Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Hive: The Ladybug» Forums » Rules

Subject: It may not move around the outside of the Hive - What does it mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
Microbadge: S.P.Q.RisiKo! fanMicrobadge: Balloon Cup fanMicrobadge: ZX Spectrum fanMicrobadge: Grand Cru fan - Pinot NoirMicrobadge: Puerto Rico fan
Ladybug may not move around the outside of the Hive - What does it mean exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: York Revolution fanMicrobadge: Indianapolis Indians fanMicrobadge: Harrisburg Senators fanMicrobadge: Baltimore Orioles fanMicrobadge: D ixviqzj yjsk xujzy, gij ggr O buz rgy onon gczyuhk sdixjhgymk. Ikgo!
Take it in the strictest sense. The Ladybug MUST jump on top of an adjacent tile, then jump to another adjacent tile, then jump off the second tile into an empty space.

Moving around the hive would mean that it cannot fulfill the movement requirements of jumping on top of another tile.

There is a great video showing a perfect example by the designer himself. I will post the link if I can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
Microbadge: Twitter userMicrobadge: Speedskating fanMicrobadge: These pretzels are making me thirstyMicrobadge: Cycling fanMicrobadge: Facebook user
Strickhouser wrote:
Take it in the strictest sense. The Ladybug MUST jump on top of an adjacent tile, then jump to another adjacent tile, then jump off the second tile into an empty space.

Moving around the hive would mean that it cannot fulfill the movement requirements of jumping on top of another tile.

There is a great video showing a perfect example by the designer himself. I will post the link if I can find it.
This one?

http://vimeo.com/19761551
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: York Revolution fanMicrobadge: Indianapolis Indians fanMicrobadge: Harrisburg Senators fanMicrobadge: Baltimore Orioles fanMicrobadge: D ixviqzj yjsk xujzy, gij ggr O buz rgy onon gczyuhk sdixjhgymk. Ikgo!
Quote:
Yep...just dug that up too. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Koch
United States
California
flag msg tools
Rule paradox, please help!!
My friend and I had a VERY unlikely situation, You will just have to take my word for it. On his fourth move where you have to place the bee he had no legal way of doing so because the pieces had moved in such a way where any place for the bee would have to border one of my pieces and when placing a new piece the rules forbid it bordering an opponent's piece. Any placement of the queen bee would have been illegal. We just agreed to make a rule for us where one player cannot make any move that prevents opponent from legally placing the queen bee.

What is the official rule? as unlikely as it is it is still theoretically possible so some solution should have been written into the rules.

Maybe the rule could be like chess? no legal move on turn equal draw?

Or like most board games no legal move on turn is loss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Jacobs
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Please stop effin' with the effin' Spider!Microbadge: Vampire: The Eternal Struggle fanMicrobadge: Talisman fanMicrobadge: Judo fan
I think the rule is that in case a player cannot make a legal move, the opponent can make another move.

In your example that would mean that your friend had to wait for you to make another move and another after that until your friend could move again. This would of course lead to an enormous advantage.

When your friend could move again, that would still be his fourth move, so it wouldn't be inconsistent.

H

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Hive: The Pillbug fanMicrobadge: Army of Frogs fanMicrobadge: Hive: The Ladybug fan
wordracer wrote:
My friend and I had a VERY unlikely situation, You will just have to take my word for it. On his fourth move where you have to place the bee he had no legal way of doing so because the pieces had moved in such a way where any place for the bee would have to border one of my pieces and when placing a new piece the rules forbid it bordering an opponent's piece. Any placement of the queen bee would have been illegal. We just agreed to make a rule for us where one player cannot make any move that prevents opponent from legally placing the queen bee.

What is the official rule? as unlikely as it is it is still theoretically possible so some solution should have been written into the rules.

Hi Robert

The situation you have described: Not being able to place your Queen bee, is not possible.
Ether your friend missed a turn by accident or you moved one of your pieces illegally, by accident, maybe moving a Beetle three spaces instead of only one.
There is no situation where this could happen legally.

Yes you can get a situation where you can nether move a piece or add a piece, but you never get a situation where you cannot add your Queen Bee.
In the situation where you can nether move a piece or add a piece, you pass and your opponent plays again.
This will in most cases lead to a loss but there are still games where this is not the case and a game is pulled back from the brink.

Hope this helps
Regards
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L DeRuit
msg tools
Gen Four Two wrote:
wordracer wrote:

Hi Robert

The situation you have described: Not being able to place your Queen bee, is not possible.
Ether your friend missed a turn by accident or you moved one of your pieces illegally, by accident, maybe moving a Beetle three spaces instead of only one.
There is no situation where this could happen legally.

Yes you can get a situation where you can nether move a piece or add a piece, but you never get a situation where you cannot add your Queen Bee.
In the situation where you can nether move a piece or add a piece, you pass and your opponent plays again.
This will in most cases lead to a loss but there are still games where this is not the case and a game is pulled back from the brink.

Hope this helps
Regards
John

John,

There is one...

Player A: Plays grasshopper (or anything but the bee).
Player B: Plays a beetle.
Player A: Plays a beetle.
Player B: Covers Player A's grasshopper.
Player A: Covers Player B's beetle covering the grasshopper.
Player B: Can't do anything indefinitely.
Player A: Plays bee on fourth turn, then plays all other pieces in a line trying to reach opponent's unplayed bee. hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
Microbadge: AH LCG - The MysticMicrobadge: Japan International Gamers Guild memberMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: GameNight! fanMicrobadge: World Traveller
hermit7000 wrote:

John,

There is one...

Player A: Plays grasshopper (or anything but the bee).
Player B: Plays a beetle.
Player A: Plays a beetle.
Player B: Covers Player A's grasshopper.
Player A: Covers Player B's beetle covering the grasshopper.
Player B: Can't do anything indefinitely.
Player A: Plays bee on fourth turn, then plays all other pieces in a line trying to reach opponent's unplayed bee. hahaha

*sigh*

You can't move any piece in the beginning if your queen isn't on the table.

so Player B's move of "Cover Player A's grasshopper" is illegal. As well as Player A's following move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls