Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Best Single-Deck Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've acquired a lot of the means to try making my own cards, so I thought I'd give it a go, but I'm wondering what's worth making that's only a deck of cards.

I've already got a Decktet, so that's out. I'm looking at making a copy of Utopian Rummy and a Railways of Mexico deck. What else is worth making?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mightygodking wrote:
I've acquired a lot of the means to try making my own cards, so I thought I'd give it a go, but I'm wondering what's worth making that's only a deck of cards.

I've already got a Decktet, so that's out. I'm looking at making a copy of Utopian Rummy and a Railways of Mexico deck. What else is worth making?
You mean a game that is comprised of only cards, or a game that is comprised of one single deck of cards (meaning 54 cards)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wylde_karde wrote:
You mean a game that is comprised of only cards, or a game that is comprised of one single deck of cards (meaning 54 cards)?
The former, although less cards will obviously be less work. But I'm most concerned about taking time to make good games, so I'd rather spend time making one large deck for a great game than two smaller decks for mediocre ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Tails fanMicrobadge: Donatello - The Turtles' Creative GeniusMicrobadge: Chrono Trigger fanMicrobadge: Final Fantasy Tactics fanMicrobadge: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door fan
I plan to print off Ragnarök: Aesir and Jötunn (as well as the Decktet) the next time there is a good Artscow sale. The game requires tokens and dice, but the only components you need to construct are the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rainbow Deck might be worth a look. Rage and Sticheln decks are also useful for their multi-game flexibility.

Folks here have also made amazing rethemes of commercially available games, like For Sale - A New Hope, Medici, No Thanks!, and Biblios, assuming that you have the original. (These games all require some additional pieces, but they're easy to scavenge from elsewhere.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
Microbadge: I tried to assemble the Utopia Engine!Microbadge: Spirits of the Wild fanMicrobadge: I love ArizonaMicrobadge: Earthbound fanMicrobadge: Earthbound fan - Working through the night Jeff fixed the Broken Bazooka. After being fixed, the Broken bazooka became the Heavy Bazooka.
I also have to agree with Utopian Rummy and Ragnarök: Aesir and Jötunn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love New OrleansMicrobadge: Tulane UniversityMicrobadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: Guy Gavriel Kay fanMicrobadge: Meat eater
Untamed: A Rummy Revolution is a great two-player rummy game. It's got lot's of room for clever play and has some moments with very tough decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls