GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,973 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: WHAT TO TRADE? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
charles vera
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can anyone give me examples of how to trade with another player? Is there anything else you can trade thats not mentioned in the rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can trade only: points of trade, culture tokens, culture cards, resources and promises.

Example: in my last game I gave 5 points of trade to one guy and he gave me 3 culture tokens. It was good for both in that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The rulebook covers this, but in terms of HOW if effects the game itself...

I guess it depends on the situation.

In one game, for example, a German player was completely dominating in military and the game promised to be rather short if we couldn't shut him down. It looked like in the coming round or so, he was going to take a shot at the Egyptian player's home city, (since the Egyptian had been focusing on culture.) In exchange for the big pile of 6 culture they had accumulated from their incense factory (so that I myself could click up a couple of levels and get a great person), One player gave them enough trade to insure they could not only build a barracks (clicking in trade for hammers), but I also donated enough to help them unlock the tech that upgraded their cavalry units.

In other cases, I might trade an incense I don't need for a silk or a wheat I do (or vice-versa.)

In still other cases, I will make longer term agreements, such as an exchange of resources as part of a "non-agression treaty" etc.

To be clear, our first couple of games of this, we were so hyper-focused on just figuring the game out that we DIDN'T do much trading, but after a while it became apparent that the game itself is assymmetrical , and the trading phase allows the ability to create a bit of balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very oommon trade in our group is "you give me 2 trade now i will pay you 3 trade next turn.", his way both players do their research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.