Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie solo question:Starting player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Meyers
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: April Fool's Day Easter Egg Finder 2011Microbadge: I stormed the beaches of Kickstarter to get D-Day DiceMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I just nedd a little clarification. I'm playing a solo game to just make sure I understand the rules before I rope the family into playing. I'm playing the family board also. From what I gather, the starting player/storehouse action isn't used. If it is used then you could really only have 1 additonal action aside from the storehouse. I see however from solo session reports that people aren't using this action. I just can't find in the rule book how this action fits into the solo game. I understand everything else, multiplayer-wise just not solo-wise. Maybe, I shouldn't play the family version and solo version at the same time. Any friendly clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks
SJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artyom
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dixit fanMicrobadge: I love Norway!Microbadge: I love Germany!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Code Monkey
There is no need to use the "first player" action in a solo game. You are the only player after all and always start first laugh I think its not forbidden to use this field, but it's pretty much pointless (the one extra food is not worth it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Microbadge: Princes of Florence fanMicrobadge: I delete all my 'Free Game Contest Participant' microbadges so people don't think I'm a scrounger.Microbadge: Glass Road fanMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
To the best of my memory, it's not one extra food - the food accumulates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Firefly fanMicrobadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Loves to cook
ousgg wrote:
To the best of my memory, it's not one extra food - the food accumulates.
Correct, it does accumulate. To my knowledge, using this space in the solo version is ok, family or full (where you could use it to play a minor improvement). But maybe there has been a ruling that I don't know about.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
The Starting Player/Storehouse does not accumulate food in the family solo game. I first discovered this in the Farmers of the Moor rules, and later found out that it's true of base game as well (apparently it was omitted). The struggle for food is a key limiting factor in the solo game, and having two food accumulation spots would make it a little too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Meyers
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: April Fool's Day Easter Egg Finder 2011Microbadge: I stormed the beaches of Kickstarter to get D-Day DiceMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Wow. First off, thanks guys for all the input. Thanks for not talking down to a noob. All of your posotive comments are what make this a great site. Thanks again.
SJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls