GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggestions Please: Card game to play once per day with my wife rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a card game that my wife and I can play once per day. I'd like it to be a game that we will grow into, something that will get deeper and more rewarding as we get better at it. Something that will become a subtle mental game once we get really into it. Here are the general requirements:

--Does not need to be exclusively two player, but must be at least as good with two as with other numbers.
--Must just be cards. I want to be able to stick it in one or two normal playing card boxes.
--Must be playable in about 20 minutes, otherwise it will never be played most days.
--I am open to standalone games, traditional card games, decktet games, whatever.

Thanks for your ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cribbage

No, it's not just cards.

Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Cribbage

No, it's not just cards.

Oh well. :p

It can be if you keep score with a pen and paper rather than the board.

I would recommend Haggis and Triumvirate. They can both fit into the box for either if you remove the insert. I really enjoy both of them. Triumvirate has a few more things than cards but again, they are just fluff. You could just as easily mark which suit wins a round with a pen and paper.

If you want a take-that rummy variation try the PnP Livestock Market: the Card Game but be warned! The game can get quite brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly Deal Card Game

If willing to look at larger card games: Jaipur, Aliens: This Time It's War, Dragonheart. Cold War: CIA vs KGB might also fit this bill but I have yet to play (we will soon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
Cribbage

No, it's not just cards.

Oh well.

It can be if you keep score with a pen and paper rather than the board.

Additionally, it can be the size of two normal playing card boxes if you get one of those nifty travel / fold-up sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also buy a card game book that is based on a standard card deck or head over to www.pagat.com and find a few games from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say,
Dragonheart
Perry Rhodan
Bonnie and Clyde
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis

You can play a hand in 5-10 minutes. The rules say that a game is "typically" 350 points, but you could easily keep a running tally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is great, but it has some coins. Small box though. Nice design though. 20-30 minutes

Cribbage is awesome to learn, but is better with the board. 20-30 minutes

Monopoly Deal is an easy to learn card game, not bad. 10-20 minutes

Ticket To Ride card game is decent too. 25 minutes

Seven Card Samurai is another card only game, not bad. 20-30 minutes.

Struggle for Catan when it comes out this spring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
Utopian Rummy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange........I would suggest Dominion.

Also, these, that I have never played but understand are very good:
San Juan
Race for the Galaxy
Biblios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack H.
United Kingdom
Rochester
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have always enjoyed Coloretto with the two player rules.

I believe it's a superbly scaling game, and, although it may be not as deep as some other games mentioned previously, becomes amazingly psychological with two players.

edit: Dominion was my first thought but it is already owned by the original poster and somewhat bulky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of great suggestions, thank you.

Haggis is the current leader in my mind. That is actually the game I was considering when I started this thread, but I didn't mention it because I wanted to see what else people would say. One potential issue is that while climbing and trick-taking games are intuitive to me, they are not for my wife. They are the only type of game where I have a winning record against her, and part of my hope is that if we play this a lot she will see what I see in this type of game. Haggis has the additional advantage that I already own it.

I am also interested in Triumvirate. I guess I could live with a few extra bits, especially if I could leave them behind when leaving the house. I know it is not a traditional trick-taking game, any thoughts on whether it would be more or less attractive than Haggis for someone who is not super keen on trick-taking games?

Others that are in the running and would be happy to be convinced by:

Cribbage--I have not played cribbage since I played it with my grandparents as a little kid twenty-some years ago. I should go back to it for that history alone.

Monopoly Deal -- is there enough growing room?

Struggle for Catan, San Juan, RFTG, Dominion--all great games, but not what I'm looking for right now--all too big and probably too long in duration. (I know you can play Dominion in 20 minute, but it's go the potato chip problem in that I've never played it just once in a sitting.) Basically, all of these are too involved to play every day--they're weekend games for us.

Biblios--It's on my radar, I've heard good things, but I don't actually know much about it. I'll do some research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Volkwein
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Might I recommend a game that I recently published, Castaways of Deadmans Bay. It's a 2 player pirate dueling game where the main mechanic is building up attacks and bluffing your intentions. The gameplay is quite simple to pick up and as you and your wife continue to play you can really get into the bluffing and guessing mechanic.

- Is 2 player
- Is only cards with some gem health counters ( 6x4x1.5 inch box )
- Games usually last 10-20 mins (turns are very quick after you've played once or twice)

I hope you guys enjoy it!

~ Ian
http://www.ponderzombiegames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale is only cards, plays in about the time mentioned (once you know how to play, probably not the first game though), and may offer the depth of strategy you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cribbage without a board would be pretty tedious ... I mean, having to tally every pegging point or whatever on paper? I would almost that having poker chips or something where you can just grab a token and convert them into higher denominations would work more smoothly.

Battle Line is good and pretty transportable (even with the pawns, though you could figure out how to work it without them) but it takes up a bunch of table space. I also enjoy Innovation, but it's hard to really develop a strong, mental strategy for it since it's so chaotic.

Growing up I played a lot of 2-player 500 (though I suppose a lot of trick-taking games could work here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Spot it! is another option... plays in 5 minutes. Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for monopoly deal. It's the only card game I can get my wife to play consistently and it has a fair amount of depth for a 20 minute card game. Plus you can get it for about $5 at target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second San Juan - fairly easy to learn and you will discover new strategies weeks later. I still think we are yet to exhaust all the options. Also played with the gf. Try it online before you buy if you can. Great card gamefor two and very little confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Söderberg
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner of Triumvirate, I'd still recommend Haggis. I enjoy Triumvirate, but I think Haggis is even better.

I'd also mention Race for the Galaxy. It might be a bit trycky and take some time to learn, but once you've played a couple of games gametime goes to 15-20 minutes. It's definately something that will get deeper and more rewarding as you get better at it. There is also the possibility of expansions, which adds quite a bit to tactics and strategies, but the original can hold it's own and is more portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as someone who games with their wife every day, I have to say that I think San Juan is probably a perfect fit. It's not just cards, there are a few bits of cardboard too, but it's all still small enough that you could take it anywhere. San Juan is also great because it holds up to repeated play really well - I've played it over a hundred times with my wife (we frequently play it over breakfast on weekdays), and though I tend to win a little more often, we both find our strategies evolving constantly. After a few games of learning the rules, you should consistently be able to play San Juan in under 20 minutes.

Some other 2-player card games that I think are excellent are Jambo, Jaipur, and Race for the Galaxy. Of these, Jaipur is the simplest (and potentially has the most limited lifespan), while Race for the Galaxy is the most complex and difficult to learn (I'd recommend getting San Juan first, which RftG is based on, and upgrading later). I find all of them take a bit longer to play than San Juan, but with practice, all can be played in around 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering fits all of your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like to play a card game called Rowboat. It plays the best with 2 players but can be played with 3 or with partners. It is somewhat like spades but with a twist. It is our favorite card game. You can buy it directly from the maker at www.Moosetachegames.com They have a good tutorial at their site to show you how it plays. The cost is $14.95 shipped to your door. Well worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line (awesome) and Lost Cities (still good) are classic 2p games that are very easy to learn and play.

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper and Wyatt Earp (has some non-card components) are vastly improved rummy variations. The best part is that each "hand" takes only a few minutes, so you can play one or two hands per day instead of an entire game. (Though with 2p it typically takes only 3-4 hands to complete a game.)

As others have mentioned, Race for the Galaxy and San Juan are both terrific. (San Juan is much easier to learn.) I know you said they're too complicated for you and/or your wife, but I'd at least urge you to reconsider San Juan. My wife and I can dash off a game in about 10-15 minutes now, and it has become incredibly easy to explain to newcomers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Race for the Galaxy and Biblios.

Race will take longer to "get", but once you do, a 2 player game can be played in about 30 min.

Biblios is probably one of my favourite filler games that I'd play several times in a row. Easy to learn with lots of depth.

One that hasn't been mentioned and is fantastic with 2, 3 or 4 players is Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation. Once you learn it, it takes about 30 min or a 2 player game as well. It does have wooden cubes and wooden discs, but it's truly a card game at heart. The rules are in German, but there are translations here on BGG. The game itself is very language independent, so once you figure out the game you won't really need the rules anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.