Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: RainbowMicrobadge: Microscope RPG fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fanMicrobadge: Super Smash Bros. fan
If the goal of the game is to win (as opposed to explore), when do you think it's a good idea to go into the Dungeon?

What do your stats look like? What do you hope to gain? Since this game is (from a tactical perspective) essentially a race, is it, perhaps, never a good idea to go in? Can everything be accomplished better elsewhere?

Note: I posted a similar thread in the Highlands expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Nuclear power professionalMicrobadge: Kai LordMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: PC BuilderMicrobadge: Latter-day Saint
If you have a character that you think is crappy (e.g. Priest), then you should go into the dungeon. You'll either get lucky and get stronger quickly, or you'll die quickly and get a new character.

If you are the assassin, or if you have a bunch of combat boosters, it may be easier to defeat the LoD by 8 than getting through the inner region the normal way.

If you have the staff of mastery, or toadify spell, the Lord of Darkness will be really easy to squash.

Also, if you are having trouble finding a talisman or getting to the middle region, the dungeon is more attractive, since you don't need a talisman to win by the dungeon route. Also, if you fail to beat the LoD by 8, you can still get a talisman from the treasure deck if you are strong enough to pass the mines/crypt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I track all my games playedMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: I write comments on my 'Record a Play'Microbadge: I avoid KickstarterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
Quizoid wrote:
What do your stats look like? What do you hope to gain? Since this game is (from a tactical perspective) essentially a race, is it, perhaps, never a good idea to go in? Can everything be accomplished better elsewhere?
About Str 6 is what I prefer, with a weapon to boost battle. If a high Str character draws Cross early, hit the Dungeon hard. Ogre Chieftain/Necromancer can collect Followers for their abilities and then move into the Dungeon, upon reaching the Treasure Chamber, cash them all in to have 20+ Str/Craft easy.

In a normal ending game, barring specific situations like that, most Dungeon sees is people going in for a quick +1 or +2 to the stat they will be using on the Inner Region. However, in an Ice Queen/Eagle King ending, where you're looking at having 15 in the stat you will be using against the ending, Dungeon is a lot more busy. Dungeon is the best place to grind stats and you need to grind quite a bit with those endings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Aarontu wrote:
If you have a character that you think is crappy (e.g. Priest), then you should go into the dungeon. You'll either get lucky and get stronger quickly, or you'll die quickly and get a new character.

If you are the assassin, or if you have a bunch of combat boosters, it may be easier to defeat the LoD by 8 than getting through the inner region the normal way.

If you have the staff of mastery, or toadify spell, the Lord of Darkness will be really easy to squash.

Also, if you are having trouble finding a talisman or getting to the middle region, the dungeon is more attractive, since you don't need a talisman to win by the dungeon route. Also, if you fail to beat the LoD by 8, you can still get a talisman from the treasure deck if you are strong enough to pass the mines/crypt.
I only have the online (Steam) version of this game. As far as I know, on defeating the LoD, there's a chance you might be taken to the Crown of Command afterwards, but other than that, I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention "winning by the dungeon route." Is there maybe something different about the online vs the in-person versions? Or can you elaborate on what you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 08 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Clank! fanMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fanMicrobadge: Bang! fan
Speusippus wrote:
I only have the online (Steam) version of this game. As far as I know, on defeating the LoD, there's a chance you might be taken to the Crown of Command afterwards, but other than that, I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention "winning by the dungeon route." Is there maybe something different about the online vs the in-person versions? Or can you elaborate on what you mean?
There is a chance, but you have some control over it.

Link to the Treasure Chamber space:
http://www.talismanwiki.com/Treasure_Chamber
"Whether you win or lose, subtract the Lord of Darkness's attack score from your attack score to see where you emerge:

0) Crags
1) Forest
7) Plain of Peril
8+) Crown of Command"

If you beat him by 8 points or more, you go directly to the Crown of Command. You do NOT need a Talisman, as the 'Talisman Check' happens on the Valley of Fire space.
So it is (usually) a random chance, but the more you can beat him by, the better your odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls