15 Posts

Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: 3 special rules! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Harley fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors: Napoleonics fanMicrobadge: New Orleans Saints fanMicrobadge: Level 07 BGG poster
May I propose you 3 home rules that may beautify the game:

1) The Infantery can move 2 hexes without firing!

2) A General attached to Cavalry will not only allow to take ground but to pursuit: to make a second attack (without moving). But he does not makes the unit ignore the flags anymore (offensive advantages only)! A General attached to Infantry stick to the official rules (offensive & defensive advantages)! A General attached to Artillery only makes the unit ignore all the flags (defensive advantage only).

3) Any unit on a hill can fire over anything unless the obstacle is closer to the target than to the firing unit!

Simple & efficient!

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a whileMicrobadge: Christian
May I propose you the Variant forum that may beautify the general forums?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Grateful Dead fanMicrobadge: Great Battles of History fanMicrobadge: Star Fleet Battles fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Fantasy Battle fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4X fan
just out of curiosity... what is it about BC150 you don't care for that has lead to these variants?

Quote:
i don't know about this one. you have just turned infrantry into Horse Artillery!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I track all my games playedMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: I write comments on my 'Record a Play'Microbadge: I avoid KickstarterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
Cracky wrote:
Quote:
i don't know about this one. you have just turned infrantry into Horse Artillery!

Or they could just be "foot cavalry".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Grateful Dead fanMicrobadge: Great Battles of History fanMicrobadge: Star Fleet Battles fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Fantasy Battle fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4X fan
i like it. Gen. Jackson's Foot Cavalry raised hell during the Valley Campaign. Maybe a good variant for those scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I track all my games playedMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: I write comments on my 'Record a Play'Microbadge: I avoid KickstarterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
As for why there might/should be a 2-move option, coming from Memoir 44 into BC (yes, yes, going back in time ), having now played 60 plays (double-header of each of the 30 scenarios), at times the one space move did bother me a bit. Especially if there is terrain in the center blocking LOS, the early part can feel a bit draggish, with troops crawling along, not being able to shoot in any case, when in M44 you'd take the 2 move + no attack option to get close fast in that situation. But then again, it could be that there are skirmishers in front of the troops and they are driving them back, slowing their advance. Also, there are almost no objective hexes in BC, so quick-rushing onto a particular hex doesn't net you flags like in M44, so from that POV, moving two spaces isn't missed perhaps as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
Also, there are almost no objective hexes in BC, so quick-rushing onto a particular hex doesn't net you flags like in M44, so from that POV, moving two spaces isn't missed perhaps as much.
you sure about this? there are definitely scenarios in BC150 that have objective hexes. i haven't played Mem'44 i can't really compare BC150 to it.

to me, the pace of BC150 fits it's war really well. i assume the forces in the game are in "line of battle" and are slowly moving towards each other. They're not going to be as dynamic as squads of WWII soldiers.

But, whatever makes the game better for you is probably how you should play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Surfing fanMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game fanMicrobadge: Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition fanMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
Maybe give those firing on infantry that just double moved (which, BTW, there is a card for).. maybe give those firing on them an extra die since they are obviously moving in a column which would increase the effectiveness of firing into them... but now we're losing the simple grace of the game.

... plus marching them around at 2 hexes at a time will wear them out.

I'd say it makes more sense to add an extra movement card that does this. Or a unit of elites that can do this.. or a scenario specific thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Harley fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors: Napoleonics fanMicrobadge: New Orleans Saints fanMicrobadge: Level 07 BGG poster
Yop it was just our home rules ... I admit it should be something between 1 and 2 hexes. Something is also strange with thoses inf/art ranges! About the speed in march formation, I admit 2 hexes is maybe too fast: the civil war inf. units beeing slow to move without breaking the lines ... just seaching solution or playing the official rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors: Napoleonics fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fanMicrobadge: Battle Cry fanMicrobadge: Samurai Battles fan
Dam the Man wrote:
As for why there might/should be a 2-move option, coming from Memoir 44 into BC (yes, yes, going back in time ), having now played 60 plays (double-header of each of the 30 scenarios), at times the one space move did bother me a bit. Especially if there is terrain in the center blocking LOS, the early part can feel a bit draggish, with troops crawling along, not being able to shoot in any case, when in M44 you'd take the 2 move + no attack option to get close fast in that situation. But then again, it could be that there are skirmishers in front of the troops and they are driving them back, slowing their advance. Also, there are almost no objective hexes in BC, so quick-rushing onto a particular hex doesn't net you flags like in M44, so from that POV, moving two spaces isn't missed perhaps as much.
I am sure the soldiers of the day were bothered by the terrain as well.

I think you are comparing oranges to pineapples.

Those who have been to the areas where Battle Cry scenarios take place know much of the terrain is impassible to down right difficult to traverse, even the open terrain. Also, I am sure comparing a Civil War infantryman to a WWII infantryman may yield significant differences as well.

I think one hex movement for infantry is spot on compared to the cavalry's three hex movement... Unless this is going to be extended to six hexes of movement... Then artillery will need to be stepped up to two hexes of movement as well. Then you'll find the sections are too small... Hmmmm

I agree with Brian that this thread should be in the variants section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Cracky wrote:
you sure about this? there are definitely scenarios in BC150 that have objective hexes. i haven't played Mem'44 i can't really compare BC150 to it.
Alright, after checking, almost no objective hexes was a bit of an understatement, 8 of 30 scenarios have them, but I might be spoiled by M44 where it seems scenarios have objective hexes or other changes to the victory conditions (sudden death, certain units worth two flags).

However, given the 1-move for infantry, by the time you're close to the objective hex in BC (Shiloh for example has the Union baseline as objective for Confederates), you've very likely achieved the flag count needed to win. Cavalry strikes of course can reach those hexes.

Quote:
I think one hex movement for infantry is spot on compared to the cavalry's three hex movement... Unless this is going to be extended to six hexes of movement... Then artillery will need to be stepped up to two hexes of movement as well. Then you'll find the sections are too small... Hmmmm
I know they are different animals, but M44 functions fine with Armor moving 0-3, infantry 0-2 (no attack if move 2, unless special forces) and arti 0-1 (no attack if moves).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
Sorry if posted in the wrong section!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Couple of additions that came to mind. First is that a number of those BC scenarios with objective hexes seem to require the unit to be in the hex at the start of the turn, so just reaching it on your turn isn't enough, you have to survive without retreating for the opponent's turn before you get a flag. Killing for flags is just easier.

Secondly, dug out M44 today and played one of the base game scenarios that had been skipped. On turn 2, Axis infantry unit captured an objective hex one away from the Allied baseline, crossing the board with two double moves, then attacking to take ground for a total of 5 spaces moved in two turns. Alright, so it was a special forces unit (can move 0-2 and battle), but it was just the sort of speed and movement that BC doesn't see. Not only do you need a General attached to take ground, barring double Forced Marches it would take 4-5 turns to do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Microbadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: 2020 Ultimate SupporterMicrobadge: 2020 Herculean Supporter
Moved to Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davis Stringer
United States
Terry
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Mississippi State UniversityMicrobadge: Down in Flames fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: 1066, Tears to Many Mothers fan
Dam the Man wrote:
Couple of additions that came to mind. First is that a number of those BC scenarios with objective hexes seem to require the unit to be in the hex at the start of the turn, so just reaching it on your turn isn't enough, you have to survive without retreating for the opponent's turn before you get a flag. Killing for flags is just easier.

Secondly, dug out M44 today and played one of the base game scenarios that had been skipped. On turn 2, Axis infantry unit captured an objective hex one away from the Allied baseline, crossing the board with two double moves, then attacking to take ground for a total of 5 spaces moved in two turns. Alright, so it was a special forces unit (can move 0-2 and battle), but it was just the sort of speed and movement that BC doesn't see. Not only do you need a General attached to take ground, barring double Forced Marches it would take 4-5 turns to do the same.
For BC we play with the Infantry moving two spaces if it doesn't attack. However, it has two conditions. The moving unit may not end adjacent to an enemy unit. It also may not be what we call "under fire" at the start of its activation:

Under Fire: When an enemy unit has LOS to a hex containing a friendly unit which is also within range of that enemy unit.

Within Range: When a friendly unit has LOS to a hex containing an enemy unit that falls within its maximum range, even if it would not be able to roll any battle dice against the enemy unit due to terrain restrictions or any other penalties or limitations.

We have found that this allows battles to develop more fully, the lack of which was a flaw in this game IMHO. But giving these limitations also keeps infantry from just flying across the battle field under fire which they did not accomplish to well.

I should note, however, that we also play with the rule that sabers do not count as hits unless belligerents are adjacent. In our view this doesn't not necessarily reflect "hand-to-hand" combat but rather is just how deadly these exchanges wear, especially when they ended up under 100 yards distant from each other.

For an excellent account of this deadly close up battle, enjoy this first person experience from one Ohio soldier at the Battle of Raymond here in Mississippi:

http://mshistory.k12.ms.us/articles/213/a-union-soldiers-vie...

Note, that even in this account, the use of the bayonet seems to be something that was considered somewhat unusual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls