Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 3.141 592 653 589 793 238 462 643 383 279 502 884 197 169 399 375 105 820 974 944 592 307 816 406 286 208 998 628 034 825 342 117 067 982 148 086 513 282 306 647 093 844 609 550 582 231 725 359 408 128 481 117 450 284 102 701 938 521 105 559 644 ...Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
The rules for Evade checks say that they are required to perform non-attack actions.
What exactly does 'attack' mean?

The Typewriter item has an action that can potentially damage monsters, but it is not a weapon and does not use the word 'attack.' So do I have to make an evade check first, or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I track all my games playedMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: I write comments on my 'Record a Play'Microbadge: I avoid KickstarterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
Asked this myself in another thread (Holy Water also qualifies under this), but don't it anybody caught that or at least knew the answer as it got no reply.

By the rules, I think you do have to evade, but then it's, well, why can I shank that Cultist with a Knife for "free", but can't bash his head in with this Typewriter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
I would agree in that it seems that special abilities that cause damage are not classified as attacks. "Use card Action ability" and "attack" are two different actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Black KittyMicrobadge: LibrarianMicrobadge: 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest participantMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fan
Yeah, it's weird. It's one of those rules new players are going to complain about every time you explain it. "What do you mean it's not an attack? I'm hitting the cultist over the head with a typewriter!"

The rule as written is counter-intuitive. I guess it's there for some game-balancing purpose, to keep Gloria and Sister Mary from being too thuggish. Players will still moan and complain and demand their abilities be treated as attacks, and the logic is pretty hard to argue with there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Facebook avoiderMicrobadge: Video gamer since 1990Microbadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: Python programmer
I think of them as improvised weapons, therefore the 'penalty' of having to make an evade check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: GeekChatterMicrobadge: Spirit Island fan - Heart of the WildfireMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Spirit Island fan - Sharp Fangs Behind the LeavesMicrobadge: Rainbow
By any common-sense interpretation, its obviously an attack, with intent to damage the monster. Given how lousy the attack is, I don't see a reason to penalize it any more. Given how unclear the rules are, I don't see any reason to try to get rules-lawyery about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Microbadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: I'm a walking billboard. (Now leasing.)Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Suffers from Psychomagnesis - I attract crazy women
StormKnight wrote:
By any common-sense interpretation, its obviously an attack, with intent to damage the monster. Given how lousy the attack is, I don't see a reason to penalize it any more. Given how unclear the rules are, I don't see any reason to try to get rules-lawyery about it.
Rules are very clear.
Q: Is it an attack action?
A: Yes.. no evade.
A: No... then evade first.

Just because something has the chance to damage does not make it an attack.

It has nothing to do with be "rules-lawyery" its just the way it is. Nothing strange about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I track all my games playedMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: I write comments on my 'Record a Play'Microbadge: I avoid KickstarterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
On the plus side, if you have the Cult Robes, you can Holy Water/Typewriter with +4 to evade and not lose the robes.

Cultist: Ow! Hey! What are you doing?
Robed Gloria: This stupid thing is jammed or something, I'm trying to fix it.
Cultist: By banging it against my head?

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Microbadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: I'm a walking billboard. (Now leasing.)Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Suffers from Psychomagnesis - I attract crazy women
Dam the Man wrote:
On the plus side, if you have the Cult Robes, you can Holy Water/Typewriter with +4 to evade and not lose the robes.

Cultist: Ow! Hey! What are you doing?
Robed Gloria: This stupid thing is jammed or something, I'm trying to fix it.
Cultist: By banging it against my head?

laugh
Exactly! :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn G.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: The answer to Life, the Universe and EverythingMicrobadge: L5R Scorpion ClanMicrobadge: Masks of Nyarlathotep fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: The Old Republic fan
corkysru wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Rules are very clear.
Q: Is it an attack action?
A: Yes.. no evade.
A: No... then evade first.

Just because something has the chance to damage does not make it an attack.

It has nothing to do with be "rules-lawyery" its just the way it is. Nothing strange about it.
Does the Keeper draw attack cards for your damaging action? If so.. it's probably an attack. Just because it is not labeled as a weapon does not mean you are not making an attack. You can attack with no weapons as well....

It's label affects things such as mythos cards... it is still an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Dark Souls fanMicrobadge: Futurama fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (fourth edition) fanMicrobadge: Spelunky fan
sirfuzzy wrote:
Does the Keeper draw attack cards for your damaging action? If so.. it's probably an attack. Just because it is not labeled as a weapon does not mean you are not making an attack. You can attack with no weapons as well....

It's label affects things such as mythos cards... it is still an attack.
But it is not an attack action, which is all that matters. Under the rules, those items require an evade check to use. Choose to ignore the rules or not, but those are the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 3.141 592 653 589 793 238 462 643 383 279 502 884 197 169 399 375 105 820 974 944 592 307 816 406 286 208 998 628 034 825 342 117 067 982 148 086 513 282 306 647 093 844 609 550 582 231 725 359 408 128 481 117 450 284 102 701 938 521 105 559 644 ...Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
sirfuzzy wrote:

The typewriter does not involve drawing combat cards, so I'm not sure how this is relevant at all.
That being said, I allowed the investigators to use the typewriter without an evade check last night. If it required an evade check, I can't imagine any situation in which I'd rather use the typewriter than attack with my fists.
I'm all for the 'improvised weapon' argument which would penalize it, but why would an investigator attacking with a typewriter suffer a greater penalty than one without a weapon at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn G.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: The answer to Life, the Universe and EverythingMicrobadge: L5R Scorpion ClanMicrobadge: Masks of Nyarlathotep fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: The Old Republic fan
MasterDinadan wrote:
sirfuzzy wrote:

The typewriter does not involve drawing combat cards, so I'm not sure how this is relevant at all.
Good point! Apparently it was a house rule we made the first night we played to treat the typewriter as a weapon with a damage rating of 2. Since I have never played the author myself I guess I missed that.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play with purple!Microbadge: I play a Sorcerer!Microbadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bed
I thought that she typed the attack into the typewriter and it becomes true, because she is psychic. That's way cooler than hitting someone on the head!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
MasterDinadan wrote:
sirfuzzy wrote:

That being said, I allowed the investigators to use the typewriter without an evade check last night. If it required an evade check, I can't imagine any situation in which I'd rather use the typewriter than attack with my fists.
I'm all for the 'improvised weapon' argument which would penalize it, but why would an investigator attacking with a typewriter suffer a greater penalty than one without a weapon at all?
The thing is in certain cases not treating it as an attack is greatly beneficial. Any time the cultist robes are involved it is amazingly useful.
"Oops sorry didn't mean to hit you with this.. I tripped!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, that's, like, your opinion, man
Microbadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Rules LawyerMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Cthulhu For President!Microbadge: Fez
I treat it as an attack and don't require an evade. I'm a rebel like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls