Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: San Juan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: FLGS RetailerMicrobadge: V fanMicrobadge: Favorite D&D Monster March Madness tournament fanMicrobadge: The Walking Dead fanMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering player
I don't own the game or have it in front of me, but this is for the port San Juan, or whichever dutch port that changes country durring the game.

are captains that have that port as a home port not allowd to go there if they have a bounty of the new country?

this may not even be a valid question if there are no captains that have it as their home port but just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fan - my cities are happy!Microbadge: Clash of Cultures fan - I don't care what mood my cities are in!Microbadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
They may always enter their home port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: FLGS RetailerMicrobadge: V fanMicrobadge: Favorite D&D Monster March Madness tournament fanMicrobadge: The Walking Dead fanMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering player
thanks christian. BTW love the game

i wasn't sure mainly because of the change

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Meetup userMicrobadge: Minneapolis BoardGame MarathonMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver File Uploader
From gallery of EvanMinn

The rule could be written a bit more clearly:

"Normally, when you [have a bounty from a nation], you no longer have access to that nation's ports. In your home port, however... Therefore, you can enter your home port, even if [you have a bounty from the nation that controls that port]."

But my question is this part:

"The nationality of [your home] port is also the nationality of your Captain."

Does that mean if your home port's nationality changes, your Captain's changes too? I.e., nations at war with your home port's nation will hunt you, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
EvanMinn wrote:
But my question is this part:

"The nationality of [your home] port is also the nationality of your Captain."

Does that mean if your home port's nationality changes, your Captain's changes too? I.e., nations at war with your home port's nation will hunt you, etc.?
i have that question as well thank you for asking it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fan - my cities are happy!Microbadge: Clash of Cultures fan - I don't care what mood my cities are in!Microbadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
No. Your nationailty does not change if you are from San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
Microbadge: La Granja fanMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: Gamer with Non-gamer SpouseMicrobadge: Everdell: Pearlbrook fanMicrobadge: Wingspan fan
sztejma wrote:
Seems logical. When one country attacks another, people from the first one don't change nationalities to second one automatically
No, normally it takes several generations of breeding the original race out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Meetup userMicrobadge: Minneapolis BoardGame MarathonMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver File Uploader
sztejma wrote:
Seems logical. When one country attacks another, people from the first one don't change nationalities to second one automatically
That's the logical thing but that is not quite what the rule above says. It says home port nationality = captain nationality with no exceptions for home port changing nationality noted.

I agree it makes more sense to keep the captain the same but am just pointing out that's not what the rule says.

It's a moot point right now but maybe, if we're lucky, there'll be an expansion someday and it might matter then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Microbadge: Ambiguity will get you somewhereMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Instant Human - just add coffeeMicrobadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys
EvanMinn wrote:
sztejma wrote:
That's the logical thing but that is not quite what the rule above says. It says home port nationality = captain nationality with no exceptions for home port changing nationality noted.

I agree it makes more sense to keep the captain the same but am just pointing out that's not what the rule says.

It's a moot point right now but maybe, if we're lucky, there'll be an expansion someday and it might matter then.
Either way, the game designer himself gave a ruling a few posts before yours, so the case is entirely clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
haslo wrote:

Either way, the game designer himself gave a ruling a few posts before yours, so the case is entirely clear
Well, yeah. Maybe I wasn't clear, but my point was not questioning how it works (as I said, that way makes the most sense) but pointing out the rule as printed is incorrect. I.e., this is an errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls