Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Microbadge: Golden Girls fanMicrobadge: Golden Girls fanMicrobadge: Golden GeeklisterMicrobadge: Golden Girls fanMicrobadge: Golden Girls fan
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Hurray! Thanks to the creative talents of Indigo Potter the microbadge is now available Microbadge: TGIF Poll fan!

In celebration I will give 8geekgold towards the purchase of this microbadge (or the microbadge of your choice if you already bought this one) to 5 randomly-selected users who post discussion about the poll today or throughout this weekend (names will be drawn Monday.)

Poll: The 137th TGIF Poll
Which of these games did you enjoy when you were growing up?

(Note: This isn't meant to be some kind of exhaustive list, it's a selection of games from my childhood that I just randomly chose. Also I want to know how you felt about them when you were a kid, not now that you're an adult.)
  Liked it Disliked it Never played it/Don't remember Vote Count
Checkers 74.5% (225) 21.9% (66) 3.6% (11) 302
Chinese Checkers 64.0% (194) 17.8% (54) 18.2% (55) 303
Pachisi 46.1% (136) 18.0% (53) 35.9% (106) 295
Pay Day 37.8% (113) 5.4% (16) 56.9% (170) 299
Connect Four 73.7% (221) 15.3% (46) 11.0% (33) 300
Uncle Wiggily 13.4% (39) 4.1% (12) 82.4% (239) 290
The Game of Life 67.3% (202) 18.7% (56) 14.0% (42) 300
Clue 79.5% (240) 12.3% (37) 8.3% (25) 302
Mastermind 70.5% (213) 10.3% (31) 19.2% (58) 302
Stratego 71.0% (213) 5.3% (16) 23.7% (71) 300
Operation 51.7% (156) 30.8% (93) 17.5% (53) 302
Chess 80.6% (241) 17.4% (52) 2.0% (6) 299
Mouse Trap 56.0% (168) 17.3% (52) 26.7% (80) 300
Monopoly 77.8% (235) 20.9% (63) 1.3% (4) 302
Old Maid 41.4% (122) 30.2% (89) 28.5% (84) 295
War 49.0% (146) 33.2% (99) 17.8% (53) 298
Battleship 83.0% (249) 16.3% (49) 0.7% (2) 300
Total Voters 305
If you have 1 or more children: Have you, or will you, introduce them to the games you played when growing up?

If you have no children: If you were to have a child would you introduce them to the games you played when growing up?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Absolutely
37.3% 109
Probably
28.8% 84
Maybe
19.9% 58
Doubtful
11.3% 33
No Way
2.7% 8
Voters 292
Do you think the quality of the games a parent plays with their child has any bearing on whether that child will grow up to be a board game lover?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Absolutely
17.0% 52
Probably
30.4% 93
Maybe
31.4% 96
Doubtful
17.3% 53
No Way
3.9% 12
Voters 306
This poll is now closed.   309 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Apr 7, 2011 6:00 am

#4. What was your favorite game when you were a kid?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
Microbadge: Play On Target Podcast fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG fanMicrobadge: CatholicMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
My favorite game growing up was probably Stratego. The elements of strategy, different setup every time, easily played with two players.

I always had a good time whenever I broke this out. Plus, if I didn't have anyone to play with, I could just play war with the pieces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
Microbadge: The Warren RPG fanMicrobadge: Dogs in the Vineyard RPG fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: PsychologistMicrobadge: Duke University

I think the real answer is that I will teach my kid(s) some of the games I played growing up and skip others. Some like chess, checkers, chinese checkers, stratego, etc. are games that they should know how to play. Others like battleship I will probably sub in other similar games, like Zendo. Other games I will simply skip over in favor of "better" games.

Quote:
Probably dress up/make believe. I was so happy when I discovered roleplaying in elementary school, and so happy again when I discovered LARPing in middle school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:
That all depends upon when "kid" stops. I learned Acquire when I was 12, and it instantly became a favorite, because it had more room for skillful play than the games I'd played previously. I later - but before leaving high school, maybe in junior high - discovered Mr. President and Civilization, which I also loved.

But as a result of finding Acquire - I can't really point to a favorite game from before Acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: Orlando Magic fanMicrobadge: University of NebraskaMicrobadge: Grim Dawn fanMicrobadge: Tampa Bay Devil Rays fan
My parents didn't play a lot of non-face card games, although my Dad would play (and usually crush me) Risk with me. My mother taught me Euchre, Hearts and Spades, which are still some of my favorite trick taking games.

Plus they got me some awesome games for various birthdays, which included HeroQuest and This Game is Bonkers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I used to think The Game of Life was awsome. The spinner was cool, the car was cool, getting married and having kids was hilarious. I'll be picking it up to play with my kids. I've already taught them Checkers, Monopoly, Connect 4, Mastermind (my youngest didn't get this one very well), Old Maid, Operation, and War. I'm not saying that I go out of my way to play any of those games but it is fun to play them with my kids. I've been trying to play some of the more complex kids games and we just played Labyrinth and they both seemed to like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lindsey
United States
Sioux Center
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 1-UpMicrobadge: Irish Gauge fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: God plays diceMicrobadge: Every true 18xx fan knows you should use $20 chips
Growing up, our favorite game to play was Rummy. We carried a deck of cards around all the time, and when the parents were doing "grown up things," we'd sit down and play Rummy.

A close second was Clue, until my older sister accused me of cheating when I was using their guesses to figure out what cards they had. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Whiskey drinkerMicrobadge: University of Notre DameMicrobadge: University of DaytonMicrobadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2008
We played with Mousetrap a lot, but never actually played the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Doctor Who fan - Christopher Eccleston, 9th DoctorMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan - David Tennant, 10th DoctorMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan - Matt Smith, 11th DoctorMicrobadge: Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?Microbadge: Oh, brilliant!
When I was very young I used 'dream' of the day I could ply my Dad's copy of Risk... also played Trouble, Cluedo, Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly and card games like Blackjack, Rummy, Cribbage.

My dad enjoyed games too, so as I got to 11 or so, we got games like Talisman and a lot of the non-warhammer games that Games Workshop used to do. So I really enjoyed those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BOGA MemberMicrobadge: ArchitectMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Soccer fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys
No Fair. Why only like or dislike? Why not “It was OK”? I put I liked every game. I know that I liked playing any game better than doing homework, so I think I was honest.

My favorite game growing up…. Risk. I had an awesome group of friends who we loved to kill each other. We are still love to kill each other every chance we get. Now its with Small World, Cyclades, and Twilight Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Microbadge: Golden Girls fanMicrobadge: Golden Girls fanMicrobadge: Golden GeeklisterMicrobadge: Golden Girls fanMicrobadge: Golden Girls fan
1 - I really liked Pay Day, Clue, Stratego, Monopoly, Old Maid, and War. I really hated Chinese Checkers, Checkers, and Operation. A lot of the rest fall somewhere in the middle (for example, I liked playing with the components of Mouse Trap, but I don't think I liked the game.) I've never played Uncle Wiggily, I just included it in the poll at the request of my wife who came up with today's poll topic.

2 - I probably would introduce my children to most of the games I enjoyed as a kid. Why not stick with the games that I know are enjoyable for someone their age?

3 - I think the quantity may be infinitely more important than the quality. I don't think that, just because I play Animal Upon Animal with my kid instead of Candy Land, they are suddenly going to have more passion for games. Candy Land can be just as enjoyable experience. At that age, I think it's all about having fun with Dad, not about having fun with the game. Although, not being a parent myself, I'm certainly no authority on the matter.

4 - I loved Go For It! I only vaguely remember the game, but there was something about collecting all those cool things that just wowed me. There were plenty of others, but this is the first one that came to mind for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bury
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - JintekiMicrobadge: Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001-? fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a Cylon
Chess, I guess. I used to play it with my Dad. Other games seemed shallow when compared to it, not that I profess to be a master or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: Yucata.de playerMicrobadge: Knitting enthusiastMicrobadge: Ren Faire fanMicrobadge: Golden Girls fan
I played almost all of those - Uncle Wiggily is the only I haven't tried.

My favorite was certainly Clue, but I also had a fondness for 3 other Parker Brothers classics - Monopoly, Payday, and Trust Me. As I got older I developed a love for party games and for Shadowlord!

But our family also played a lot of traditional card games. Favorites for me included Euchre, Spite & Malice, Bridge and Hand and Foot.

EDIT - Got the microbadge! But I can't say how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi lover
SVan wrote:

Plus they got me some awesome games for various birthdays, which included HeroQuest and This Game is Bonkers!
thumbsupthumbsup

These were the two games I was going to name. I got HeroQuest when I was 10-11, and before that, played Bonkers all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Olmstead
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play the trumpetMicrobadge: Chicago Cubs fanMicrobadge: Bluegrass fanMicrobadge: Copper SGOYT poster. At least 50 geeklist items posted!Microbadge: Solitaire Wargamer
Favorite game as a kid?

We played tons of games in my household, it's definitely the reason I'm still a gamer today. I liked playing them all, regardless of the quality of the game, just because I liked playing games in general.

My favorite was chess. My dad had a revolutionary war chess set (probably acquired around time of the bicentennial) and I just remember with joy the first time he sat me down to use that set and teach me chess. I played off and on through high school but really haven't played chess since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
I think Careers was my favorite as a kid. I still want to play it as an adult, just to see how it compares. It can't be any worse than Fluxx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
I really liked Chinese Checkers as a kid. Played with an old set when I visited my great aunts. At home we had a cheap game set with a checker/chess board on one side and a Chinese Checker board on the other.

I played alot of Risk with other kids on my street. We usually had four to six kids playing Risk.

I do have found memories playing Monopoly with my mom and brothers. She had an old set from the 30's with wooden houses and hotels. The board was separate from the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie Fabian

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
Microbadge: LawyerMicrobadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fan - Shut the door!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Scythe fan
I know it's taboo on this site, but I loved Monopoly, and sometimes still like to play. But that's my greed showing. Bankrupting people always makes me smile maliciously.

On a personal note, my mom beat me at Monopoly for the first time when I was 10. I've been calling for a rematch since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - EzrenMicrobadge: Video Game DesignerMicrobadge: I Delve in Dungeons!
Blott wrote:
My favorite (insofar as I can remember now) was probably Stop Thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
I used to love Slam, Racing Demon, HeroQuest and The Mysteries of Peking, among others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We played a lot of games when I was growing up. I especially remember times when either the power would be off (seemed to happen a lot back then), or there was a news story (girl in well, SLA shootout, etc.) where we'd listen to battery operated transister radio updates all night and we'd play cards as a family while waiting for the power to come back or more information on the story.

The neighborhood kids, of course, played a lot of Monopoly, Risk, Clue, & Stratego. It wasn't until my best friend & neighbor got "The Monopoly Book", which I read while at his house during the next several visits, that I really gave any thought to analyzing a boardgame to improve my chance of winning. Hey, I could adapt my strategy to what other players were doing. Or I could take advantage of their lack of understanding the values of certain properties. Wow! This book led me down the path to my enjoyment of thinking about games when I'm not even playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Autism AcceptanceMicrobadge: Dark Domains fan
I remember playing Don't Break the Ice with my dad. I think that was our first game. The first "real" game we played would have been Le Mans. We didn't play with the "real advanced" rules, but we still had a lot of fun.

My sister and I had fun playing Whodunit. I found it recently and will probably introduce my son to it when he's old enough.

I never wish away one second of my son's toddlerhood, but there is a little part of me that can't wait to play baseball with him in the yard and play games with him in the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift System fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Heavy Cardboard podcast fan
Verkisto wrote:
I think Careers was my favorite as a kid. I still want to play it as an adult, just to see how it compares. It can't be any worse than Fluxx.
Since I was also going to say that I liked Careers and would like to try it again, we really get it to the table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
Microbadge: Codenames fan - Innocent BystanderMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Hansa Teutonica fan
4. My favourite board game was probably Talisman (3rd edition) which I got for about my 10th or 11th birthday. When I was a bit younger I liked Curse of the Idol.

I don't have children, if I did I'm not sure if I'd play mass market Ameritrash games with them, as it seems cruel (classics that are actually good like Chess are fine). I expect they would still be exposed to the 'trash anyway, assuming Euros haven't out competed them by then.

It also depends on the age of the children. I'd almost certainly end up using BGG to seek out some German style childrens games or dexterity games for 3 year olds, and switch to light euros when they are old enough.

As for if playing bad games makes you less likely to like games, I can see that there'd be circumstances where it would put someone off games (like a super competitive parent or a poor loser, cheating etc.). I guess if you get to play great games all your life you are less likely to think (as an adult) that board games are stupid/for children/too complicated. The vast majority of use were raised on garbage games, but went on to grow into beautiful geek butterflies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
Microbadge: Serta Sheep fanMicrobadge: Fan of MasksMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Burgers of July 2019 - first year!Microbadge: 3M Bookshelf Games fan
I have loved playing games since I was very young. My dad taught me chess and checkers when I was about five. He also had always loved puzzles (like Tangoes, but weren't out) and that carried over to me.

My favorite game as a child had to be Monopoly (and I still like it - and just got a copy of the Michael Graves Keepsake Monopoly in trade this past week!). My clearest memory was playing Monopoly in the kitchen with my mom and dad when I was about seven. House ruled to death, my dad had a ton of hotels (way more than 12) and I was scooting around the board, deftly missing his hotels, staying alive in the game. I think that game REALLY sparked my love of games. I think the next Christmas, my folks got me my own Monopoly set, along with Careers, the Inventers, Smess, and perhaps something else.

Learned Sheepshead when I was about 12, as well. Classic Milwaukee and coming from a family with a German background, it was something I had to do (and love the game).

A good friend of mine had Sinking of the Titantic and Bermuda Triangle of which I loved, as well. I still game with this friend on a weekly basis, 35 years later (the only time we didn't game on a regular basis was when we were both in the military).

In reality, I have been gaming straight for 40 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |