflects the true nature of the race. A bit harder to work up a positive concept that actually benefits the race more than its opponents. (Especially when the Kenku--with their co-existing in peace--and the Elves--with their immortality--were already done.) Angels should be powerful, IMO. Much more so than wizards or trolls, so that's tough to keep balanced. Never fear, I've got more ideas to work on when my obligations with this "other game" are completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryley Tolman
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Have you put a heading for your other game on BGG yet? I'd be very interested to see what it's about, as I believe it quite likely that I would be into a game you made, since I seem to enjoy your smallworld additions. Keep me posted on when it's available for purchase/viewing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Nope, it's not up on BGG yet. It's in "expensive prototype" mode right now, being showed around to investors. And I am only a co-designer, so I don't have the rights to it (or to spill the beans either, yet.) I can say that we are expecting to go into production by the end of May, and when it finally does, I will be putting it up on BGG (so check back in on my profile at some point if you really are interested.)

Also, I can say it is QUITE DIFFERENT from Smallworld! It is essentially a game where you place cards in your hand to a community board which enables other placements for your opposition (as theirs enable yours, in turn.) Very simple mechanics, fast-paced, with a few wrenches thrown in to keep it interesting after many plays.

That's all I'll say for now, again, I appreciate your interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branislav Novotny
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Small World fan
I have finally downloaded your three races and I'm looking forward to try them, but before that, I need a clarification of demon ruling.

1) If I (demon) conquer a region with two humans I possess both of them or only one?
2) If I possess both, what happens when humans are going in decline? Do I lose one of the tokens?
3) I cannot redeploy possessed tokens, but can I use them to attack?

PS. If you think that the name collision holds this race back you can consider daemon/daimon. I think that in english you use latin words quite frequently and those two are romanized greek so they sound more mysteryously, but I'm not sure how to make the plural blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Very specific questions you've got here...You guys keep me on my toes with all of these potential loopholes! Thanks for asking--I hope you enjoy playing these. Hope this irons out the wrinkles for you, Brano:
brano wrote:
1) If I (demon) conquer a region with two humans I possess both of them or only one?
Possess ALL of them. You must conquer as normal (-1), and then you may "babysit" ALL of the captured tokens with just one of your own, during redeployment. So, in your example, let's assume you are Flying-Demons. You would conquer that area (occupied by 2 enemy tokens) with 3 Demons; then you would defend it with only 1 (most likely) at the end of your turn. That would leave a stack of tokens 3-high (1 of yours, 2 of theirs), now you can use your 2 extra conquering Demons elsewhere!

brano wrote:
2) If I possess both, what happens when humans are going in decline? Do I lose one of the tokens?
This was clarified up above...
bandit_boy7 wrote:
3) In the case of Demons conquering a stack of active tokens that goes into decline, all that is done to the tokens in thrall is to flip them over. The stack remains (unlike the regions of the board still belonging to the decline race), and the Demons benefit from their defense, until the region is conquered or abandoned, as stated in rule #3.
brano wrote:
3) I cannot redeploy possessed tokens, but can I use them to attack?
Well, this is a good one. I guess I didn't specifically state this. No, unfortunately you cannot use possessed tokens either during redeployment OR during the "gather your troops" phase at the start of your next turn. As stated in the rules:
rules wrote:
They stay beneath the Demons as defensive tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls