Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Royek
United States
Cochranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Greetings,
I have a Polish forces addon for Europe 1940, concerning the Polish forces that escaped from Poland in late September, 1939 that escaped to France to reform a Polish Army in France. The Polish government refused to surrender to Germany in 1939 by escaping into exile in Romania. In June 1940, when the game takes place, the Polish Army in France is fighting alongside the French and is evacuating to Britain.

As someone of Polish descent, I refuse to recognize the illegal annexation of Poland by Germany and the USSR, which is why on this map, I made with Photoshop,the Polish pre-war territories are listed with a Polish marker. Poland's home armies, did surrender, yes, but they kept on fighting in 1940.
303 Polish squadron was the highest scoring RAF fighter squadron in the Battle of Britain. The Poles are among the most experienced pilots in the RAF. Many Polish pilots escaped to Britain to form a Polish air force in Great Britain. The Polish and British governments signed an agreement to allow Polish pilots into the RAF to fight alongside the British RAF on June 11, 1940.

The Polish government's crossing into Romania prevented Poland from having to officially surrender, and allowed Polish soldiers to carry on fighting against Nazi Germany, though Rydz's flight sparked some controversy, considering his position as supreme commander of the armed forces. Large numbers of Polish soldiers and airmen escaped into southern Europe and regrouped in France, and after her surrender, in Britain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Rydz-%C5%9Amig%C5%82y
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_Polish_Fighter_Squadron
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Air_Forces_in_France_and...

Most of the Polish Navy escaped to Britain,[10] and tens of thousands of Polish soldiers and airmen escaped through Hungary and Romania or across the Baltic Sea to continue the fight in France.
Even after the fall of Poland, and before the Soviet Union's entry into the war, Poland remained the third strongest Allied belligerent, after France and Britain. (Other Polish military units, formed in the Soviet Union after Hitler's invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_government-in-exile

Well, anyway. To follow along with history, Poland's home territories will be occupied by Germany and the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union is an ally of Poland. According to the 1940 Europe rulebook, any territories owned by a friendly player, while the player whose capital is in enemy hand's capital is captured, belong to that player. The German player places a German control over the territories of Danzig and Malopolskie. Malopolskie means Lower Poland and is the original name for the territory where Warsaw would be on the map of Poland.

The Polish territories of Lwow, Lublin, and Wilno belong to the Soviet Union. The Soviet player places a Soviet control marker over these territories to indicate Soviet control.

I gave the Urals a 3 because I was sick of the fact that you couldn't build and industrial complex there. the Russians relocated their industries to the Urals after the German invasion in 1941. to reflect this fact, I made the Urals have the ability to have a major industrial complex. The Caucasus was the major source of Russia's oil and the territory having a value of 1 just doesn't do it justice in my opinion, so I gave it a "3" to reflect the new Soviet industry. Ploesti is a victory city because Ploesti was the source of Germany's oil industrial during World War II from the Astra Romana oil refinery in 1941 where Germany took Romania to supply over 60% of its military forces. I added Stavropol because Stavropol is a big regional center in the Caucasus along with Krasnodar Krai and the other territories of the Caucasus. Stavropol is an important crossroads in Southern Russia, so I added Stavropol. More people will recognize Stavropol than Voroshilovsk, the name of Stavropol in 1940. So, I call it Stavropol.

I gave Libya a value of "2" because Libya was a valuable colony for Italy in World War II. They were searching for oil in 1940, but the hostile terrain and the primitive equipment the Italians use meant that they did not easily extract it. But what if they had it? What if that oil could be used for Italy's war effort? We'll explore that possibility. Libya was really valuable to Italy, so it should deserve a 2 like Egypt does for Great Britain. I decided to balance the two out.

http://books.google.com/books?id=bepGPEkbL34C&pg=PA190&lpg=P...

As such, Ploesti was a vital target for the Allied bombers in World War II.

Well, anyway to get this new map featuring the Polish territories seized by Germany and Russia in September, 1939, just right click and download the file. Print it out for your own enjoyment.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20178232/Axis+%26+Allies+Euro...
This game DOES NOT take place in 1939, but in 1940.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20178285/Axis+%26+Allies+Euro...
Download the map here and just print it out.
The new game setup shall be 2 Inf. 1 Armor, Germany for Malopolskie, 1 Inf. 3 Tanks for Danzig and I Naval Base.

Soviet Union
1 Infantry, 1 Armor for Lwow. Wilno, 1 Infantry, Lublin, 2 Infantry.

Great Britain
Malta
1 Fighter, 1 Infantry, 1 Naval Base, 1 Submarine
Italy
Sicily
1 Bomber, 1 Infantry, 1 Air Base, 1 Fighter

One of the first things Mussolini did was attack Malta with bombers in June, 1940. To simulate this, I have stationed 1 Bomber on Sicily to simulate the constant Italian air force raids against Malta.

I was tired of Malta being undefended by anybody, when in fact it was the fortress of the Mediterranean and was awarded the George Cross for its heroism. Would Churchill have allowed Malta to be undefended like that? OF COURSE NOT!
So, I gave Malta some defenses.
Is it copyright infringement? If so, say so now.
I gave Tobruk some value because it was valuable as a fortress for the British and the Australians. Because of Tobruk's psychological value, I gave it a "1" for its defenses.

Crimea "1 Infantry, 1 Armor" Soviet Union, 1 Naval base to represent the Black Sea fleet that was a huge war-winner to the Soviet Union that contributed to the defense during the seige of Sevastopol from 1941-42.

Zone 125: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport, 1 Cruiser
Zone 128: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport.

NEW IPC BONUSES.

"Germany will receive a 5 IPC bonus for holding Romania because of its strategic Ploesti oil reserves that were highly important to the German war effort in World War II.
Germany depended on Ploesti for over 60% of its oil.

Soviet Union.
Soviet Union will receive a 5 IPC bonus for owning the Caucasus strategic oil reserves, that were vital to their economy as well. The Caucasus oil fields of Azerbaijan were vital to the Soviet war economy.

New Sea Zone
Caspian Sea is Sea Zone 128. The Caspian Sea was a supply route for supplies coming up from Iran to the Soviet Union. The Allies would use the Caspian Sea as a supply route for their Lend Lease military equipment going north into Caspian Sea ports.

Added a convoy box to Libya because the Italians had convoys that ran to Malta and the British launched unrestricted submarine warfare against Italian convoys, which severely limited Rommel's convoys and helped the British win North Africa by denying the Axis their supplies to sustain their armies. The denial of supplies helped the British greatly. Over 50% of Axis supplies were sunk by British submarines operating from Malta against Axis convoys.

So, I added a convoy box there.

Be sure to buy the Polish pieces from http://www.historicalboardgaming.com. and look in painted armies for Polish pieces. You'll find them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
Microbadge: Vassal playerMicrobadge: My responses may be delayed.Microbadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: I train my kid to become a wargamerMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
You might want to post your variant under the correct game:

Axis & Allies Europe 1940

The forum you chose is not a general A&A forum; it is dedicated to the old Milton Bradley edition.

Perhaps one of the admins can move it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Royek
United States
Cochranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, please move it to that section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Microbadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: 2020 Ultimate SupporterMicrobadge: 2020 Herculean Supporter
Moved to A&A:E1940 Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls