Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: [poll] A disturbing look at Game Acquisition Syndrome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
With the recent "how to hide games from your spouse" thread, and it's something we all joke about, I thought it would be good to do a poll. How bad is it really? I think we need to gauge based on the populace of the boardgame geek crowd.

Poll
1. What steps have you taken to hide your game purchases? (select all that apply)
Not be forthcoming
Started carrying a briefcase to work
Joined the orchestra to play upright bass or harp, but not actually doing it.
Did the "Hold at UPS/FedEx" to keep people from knowing.
Registered a post office box
Rent a storage shed
Scrub your bgg surfing from your browser
convince kids to 'be quiet' when they notice it.
threaten kids to 'be quiet' when they notice it.
made like a game has been on the shelf for quite some time.
had a friend ask where you got those "brown icehouse pieces"
2. How often in the last year have you resorted to doing any of the hiding?
Once
3-4
5-7
8-12
13-20
21+ times
3. Excuses used? (Select all that apply)
It's OOP!
What a deal!
I was afraid my old one would wear out!
This is a perfect game for [insert situation here]
I could get twice the price on [insert auction site here]
I was afraid of tsunami supply chain issues
I had to have the new edition!
I need this to complete my set!
It's for the kids!
4. Favorite excuse (pick one)
It's OOP!
What a deal!
I was afraid my old one would wear out!
This is a perfect game for [insert situation here]
I could get twice the price on [insert auction site here]
I was afraid of tsunami supply chain issues
I had to have the new edition!
I need this to complete my set!
It's for the kids!
5. Negative actions resulting from your GAS? (select all that apply)
Divorce
Car/House repossessed
Episode of hoarders based on my house
Can't find the cat
Known as "that guy" by friends and coworkers
Cable was disconnected 3 months ago and I never found-out.
Bought 2 of the same game because I couldn't find my old copy.
Spousal fight
People are afraid to come over.
People keep wanting to come over.
      127 answers
Poll created by bippi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
Microbadge: I play with pink!Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Geist - Plush CthulhuMicrobadge: Deep Games fanMicrobadge: 18xx fan
There are no "none of the above" on any of the poll items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie Fabian

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
Microbadge: LawyerMicrobadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fan - Shut the door!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Scythe fan
Luckily, my boyfriend can't say much. He plays Magic: the Gathering, or as I call it Crack: in Card Format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morganza wrote:
I think that says something about me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fanMicrobadge: Yaquinto fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
"Can't find the cat" occurs independently of game acquisition, especially in warm weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
I am more fiscally conservative than my husband, so that is and will never be a problem!!

I overthink and delay every game purchase. I have done some successful trades for the past 2 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Harry Potter fanMicrobadge: Ramen loverMicrobadge: Weightlifting fanMicrobadge: Audi fanMicrobadge: San Diego Chargers fan
Morganza wrote:
i agree. but, if there were, i'd choose those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Glen More fanMicrobadge: Silverton fanMicrobadge: New Jersey Devils fan
MWChapel wrote:
I tell mine that it was from a "trade".
And you're not even lying! It's not your fault she didn't ask what you traded, you would have freely told her you traded money for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tuba fanMicrobadge: RSP Dominionist (sympathizer)Microbadge: Taco de Mayo 2018 - I ate 31 tacos in 31 days!Microbadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Kiwanis
If you are looking for "none" you are in the wrong thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
superflypete wrote:
How come there's no options for:

1. None. I feel no need to hide things from my spouse.
2. 0
3. I need no excuses. I am not ashamed to make purchases.
4. Again, I need no excuses.
5. None. My wife plays the games I bring home.

Thumbing morganza is also acceptable.

But I'm glad you're proud of yourself there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ years
My wife is too observant.

But she too has an acquisition addiction: Tea Cups.
From gallery of SimGuy

So we have a deal: One game - one tea cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
Microbadge: Bee and Puppycat fanMicrobadge: I Adventure with FinnMicrobadge: Bee and Puppycat fanMicrobadge: I Adventure with JakeMicrobadge: Bravest Warriors fan
bippi wrote:
Morganza wrote:
I think that says something about me.
It means you need more SCIENCE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dvorak Keyboard userMicrobadge: Cincinnati Bengals fanMicrobadge: Cincinnati Bengals fanMicrobadge: I play nudeMicrobadge: I throw out useless box inserts
I don't feel bad about my purchases, I just don't necessarily volunteer them (just as she won't necessarily tell me if she goes clothes shopping), though I'll often mention I've got an order in passing.

I have used the (legitimate) "I've got an Amazon gift card" deal, and I often use the "Trying to find that magic bullet gateway game" kerfuffle.

I do feel a touch sheepish getting a delivery when there are plenty on my shelves that haven't gotten much play (though I do make sure to play everything once) but, what are you going to do? It's a collection and I'm keeping the games in part to have for some point in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not proud here.

So the borders half-off coupon comes in. I say to my wife, "I'm gonna get gammaworld, it's going to be awesome with my little with bbbs..."

I go to borders, and I see settlers of catan. A half-off coupon and you don't buy a mayfair game, especially one in the holy trinity of gateway games?! Unheard of!

So gammaworld is out, settlers of catan is in.

The next day I was feeling like I might miss out on what is one heck of a sale on gammaworld.

...and...well...uhhh... it took her 3 months to notice it on the shelf.

As a moral to the story, neither have been played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: US Army IntelligenceMicrobadge: We can do it!Microbadge: Calling 9-1-1 isn't what it used to be.Microbadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!
I've been thinking about this issue a lot lately. I'm so bad at this new addiction that I won't even admit here how many games I've bought in the last 9 months! surprise

When I was in college I was surrounded by people who loved books. All of us bought books. Many of those books never got read. We just loved books! The feel, the look, knowing we had a collection. We were biblioholics. And I don't recall anyone being as self conscious about their addiction as people are here on BGG.

To me, games are just like books. In some cases, they're better. They're experiences. They're something that are meant to be immediately shared. I'm already more sentimental, for lack of a better word, about my games than I ever was about my books.

Perhaps it's because I also view games like wine. "Hmm, what goes with the crowd and mood today?" It is very much like to trying to match up wine with your main course. But in this case, the wine bottle never empties. It goes back on the shelf to be enjoyed another day. Indefinitely, for the rest of my life, if the game is good enough.

This doesn't mean all the games are "experienced" (played) at the same time. And some might never get played due to circumstance or because one just realizes they don't like the game.

The only warning I have for myself and anyone else who has caught this bug: If this hobby could or is affecting your budget, know how to recover as much as possible of your initial cost if it becomes necessary. I know, this is to the detriment of LGS's, but this is just the reality. Unless you have a lot of disposable income, this addiction is sadly not compatible with buying locally. Unless, of course, you have more self control. In which case, you're not really a suffering addict. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
My wife made a deal with me that she wouldn't give me grief until I hit 1,000 games. So there was a lot of joking about what counted and trying not to let or see or know that I hit 1,000. But in the end the grief isn't bad and I don't hide the buying from her. So, I couldn't answer three of the questions.

I do make excuses though. It's all part of the game. Often times my favorite is 'they were at a good price for the gift closet and then I had to add 3 (insert number here) more games to get free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guantanamo wrote:
My wife made a deal with me that she wouldn't give me grief until I hit 1,000 games. So there was a lot of joking about what counted and trying not to let or see or know that I hit 1,000. But in the end the grief isn't bad and I don't hide the buying from her. So, I couldn't answer three of the questions.

I do make excuses though. It's all part of the game. Often times my favorite is 'they were at a good price for the gift closet and then I had to add 3 (insert number here) more games to get free shipping.

Far be it from me to cast aspersions, but of all the situations where I'm a little concerned about it going too far...

a) You own 1,234 games.
b) You like to sniff them.

You aren't ordering games from Columbia, are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poll
What's your spouse, significant other, roomate, joint-checking account holder's biggest complaint about game purchases?
Not enough room.
Sick of eating ramen noodles to afford game purchases.
Too many unplayed games.
Rules fatigue.
Not the kind of games they want to play.
Other.
      24 answers
Poll created by bippi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: A Study in Emerald fanMicrobadge: One species to rule them allMicrobadge: Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia fanMicrobadge: Farscape fanMicrobadge: StarCraft: The Board Game fan
SimGuy wrote:

From gallery of SimGuy

Try and talk her round to two games one cup.

What?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ years
DreadFuzzy wrote:
SimGuy wrote:

From gallery of SimGuy

Try and talk her round to two games one cup.

What?
Actually, she was embarrassed to show me a new tea set; pot, creamer, sugar bowl, 4x cup/saucer/desert plate.modest

I just gave her a hug... and ordered War in the Pacific. Karma balanced.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: That's some catch, that Catch-22.Microbadge: Geist - Plush CthulhuMicrobadge: T.I.M.E. Stories fanMicrobadge: Geist - Bloody KnifeMicrobadge: I was trololol'ed in 2025
I stick it under my shirt and just pretend it's an unusual growth shes never noticed before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
bippi wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Far be it from me to cast aspersions, but of all the situations where I'm a little concerned about it going too far...

a) You own 1234 games.
b) You like to sniff them.

You aren't ordering games from Columbia, are you?
No the best ones to sniff are from Germany.

I even commissioned a microbadge, everyone should get one. Microbadge: Always room for 1 more game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - EzrenMicrobadge: Video Game DesignerMicrobadge: I Delve in Dungeons!
I thought this sort of hi-jinx only happened on The Flintstones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Freiheit
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Kremlin fanMicrobadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Early Music fanMicrobadge: Tent CamperMicrobadge: Native Canuck
Actually, I don't see disconnected cable as a negative...in fact, isn't that why people play board games? Isn't that a sign of success?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Trajan fanMicrobadge: Die Burgen von Burgund fanMicrobadge: Grand Austria Hotel fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: Gùgōng fan
Thankfully I didn't have to choose: "Episode of hoarders based on my house" .
I'm a professional organizer myself and boardgames are the only part of my life where I recognize a bit of the hoarders I'm working with.
So, hoarding boardgamers, do me a favor: let me combine work and hobby and consult me!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |