BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Starting a Game Night - Recommendations before I purchase... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Garret
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Catan series fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 fanMicrobadge: 1st & Goal fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
Lately it seems that all we do is play the card game golf (http://www.pagat.com/draw/golf.html) with 4 people. While the game is easy/fun to pick up, after the 100th time playing I need a break. There's normally 3 to 4 of us playing at a time, rarely will we have 5 people and we've never played a game with more than 5 (perhaps we need more friends!). Most of us are between the ages of 25 and 35.

Here is the list of games I'm considering and why I'm considering them:

1. For Sale (looks to be simple, quick, a good starter game for the night)
2. Ticket to Ride (we found this on XBox Live and played it several times already) w/ 1910 Expansion
3. Pandemic (Have never played a co-op game before, looks to be highly recommended)
4. Puerto Rico (The girlfriend and I both like games like Civilization on the PC)

5. Arimaa (this is for when it's just the two of us or if we want to start a game at work during a lunch break)

The people we'd be playing with have only played games like Monopoly and Life. I tried to get them to play Flux one evening and it really didn't go over well to the point that we didn't finish the first game.

Would this be a good starting point for a few months?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
New List after feedback

Yes
For Sale
Ticket to Ride w/ 1910 Expansion
Pandemic

Should Consider
Settlers of Catan +5
Dominion +3 (Thunderstone)
Coloretto +2
Carcassonne +3/-1
7 Wonders +2
Stone Age +2
Tichu +1
Forbidden Island +1

No
Puerto Rico (might be too complex) I'll hold off on this one -2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Computer ProgrammerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Carcassonne is a great gateway game. This is what I use with newer players. Its easy to learn and scales well to the group size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mechanical EngineerMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: I'd rather be playing boardgames!Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fan Microbadge: 2014 Secret Santa participant
I vote Tichu and Forbidden Island. They only play four, though. You've got some good choices in your original post as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Heroscape fanMicrobadge: Water Polo fanMicrobadge: Oingo Boingo fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fan

Those are a very good starting point.

Also add these to your list:

Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Dominion, Stone Age, and Coloretto.

That should keep your covered for awhile and provides a decent variety of play that will let you figure out what kind of game you enjoy the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Whiskey drinkerMicrobadge: University of Notre DameMicrobadge: University of DaytonMicrobadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2008
Not Puerto Rico - it might scare some people off. I would suggest looking at the Family Games ranking from the front page of BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Whiskey drinkerMicrobadge: University of Notre DameMicrobadge: University of DaytonMicrobadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2008
One more thing - a civ game, or many other games, may not translate from PC to board game as well. Remember that a PC does all your bookkeeping for you, whereas in a board game you have to do that yourself. That's part of the reason they become more complex as a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Segura
Spain
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Stone Age fanMicrobadge: Michael Menzel's artwork fanMicrobadge: Monkey Island fanMicrobadge: Always room for 1 more gameMicrobadge: Carl Sagan fan
Deroche wrote:

Also add these to your list:

Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Dominion, Stone Age, and Coloretto.

I've got all of them and I agree, they fits perfectly for that you're looking for. And my fave is Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
2020 unique titles | 2020 total plays
badge
Microbadge: Tottenham Hotspur FC fanMicrobadge: Puerto Rico fanMicrobadge: Ra fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: San Diego Chargers fan
kllian wrote:
Yes
For Sale
Pandemic
This looks like the perfect "Yes" list to me for getting started based on how you described your group.

kllian wrote:
Should Consider
Carcassonne +2
Stone Age +1
Tichu +1
Forbidden Island +1
Settlers of Catan +1
Dominion +1
Coloretto +1
All of these are worth considering. Coloretto and No Thanks! are good "filler" games like For Sale. Carcassonne and Stone Age are good steps up from Ticket to Ride. In my opinion, Carcassonne is much simpler but Stone Age would be a great way to start getting into a little more meat with the games. Forbidden Island is good, but Pandemic is better. Though, Forbidden Island is a bit easier to play so depending on how important that is, it's still a really good game. Dominion is another step up. Good game, but I'd hold off for a bit.

kllian wrote:
No
Puerto Rico (might be too complex) I'll hold off on this one
Finally, Puerto Rico is my favorite game and if everyone starts getting into it then it may be a game to buy some day... not yet. Belongs on the "no" list for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Poon
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
Another vote for Settlers.
It's an excellent game that allows people to interact with others through trading of resources. You also get occasions where people are trying to persuade the other person not to place the robber on them, which just creates a fun gaming atmosphere. The scoring system is easy to see.

I'll vote against carcassonne. It fell flat with my girlfriend and another friend. Not to mention thatI didn't really enjoy it.

We found that there was very limited social interaction (We were effectively sitting in silence while playing this game) and while there is strategy behind the game in terms of blocking and optimal placements. We found it to be quite boring, drawing tiles, placing, repeat - repeat action till all tiles are placed.

But I do realise that carcassonne is a highly rated game. I'm just not sure why it fell completely flat with our group. It might have something to do with the fact that my group tends to prefer games where players can interact conversational due to the game. So things like deduction/bluffing/trading are fun ways to do so.

A fantastic game that can be played without the actual game itself is "The resistance" - it's very short. Lasts only 10 minutes per round. It's basically a game of trying to deduce who is the spy amongst your group, and trying to stop them from sabotaging your mission when you form a team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2017 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Peanuts fanMicrobadge: University of Alabama
I definitely agree with TtR w/1910 & For Sale...since y'all seem to enjoy card games, you might want to consider some of these as well:

Gang of Four
The Bottle Imp
Wizard
Fairy Tale
PalastgeflĆ¼ster
Lords of Scotland
7 Wonders

I like Arimaa...some other 2-player games you might consider:

TZAAR
DVONN
YINSH
Dragonheart
Court of the Medici
The Battle for Hill 218

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Heroscape fanMicrobadge: Water Polo fanMicrobadge: Oingo Boingo fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fan
Another possible reference source is the current BGG gift guide. You'll notice many of the games on this list have also come up as recommendations in this thread.

Theres a good reason for that.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Board_Game_Gift_Guide...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
kllian wrote:
Lately it seems that all we do is play the card game golf (http://www.pagat.com/draw/golf.html) with 4 people. While the game is easy/fun to pick up, after the 100th time playing I need a break. There's normally 3 to 4 of us playing at a time, rarely will we have 5 people and we've never played a game with more than 5 (perhaps we need more friends!). Most of us are between the ages of 25 and 35.

Here is the list of games I'm considering and why I'm considering them:

1. For Sale (looks to be simple, quick, a good starter game for the night)
2. Ticket to Ride (we found this on XBox Live and played it several times already) w/ 1910 Expansion
3. Pandemic (Have never played a co-op game before, looks to be highly recommended)
4. Puerto Rico (The girlfriend and I both like games like Civilization on the PC)

5. Arimaa (this is for when it's just the two of us or if we want to start a game at work during a lunch break)

The people we'd be playing with have only played games like Monopoly and Life. I tried to get them to play Flux one evening and it really didn't go over well to the point that we didn't finish the first game.

Would this be a good starting point for a few months?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
New List after feedback

Yes
For Sale
Pandemic

Should Consider
Coloretto +2
Settlers of Catan +2
Carcassonne +2/-1
Stone Age +1
Tichu +1
Forbidden Island +1
Dominion +1
The resistance
No Thanks

No
Puerto Rico (might be too complex) I'll hold off on this one -2
I agree with most of this. I'd also suggest a couple not on your list that I have had success with:

Sorry! Sliders
Sushizock im Gockelwok
Tiki Topple
Water Lily

Oops! I forgot:
Dominion and
Dixit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilkins Chow
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: Puerto Rico fanMicrobadge: I play with Yellow!
I just bought/ordered my first 10 games a while ago.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/630392/buying-my-first-10-ga...

At the end I picked the games below.

1. Dixit
2. Dominion
3. The Settlers of Catan
4. Citadels
5. Ra
6. Carcassonne
7. Cosmic Encounter
8. Pancemic
9. Small World

Opps ... Only 9 as I have not decided for my 10th game yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: Stanley Kubrick fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: Play Modena attendeeMicrobadge: Garbage fan
Ticket to Ride is mandatory arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sounds like Ticket to Ride is the right choice for you guys. If you've already played it on XBox and like it, all the better. Your friends will pick up the rules in like 30 seconds, and its a nice way of getting into boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Seattle Sounders FC fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Rocket League fanMicrobadge: I love BrooklynMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"
Catan is the most obvious choice.

I think you guys might also like Alhambra: Big Box. It's a nice little mix of set collection and tiles placement. The Big Box is good value with the expansions. I think I prefer it to Ticket to Ride if I want a light game about set collection.

Ingenious is a fantastic abstract. Blokus is also good that is cheaper.

If you are looking at Dominion you should consider Thunderstone. I prefer the latter.

7 Wonders is also great. Finding a copy right now should be too hard.

London actually is quite a simple game. I would consider getting it next if you are looking for something slightly more complex, but not quite ready for Puerto Rico. If you guys like card games it is a good choice.

Good luck getting started!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Fircrest
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
There are two games that are great to introduce non-gamers into the community with: Settlers of Catan & Ticket to Ride. There is a reason these games are in places like Barnes & Noble & Target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Stronghold fanMicrobadge: Thrift VassalMicrobadge: Glory to Rome fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Navia Dratp fan
I've had a lot of luck with monopoly deal as a gateway game. It the bonus of being a recognizable brand and a really cheap, fun game.I give a +1 vote to battle for hill 218 as a great, quick two player game. There is a demo for it on the publishers website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Empire Builder fanMicrobadge: Cribbage fanMicrobadge: Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York - Lancaster fanMicrobadge: Astra Titanus fan
Zooloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All custom links lead to
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
Microbadge: RPGG Winter Microbadge Design Award WinnerMicrobadge: Best Microbadge of the Year 2016 - 1st placeMicrobadge: RPGG Spring Microbadge Design Award WinnerMicrobadge: Best Microbadge of the Year 2019 - 1st placeMicrobadge: RPGG Fall Microbadge Design Award Winner
I wouldn't say there's a reason to avoid Puerto Rico unless these people are expected to resist playing, which doesn't seem to be the case. It's an amazing game and not very complex. I could understand it more if people said to hold off games with stock auctions or programmed instruction until the next batch of purchases, but if people actually want to get into gaming, there's no reason why they should need TtR as a stepping-stone to Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Dyer
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I are serious cat. This is serious microbadge.Microbadge: Studio Ghibli fanMicrobadge: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective FanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fan
Tales of the Arabian Nights would add something unique to your list of games. It's almost like a choose your own adventure book and is always an experience to remember. I've also found it very easy to teach to new gamers. I wouldn't recommend with more than 4 though as the more players, the longer it takes. 3 is excellent as everyone has something do do even when it's not their turn.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is another game that oozes theme and I've found really draws in new players. It starts with all players exploring a haunted mansion and after some time a "haunt" begins and one player turns on the others becoming the traitor. At this point the 2 groups read from a secret book what their goals are for that particular "haunt". While sometime unbalanced it is always interesting and an experience. I've had some success with 3 players, but would recommend more with this game.

If your friends are less interested in winning and would prefer a memorable experience I would recommend either of the above games. Personally I wouldn't recommend Catan, while I recognize it has some interesting mechanics, it just seems a little plain and dated compared to so many games published after it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention +1 for Stone Age. Easy to pick up the mechanics and stratergies for new players. Only recently acquired this and think it's an excellent starting place for introducing friends into more strategic games. Seems to work great with 2,3 or 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garret
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Catan series fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 fanMicrobadge: 1st & Goal fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
Update:

I bought
For Sale
Pandemic
Settlers of Catan

Played For Sale with two sets of friends and overall it was a hit, everyone gave the game an 8. Next was Ticket to Ride. This game had less interaction with each other, everyone was quiet staring at the board plotting strategies. Everyone enjoyed this game and gave it a 7. We finished the night with Pandemic. This really should be played with at least 1 person who has played before. This brought out all the chatter and strategy and while it was the least favorite game of the night, everyone said they'd like to play again since we now know how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Poon
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
Pandemic was also a strange game since my friends didn't like it initially. But after they played it with another group, and understood more about the strategic aspect part. It suddenly became more fun.

Having said that, it was much better for us when we played open hand. But that's mostly to do with the fact that we don't feel the need to push each other completely and dominate the strategy.

How'd settlers go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: High Frontier (3rd edition) fanMicrobadge: Klemens Franz fanMicrobadge: WABA SupporterMicrobadge: Time of Crisis fanMicrobadge: Root fan
Ticket To Ride and Pandemic were two of our first three purchases and they are excellent beginner games. So I recommend picking those up for sure.

Do NOT buy Forbidden Island if you're getting Pandemic - it is a lighter version of the game and plays very similarly. It's good, but go one or the other (at least in your first purchase - you don't want to buy two games that are the same at the same time)

Stone Age is also a really excellent starter which will probably have a longer life than the other two as well.

EDIT: Oops, I missed the post where you'd actually purchased games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garret
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
KeroKai wrote:
How'd settlers go?
Haven't had a chance for settlers yet, I'm thinking another go at Pandemic is in order first but we did play Ticket to Ride with the same friends again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |