Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » General

Subject: Availability in Montreal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi there, I am located in Montreal (Canada) and would like to try this game tonight. Does anyone know of a store that carries it?

Thanks,

Psykofil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Letourneau
Canada
Montrea
Quebec
flag msg tools
Le Valet d'Coeur is one of the store carrying the most boardgame/wargames in montreal and I've not been able to find it on their shelves at all. I'm guessing that there is either no store carrying it in the region...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Sherlock Holmes fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan Microbadge: What does this mean for Up Front?Microbadge: Wargamer - WW2Microbadge: Cult of the Old
psykofil wrote:
Hi there, I am located in Montreal (Canada) and would like to try this game tonight. Does anyone know of a store that carries it?

Thanks,

Psykofil
Le Valet d'Coeur, on St-Denis (just south of Mont-Royal).

EDIT: Well, I bought my copy there a couple of weeks ago. When's the last time you checked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Their online inventory shows none but I know it is not always accurate. I think I'll drop by anyway and check. I want to buy a new game anyway. Any suggestion for war games they might have for 5-6 players?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Sherlock Holmes fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan Microbadge: What does this mean for Up Front?Microbadge: Wargamer - WW2Microbadge: Cult of the Old
Or you could give them a call.

Now a wargame for 5-6 players? I don't know any.
(Unless you count Diplomacy.)

Then again, maybe Imperial would scratch your itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diplo does count of course! but not with 5-6 and I don't think we will reach 7 tonight. Also, our games tend to last 6+ hours so we have to start earlier!

As for Imperial, it is a great game too (I already own it) but we are looking for something more strategic and war simulation oriented.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Appointment in Milano - Bobby Watson
badge
The Golden Spiders - Rex Stout
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
psykofil wrote:
Any suggestion for war games they might have for 5-6 players?
Here I Stand might be in stock. If you're OK with lighter fare, Dust is a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sphere wrote:
psykofil wrote:
Any suggestion for war games they might have for 5-6 players?
Here I Stand might be in stock. If you're OK with lighter fare, Dust is a possibility.
Here I Stand? The poor guy wants to buy a game today and play it tonight.
There's no way HIS will be it. gulp

Frankly, Phil, I think you're asking for the impossible.

I'd just buy three copies of Combat Commander and play parallel games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I haven't played HIS but 1 guy in our group has. It might indeed be a little too eavy for tonight. I am looking at Dust and he does look interesting.
1 guy managed to find a copy of NP so we might play it after all.
Question...is it really interesting to play NP 3 vs 3? Or does it end up as face to face with a couple of guys pushing units for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Kate Bush fanMicrobadge: Divine Comedy fanMicrobadge: TransgenderMicrobadge: Noam ChomskyMicrobadge: Solar Energy fan
psykofil wrote:
Question...is it really interesting to play NP 3 vs 3? Or does it end up as face to face with a couple of guys pushing units for you?
Did you mean NT and not NP?

Assuming so:

Lots of people like the multi-player version, but if the players haven't ever played before, you might want to ease off the no-communication rules to allow rules questions and discussions.

With 3-on-3, there is some risk that 2 players on one end of the battlefield could be stuck in a quiet sector, but in general, if you expect a sector to be quiet, you can divide the commands so that no player's entire command consists of pieces that you don't expect to do much. (Of course, the opposing side can always turn your "quiet" sector into a much livelier place than you expected, so there is that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Appointment in Milano - Bobby Watson
badge
The Golden Spiders - Rex Stout
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
weishaupt wrote:
I think NT will be a challenge in that regard as well, unless they have somebody who has played before. (That's why I mentioned Dust - far simpler fare). He did ask what 5-6 player wargame might be in stock if NT wasn't, though, and I figured that HIS was the best bet.

weishaupt wrote:
His reach is supposed to exceed his grasp, isn't it? Who knows - they may do great. I hope he finds a copy of NT, which is a 10 in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sphere wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
I think NT will be a challenge in that regard as well, unless they have somebody who has played before. (That's why I mentioned Dust - far simpler fare). He did ask what 5-6 player wargame might be in stock if NT wasn't, though, and I figured that HIS was the best bet.

weishaupt wrote:
His reach is supposed to exceed his grasp, isn't it? Who knows - they may do great. I hope he finds a copy of NT, which is a 10 in my book.
I've yet to try it, Sphere.
And I have a copy of it sitting on my shelf!! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
psykofil wrote:
I haven't played HIS but 1 guy in our group has. It might indeed be a little too eavy for tonight. I am looking at Dust and he does look interesting.
Say, am I hallucinating or you modified your username?
Are we allowed to do that now?
(I've always wanted to correct the typo of the lower-case W at the beginning of my username, but it's never been allowed...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Letourneau
Canada
Montrea
Quebec
flag msg tools
psykofil wrote:
Their online inventory shows none but I know it is not always accurate. I think I'll drop by anyway and check. I want to buy a new game anyway. Any suggestion for war games they might have for 5-6 players?

Thanks!
I've been at the store at the beginning of the week and it wasn't on the shelves, or if it was, it was hidden/behind something... I didn't ask the staff or anything else, because I was only browsing after getting a copy of Twilight Struggles.

Calling them first is always the smartest step, unless you just like to wander in and look around if what you want isn't there (like I do )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
weishaupt wrote:
Say, am I hallucinating or you modified your username?
Are we allowed to do that now?
(I've always wanted to correct the typo of the lower-case W at the beginning of my username, but it's never been allowed...)
Sorry Francis, I didn't change my username but only my name.

Thanks a lot all for the comments. I ended up buying Dust and we decided to play it rather than Napoleon.
We all liked the game and it was very nice since nobody had played before. First time in a while that we all were newbies to a game together. We certainly made a lot of mistakes but definitely, the game has some potential and can be played quite fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls