Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
Microbadge: Battle Beyond Space fanMicrobadge: Battle Beyond Space fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Fortress Ameritrash fan
The rules for splitting up multi-figure combat are a little baffling. The rules imply that you activate each model independently, and yet these rules imply some sort of splitting happens.

In parentheses, I'm including my guesses.

1. Is the only effect of multiple figures to determine if one unit suffers the 1-die outnumbered drop? (Yes?)
2. Is the splitting of units determined at the instant of each attack. (Yes?)
3. If there are multiple ways to split that are equally "fair", who decides? (Attacker for both normal and Free attacks?)

I had one more question:
1. Who determines which rear hex the target of a Shield Bash is forced into (Attacker/Dwarf?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n Mzi
Belgium
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Python programmerMicrobadge: Vim userMicrobadge: Zombicide fanMicrobadge: xkcd fanMicrobadge: Linguist
1. If I have understood well, yes
2. Yes
3. You do not have to be fair: the attacker decides (see ex. p. 8)

Shield Bash
The way the rule is written strongly suggest that the dwarf decides, but it should have been stated accurately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Late to the party, but this is the section of the rules that gave me the most trouble. Actually, it's the only part that gave me trouble - I've read it multiple times, only to think "what?".

Could someone perhaps give an alternative explanation or model for what's going on here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: There Will Be Games fanMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Computer ProgrammerMicrobadge: Miniature Painter
1. No - outnumbering is one of the reasons, but the other is to determine which models in the ruck are legally allowed to attack each other.

Example:
DSDS
Let's say it's the dwarf player's turn, and both his dwarfs are facing the leftmost skeleton (which is facing the leftmost dwarf), with the rightmost skeleton facing the rightmost dwarf's back. There is only one legal way to split this ruck - pairing the leftmost and rightmost opponents together.

Because of the splitting rules, we get the following outcomes:
a) The left dwarf cannot claim the outnumbering penalty from his mate, even though he is "facing" the skeleton.
b) The right dwarf cannot even attack the left skeleton, because it violates the splitting of the ruck. If he wants to attack at all, he must first spin around and then attack the right skeleton, being the only legal opponent for him.

Sounds a bit odd, but I've heard that it has been purposefully designed this way. Apparently this is where a lot of the strategy for DKH comes in, and makes you think twice about precisely where to place your models when joining an ongoing fight.

I hope I've explained it satisfactorily. Jake Thornton himself discusses this aspect of the game design on the Mantic forums.

2. Yes.
3. Yes, the attacker (both normal and free attacks) chooses how to split the ruck. Note that a model that could not legally attack the model breaking off under normal circumstances would not be allowed a free attack either.

And yes, the shield basher chooses the square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls