Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
Microbadge: EconomistMicrobadge: Game TheoryMicrobadge: Statistics fanMicrobadge: Aleph-0 - I'm a countable infinity!Microbadge: Math Geek
Hi there,

I was readin the rules to the expansion (battles of the third age) and it appears that the stacking limit of 5 (in the expansion minigame, 10 in the original), only refers to army units (regular and elite), not to officers and characters.

I reread the original rulebook as I hadn't understood it this way. The rulebook is not perfectly clear here as it introduces the 10 limit before mentionning the distinction between army units and officers. Also, it always refers specifically to army units afterwards and not just to units as in the stacking limit rule. However, when mentionning sieges, it it explicitly mentionned that the 5 unit limit for assieged fortresses concerns only army units and that you can have as many officers as you want...

So I guess the way I understand this now is you can always have no more than 10 ARMY units on any region + any number of officers and characters. This drops to 5 if in an assieged fortress.

Is that second understanding the correct one?

(ps: my rulebook is french so perhaps it's the translation that's not perfectly clear).

Also when choosing units to lose in a battle, you are not allowed to choose an officer right? The officer dies only if every army unit dies before right?

And finally, because Nazguls don't need an army to be sustained, can they be attacked? Same question for other characters (Pippin, Aragorn...)? If they CAN be, I assume they don't get to throw a dice as Nasguls and most characters don't have a combat value (other than Aragorn or those where it is mentionned)?

Finally, can a character claim a fortress or attack alone?

Thanks for all the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Battle of the Bulge iOS fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
I don't have the rulebook with me, but I'm pretty sure these are the correct answers:

Note: By the way, in the US printing they use the term "leaders"...my answers assume that's what you mean be "officers".

1. Stacking limits only apply to army units (not characters or officers/leaders). You can have as many characters and leaders there as you want.

2. Casualties always come from army units. You are correct - officers die if every army unit dies.

3. Nazgul and FP characters cannot be attacked if they are by themselves. The opposing army can move into their region, but nothing happens. However, if they are in a region with a friendly army and that region is attacked, they become part of the battle (and can therefore be killed if all of the army units are eliminated).

4. Characters cannot claim a fortress or attack alone...only army units can do these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: EconomistMicrobadge: Game TheoryMicrobadge: Statistics fanMicrobadge: Aleph-0 - I'm a countable infinity!Microbadge: Math Geek
Thanks!

Yes I was referring to leaders (at least I guess, I don't see what else my officers could be as it is said they lead the armies...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
I have an additional related question about characters in battle. If at the end of a battle, there is only one character left (no army units so no leaders either), is the battle finished and does the shadow player get the territory or does the SP need to continue battle and kill this last character before claiming the territory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
Microbadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Playtester / Prototype fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I support my local game shop
All of the Characters die when the last Army unit dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls