GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Troyes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Paying for dice - where does the money go? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lauri L.
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

when I pay deniers for dice, do the deniers go
1) to the players "bank", so that he/she can use them on the current round
or
2) to the players district, from which player retrieves them at the end of the round?

Thanks!
Elegia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They go directly to the player (their "bank," as you put it) and are available for immediate use on their next action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player gets the money immediately into their 'bank'. They can then use that money to buy dice (or or do anything else that requires money) on their next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauri L.
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are so fast, thank you We are in the middle of round 3 atm!

Btw, if a place from the three basic buildings get freed from a player meeple, does the gray meeple fill it instantly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elegia wrote:

Btw, if a place from the three basic buildings get freed from a player meeple, does the gray meeple fill it instantly?

Not instantly but at the end of the round when meeples that are laying down are picked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasajara wrote:
Elegia wrote:

Not instantly but at the end of the round when meeples that are laying down are picked up.

Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Matt answered a different question, namely when do kicked out workers get returned.

If there's a hole in the basic buildings because someone removed a meeple, then *nothing* fills it until a specific action is taken later to do so. A player on a future turn uses a dice to put a new guy in, etc. Grey meeples would never fill in holes automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
tasajara wrote:
Elegia wrote:

Really?

Yes, I believe so. On the bottom of Page V regarding placing a citizen on a new card to activate it and you have no citizen there you can hire one, the rules state:

"The citizen must come either from your personal supply (if you don’t
have any, you must hire one for 2 Influence points - see Influence),
or from any location on the board (Activity cards, or the principal
buildings, or even expelled citizens lying on a building)."

Thus, if you remove one from a principal building it leaves an empty spot but it doesn't say anything about putting in a gray meeple.

At the end of the round when picking up the citizens that were expelled and lying down, we then place gray meeples (there isn't actually a rule for this, but it's easiest to remember then).

Technically, it should probably be done when 'assembling the workforce' but in either instance it doesn't matter as it's the same result and it isn't done 'instantly' as that was the question posed.

I'm curious as to what your interpretation is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I think Matt answered a different question, namely when do kicked out workers get returned.

If there's a hole in the basic buildings because someone removed a meeple, then *nothing* fills it until a specific action is taken later to do so. A player on a future turn uses a dice to put a new guy in, etc. Grey meeples would never fill in holes automatically.

I was answering the same question you are, perhaps not as clearly.

I curious as to when YOU do the refilling of the gray citizens, or maybe we've been doing it wrong and those spots just stay empty since there isn't actually a rule for it (thus, the dice aren't rolled for those empty spots)

I always assumed all 18 dice would always be available every round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasajara wrote:
I always assumed all 18 dice would always be available every round...

I don't see anything in the rules to guarantee that. The only time neutrals come into the game are in initial setup, and through event cards.

If a hole forms and the players and event cards don't fill it, I believe it stays empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This usually isn't an issue but it makes sense. Now I have to go play Troyes some more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was just curious about that ruling. I thought I had read that spaces can be open. Looking through the forums confirms this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5735050#5735050

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hermann
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
They go directly to the player (their "bank," as you put it) and are available for immediate use on their next action.

I found that in this video http://boardgamegeek.com/video/6137/troyes/avraw-68-troyes-l...
at 37:00 minutes in the video Lance is explaining that you have to pay the player to their district for their dice and that they do not get th money immediately. This doesn't seem right and I think John is probably correct, but I would like some clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manga3dmann wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

I found that in this video http://boardgamegeek.com/video/6137/troyes/avraw-68-troyes-l...
at 37:00 minutes in the video Lance is explaining that you have to pay the player to their district for their dice and that they do not get th money immediately. This doesn't seem right and I think John is probably correct, but I would like some clarification.

Directly from the rules:

Quote:
A die coming from the district of another player must be purchased from that player, who cannot refuse the transaction. Pay the bank to use the dice in the gray neutral player’s district. You don’t pay to use your own dice. After dice are used, they are discarded to the general supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hermann
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:
manga3dmann wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

Directly from the rules:

Quote:
A die coming from the district of another player must be purchased from that player, who cannot refuse the transaction. Pay the bank to use the dice in the gray neutral player’s district. You don’t pay to use your own dice. After dice are used, they are discarded to the general supply.

thanks but the question is. Can the player use the money that they just got immediately on their turn? The rules doesn't say whether they can or not just that they recieve money. Lance is under the impression that the player cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manga3dmann wrote:
dougbass68 wrote:
manga3dmann wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

Directly from the rules:

Quote:

thanks but the question is. Can the player use the money that they just got immediately on their turn? The rules doesn't say whether they can or not just that they recieve money. Lance is under the impression that the player cannot.

I see what you're asking now. I am not sure where Lance got that from. I firmly believe Jack is correct. If the rules do not state to place the money in the district, I wouldn't put it there I'd put it directly in their pocket, so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hermann
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:
I see what you're asking now. I am not sure where Lance got that from. I firmly believe Jack is correct. If the rules do not state to place the money in the district, I wouldn't put it there I'd put it directly in their pocket, so to speak.

Yeah, otherwise taking other people's dice seems too powerful and leaves a lot less to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game would be pretty broken if you had to wait a round to get the money from dice that were bought from you. Especially in the last round of the game.

That's one of the whole points of buying dice, weighing the cost of that player immediately using your cash to buy dice from others, maybe even yourself, before you get a chance to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Lance begin almost every video review saying that he will probably mis-represent at least one rule and that people should feel free to correct him (which in this case, they did)?

Edit:

This comment is not a knock on UndeadViking's reviews, which I think are great. But I'd hardly cite them as a meticulous representation of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this wrong last night too, later learning that the money is paid immediately. The rule is actually under the end of the round rules when it describes passing and placing 2 denier in the passing player's district. Then is when it describes the trigger for the end of round it says that player's take money from their district which will be there if they had passed earlier. Lacking any other rules stating putting money in districts, it seemed clear at that point the only time money goes into your district is from passing and subsequent skipping your turn while others continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The game would be pretty broken if you had to wait a round to get the money from dice that were bought from you. Especially in the last round of the game.

Sadly, I just played my first game and a certain friend had the exact same idea and I let him run that. That must clearly be why I finished last

Where'd they cook that up!?

So the only thing is that money from passing is put on the district (and makes no difference as you are already not going to spend anymore) to mark how long you have passed for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zubbus wrote:
So the only thing is that money from passing is put on the district (and makes no difference as you are already not going to spend anymore) to mark how long you have passed for.

Yup. It also makes a nice visual indicator as to who has passed already, which you can factor in to your action on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.