Subject: How essential is a 2nd Core set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Hananto
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: My wife says I have too many board gamesMicrobadge: Addicted to ExpansionsMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Privateer Press fanMicrobadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bed
Hey all, I play WI pretty casually with no competitive players around

I also have both expansions, now how important is getting another copy of Core Set? I heard that another set will significantly open your options on building a decent fun deck... Does that sounds right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeah, about 100% right. Imagine what you can do with 3x (which gives you the max # of multiple cards in your decks). I can't imagine buying this game for only 1 core set but I suppose if you don't play much or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I track all my games playedMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: I write comments on my 'Record a Play'Microbadge: I avoid KickstarterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
Whereas I only own 1x that stuff I do (missing a few BPs that I didn't think were worth it) and have gotten 266 plays out of the stuff. I'm not into deckbuilding, I just want to make 6 mono-faction decks that are balanced against one another (since we play using my decks). Only competitive players need more than 1x Core IMO, casual deckbuilders don't need 3x everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Transformers fan - Optimus PrimeMicrobadge: New England Patriots fanMicrobadge: Parent of Three Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: Marathon RunnerMicrobadge: Portal Games fan
I haven't read the deck-building rules yet, how many 'commons' are you allowed to have in the same deck?

Also I could have sworn I saw in here somewhere a few weeks ago a rule-set for solo play, but I can't find it now. Did I imagine that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cozmic0 wrote:
Hey all, I play WI pretty casually with no competitive players around

I also have both expansions, now how important is getting another copy of Core Set? I heard that another set will significantly open your options on building a decent fun deck... Does that sounds right?
A single set is definitely enough for casual play. You could build stronger, more focused decks if you had three copies of every card, but if you don't attend tournaments or have friends who are into competitive deck building too, it's really not necessary. You'd be far better off spending that money on battle packs (the small expansions) which will give you completely new cards. New, more cards are more fun than your second and third copy of Judgement of Verena and a load of cards you already had three copies each of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Benwood
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Babylon 5 fanMicrobadge: Robert E. Howard fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
I only have 1 boxed set. I have been buying the expansion packs from a board game store but sadly they have now moved away.

Even if your into deck building the second boxed set really is not needed unless you are wanting multiples or alot of different cards from the set. The expansion packs give you different cards to work from and you can pick and choose what cards you want to get.

You are allowed 3 multiples of 1 card in a deck and you can mix different races from the chaos and order factions, but only order with order and chaos with chaos.

Here is a good site that has the cards from the expansion packs. http://deckbox.org/games/whi/cards
If your into deckbuilding it will help you out alot by knowing what cards are in each expansion pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzius Maximus
Canada
flag msg tools
wytefang wrote:
Yeah, about 100% right. Imagine what you can do with 3x (which gives you the max # of multiple cards in your decks). I can't imagine buying this game for only 1 core set but I suppose if you don't play much or something...

This is sadly true, if your into deckbuilding and the metagame at all there's nothing worse than having only 1 copy of a crucial card. But given that you don't have any of the battle packs yet I would definitely make that a priority if youre willing to spend money.

Honestly myself and the people I play with have now resorted to making copies of crucial cards with a good laser printer. We then put the prints in a sleeve over a draft card and it works great. There's something about buying three copies of a game that irks me just on principle alone. So ya, if your circle doesnt mind, print away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouldn't it be great if they printed an expansion to fill all the gaps in the Core set-either one or two of a card to give you full set of three. I wouldn't be to hopeful though, the publishers must love for people to buy multiple core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls