Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Company-Platoon scale wargames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diego Pérez
Spain
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wargamer - WW2Microbadge: EastFront fanMicrobadge: I love Spain
Bests company or platoon scale wargames of IIWW-modern-early fututrist?. Pleasy only classic mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
Microbadge: Golden Image UploaderMicrobadge: Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001-? fanMicrobadge: ConsimWorldMicrobadge: CoolStuff Inc fanMicrobadge: Abe Vigoda - patron saint of wargamer requests
Take a look at Nations at War: White Star Rising and the World at War Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
Microbadge: CaliforniaMicrobadge: Interested in Language(s)Microbadge: VGG: Strategy genre fanMicrobadge: VGG BloggerMicrobadge: Minnesota
See this GeekList.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
diegoperez wrote:
Bests company or platoon scale wargames of IIWW-modern-early fututrist?. Pleasy only classic mechanism.
Based on your collection you would like the TCS series. WWII & Eastern front themes good tactical detail, different than ASL but up there on the enjoyment/realism quotient. GD42 Black Wednesday to name a few.
For futurist - WaW is wonderful - company level fast playing and action packed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Nosferatu movie fanMicrobadge: Stalker movie fanMicrobadge: Cyberdyne SystemsMicrobadge: Blade Runner fanMicrobadge: Logan's Run fan
diegoperez wrote:
Look at the P-500 game Nuklear Winter '68, from Lock 'n Load Publishing, LLC..
It's all in one: WW2, Modern and Futuristic (SciFi-Horror).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: I play with Yellow!Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Solitaire WargamerMicrobadge: COIN fan
Don't forget the solo gem D-Day at Omaha Beach, it's company level!

At the platoon level, there's TCS like another mentioned and I highly recommend, but also the modular PanzerBlitz, as well as the upcoming Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division. Can't go wrong at this scale! I personally find squad scale feels too irrelevent, but this is a good scale and can really capture the feel of the battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Fasulo
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Clash of Arms fanMicrobadge: La Bataille de ... series fanMicrobadge: Origins attendeeMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010
I am biased as the designer of Death Ride Kursk - Gross Deutschland and 3Panzer, coming soon 11Pz. The entire XLVIII Pz Korps and company (Red Army)and platoon (German) level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
konsum24 wrote:
diegoperez wrote:
Look at the P-500 game Nuklear Winter '68, from Lock 'n Load Publishing, LLC..
It's all in one: WW2, Modern and Futuristic (SciFi-Horror).
Yeah great choice - similar systems as WaW too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ years
The Panzer Grenadier series from Avalanche Press is platoon level, and pretty easy to get into. There are quite a few of them covering different time periods, and theaters. It all depends on what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
Microbadge: Birds of Prey: Air Combat in the Jet Age fanMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Fastaval attendeeMicrobadge: Bastard Café - Board Games & Coffee - CopenhagenMicrobadge: Seahawks fan: Eye on Another Ring
MBT (first edition) Cold-war-turned-hot platoon level, or actually a step below that, with individual vehicles and squads/teams
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mark Herman fanMicrobadge: Bertrand RussellMicrobadge: Astronomy enthusiastMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: I love all games!
Second for Panzer Grenadier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Best platoon level series for my tastes are still

* the Tank Leader series, Eastern Front Tank Leader, Western Front Tank Leader, Desert Steel, though they are out of print (but not too hard to find). These three boxes basically cover all of WWII in Europe and North Africa (which would require many more Panzer Grenadier boxes). These come with generic, geomorphic maps and scenarios on different battles.

* TCS, as mentioned by others. These games come with historical maps, OOBs and scenarios for specific battles. GD '42 and Bloody Ridge are the most recent ones.

I have played Panzergrenadier but found it a bit bland and slow, and its command system, while interesting, does not correspond to the real world fixed hierarchy at all, as leaders can grab any close-by units and fight with them. I'm willing to accept that at squad level but at platoon level it feels strange. Nations at War: White Star Rising has the historical fixed organisation but combat is a crapshoot where armor plays little role, and it rewards questionable tactics (you frequently see heavily armored tanks taken out at ranges at which they would have been essentially immune historically, and the best way to take out tanks in the open is to have infantry cross the open ground and assault them; they don't need bazookas for that, mind you. They have at least fixed the initial rule that made medium mortars the most feared tank killers in the game).

At company level, little around. The two best-regarded would be

* Panzer Command (hard to find) and its much-later descendant, The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen (huge in size, also OOP and quite expensive).

* D-Day at Omaha Beach, an excellent solitaire game whose system was used again in the slightly smaller Operation Jubilee: Dieppe, August 1942

For modern topics, there are 2-3 options:

* October War: Doctrine and Tactics in the Yom Kippur Conflict, probably SPI's best modern platoon level game; I still play it and like it. It has some predecessors that are a bit more laborious to play.

* The Assault Series, pretty comprehensive and with good command rules and fog of war, but rules heavy and old and long OOP. You may want to look for The Sands of War as a less complex version that covers the last 70 years of Middle East warfare on about 15 maps with lots of scenarios.

* The World at War Series, the ancestor of White Star Rising mentioned above. I haven't played it but it seems to have been well received; I think the bits that I found to be flaws in WSR make more sense in a modern setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ years
M St wrote:

I have played Panzergrenadier but found it a bit bland and slow, and its command system, while interesting, does not correspond to the real world fixed hierarchy at all, as leaders can grab any close-by units and fight with them. I'm willing to accept that at squad level but at platoon level it feels strange.
Agree on this to a point. I'm working on a variant rule that mods the leaders, and speeds play a bit, without totally getting rid of them.

M St wrote:

* October War: Doctrine and Tactics in the Yom Kippur Conflict, probably SPI's best modern platoon level game; I still play it and like it. It has some predecessors that are a bit more laborious to play.

* The Assault Series, pretty comprehensive and with good command rules and fog of war, but rules heavy and old and long OOP. You may want to look for The Sands of War as a less complex version that covers the last 70 years of Middle East warfare on about 15 maps with lots of scenarios.
I didn't mention these because they are long out of print and hard to find. But if you can find them they are worth picking up.

GDW also put out a series of simpler platoon level combat games, covering both WWII and modern (80s) combat under the First Battle series. WWII was covered in Blood and Thunder, while more modern topics were covered in The Sands of War, Team Yankee and Battlefield Europe. The system was simpler than the Assault series and was a fresh approach to PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader, the Arab Israeli Wars, and the numerous SPI tactical titles. These are also long gone, but worthy of acquisition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper GeeklisterMicrobadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Band of Brothers fan
Another strong recommendation for the Tank Leader series. They were designed by John Hill of Squad Leader fame, and I think they are actually a better series. The downside is that WEG did not do a good job with the maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mark Herman fanMicrobadge: Bertrand RussellMicrobadge: Astronomy enthusiastMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: I love all games!
seanmac wrote:
Another strong recommendation for the Tank Leader series. They were designed by John Hill of Squad Leader fame, and I think they are actually a better series. The downside is that WEG did not do a good job with the maps.
Or the counters...which were unusually thin. Good game system though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
SimGuy wrote:
M St wrote:

I have played Panzergrenadier but found it a bit bland and slow, and its command system, while interesting, does not correspond to the real world fixed hierarchy at all, as leaders can grab any close-by units and fight with them. I'm willing to accept that at squad level but at platoon level it feels strange.
Agree on this to a point. I'm working on a variant rule that mods the leaders, and speeds play a bit, without totally getting rid of them.

M St wrote:

I didn't mention these because they are long out of print and hard to find. But if you can find them they are worth picking up.

GDW also put out a series of simpler platoon level combat games, covering both WWII and modern (80s) combat under the First Battle series. WWII was covered in Blood and Thunder, while more modern topics were covered in The Sands of War, Team Yankee and Battlefield Europe. The system was simpler than the Assault series and was a fresh approach to PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader, the Arab Israeli Wars, and the numerous SPI tactical titles. These are also long gone, but worthy of acquisition.
If we are going old school. Then Firefight is a solid choice. Cityfight might be too small scale but a good game. very detailed tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls