Nightfall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing 5 cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan - Deluxe Edition ownerMicrobadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Anniversary EditionMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Gamer Family
Do I understand this correctly, when you draw cards say you have 3 cards left you still draw a further 5 to total 8?

Cheers kergen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: 2012 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 2012 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: University of Kentucky
You draw back up to 5, not draw 5 to add.

Pg 17: "The last thing you do on your turn is draw cards. If you
have fewer than 5 cards in your hand, you must draw
cards from your deck until you have 5 cards in your hand."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
Microbadge: Ubuntu userMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I design board games!Microbadge: Racquetball player
kergenramirez wrote:
Do I understand this correctly, when you draw cards say you have 3 cards left you still draw a further 5 to total 8?
No, you draw until you have 5 cards. So in your example you would only draw 2 new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan - Deluxe Edition ownerMicrobadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Anniversary EditionMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Gamer Family
s3rvant wrote:
kergenramirez wrote:
No, you draw until you have 5 cards. So in your example you would only draw 2 new cards.
David,How come the rule book states that there is no limit to hand size? pg 17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: 2012 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 2012 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: University of Kentucky
kergenramirez wrote:
s3rvant wrote:
kergenramirez wrote:
David,How come the rule book states that there is no limit to hand size?
After you draw, you can have wounds, which will allow you to draw past those 5 cards. So thus you could have more than 5 cards in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Weil
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Thunderstone fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Perry Rhodan fan
Saberj wrote:
kergenramirez wrote:
s3rvant wrote:
kergenramirez wrote:
David,How come the rule book states that there is no limit to hand size?
After you draw, you can have wounds, which will allow you to draw past those 5 cards. So thus you could have more than 5 cards in your hand.
You could also play various cards on chains, both on your turn and others' turn(s) that allow you to draw additional cards. Or others could play cards that force a draw.

Even the starter decks include at least one minion which makes you draw two cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Gesumaria
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Silent Hill fanMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Mega Man fanMicrobadge: "I can't shake him!"
Yes while you can easily get over 5 and there isn't a hand limit, once the end of your turn comes around you draw back up to 5. So if you have more than that you don't get to draw. Unless you have some wounds to discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
Microbadge: Ubuntu userMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I design board games!Microbadge: Racquetball player
Immelmann wrote:
Yes while you can easily get over 5 and there isn't a hand limit, once the end of your turn comes around you draw back up to 5. So if you have more than that you don't get to draw. Unless you have some wounds to discard.
Correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/800Microbadge: Russian Railroads fanMicrobadge: Lords of Waterdeep fanMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: APBA Pro Baseball fan
s3rvant wrote:
Immelmann wrote:
Correct
Whew. I just want to be sure about this. If it's my turn to draw to 5, but I already have 5 or more. I don't draw. Got that. But, if I have wound cards at that point, I can discard them to draw more cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
emcher wrote:
Whew. I just want to be sure about this. If it's my turn to draw to 5, but I already have 5 or more. I don't draw. Got that. But, if I have wound cards at that point, I can discard them to draw more cards?
Correct, at the end of your cleanup phase, after you've drawn back up to 5 cards, check your hand for wound cards. If you have any in your hand at that time, you may activate 1 of them for this effect. Any further wounds drawn from this effect must be kept and can be used for influence, held onto until the following cleanup phase, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Jones
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Small World fan - AmazonsMicrobadge: Carcassonne fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
s3rvant wrote:
emcher wrote:
Correct, at the end of your cleanup phase, after you've drawn back up to 5 cards, check your hand for wound cards. If you have any in your hand at that time, you may activate 1 of them for this effect. Any further wounds drawn from this effect must be kept and can be used for influence, held onto until the following cleanup phase, etc.
activate only 1 wound card? — We played that you could activate all the wound cards you had

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: My Game CollectionMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed Games
crichtonfarscape wrote:
activate only 1 wound card? — We played that you could activate all the wound cards you had
You can discard as many cards with one wound effect as you like. Currently, there is only one wound effect type, so you can discard as many as you have and draw two cards for each. I suspect the wording is for forward compatibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Look!Microbadge: Pun microbadges are the wurst!Microbadge: equalsMicrobadge: Best Microbadge of the Year 2019 - 2nd placeMicrobadge: AWESOME!
What is this forward compatability of which you speak? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: My Game CollectionMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed Games
edbolme wrote:
What is this forward compatability of which you speak? ninja
I was trying to think of an example in corporate or political America, and realized there isn't one. I'll shut up now... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls