GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,927 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I want recommendations of a "back-stabbing game" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother wants a game for his birthday (30+). Since he is living alone I was thinking of Ghost stories since he likes it and it actually works rather well even as a solitary game.

But when I spoke with him today he said that most of all, he likes games where you can be mean/evil to each other.

So now I need recommendations. I have thought about Rattus, but I want more ideas. (He already got Spank the monkey).

Criterias:
In print
No more than US $75
You have to be able to be mean to each other
Available in Europe

Edit: One more criteria, playable with three

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if they're available in Europe, but Diplomacy and Intrigue are both in print and definitely evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica is quite the epic game where you can totally backstab each other. It does require 5 to be at its best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republic of Rome, Pax Britannica and Machiavelli are pretty good for that sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizbeth
United Kingdom
banbury
oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow hunters
cosmic encounter

uhm... playable with 3 is I suspect the big issue with this as these sort of games tend to be in the 4-6 range

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone + Expansion "Wrath of the Elements" is a great game, and it's a good one when you play solitary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
I don't know if they're available in Europe, but Diplomacy and Intrigue are both in print and definitely evil.

I would agree that Intrigue is one of the most evil fun games I have ever played. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure this would fit the bill for your brother's gaming interests but this is my obligatory recommendation for this great game. It is worth the look at.

A Game of Thrones (First Edition)

It has great tension, simple mechanics, and ample opportunities to back stab. devil

One down side. It really needs at least 4 players and 5 players is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootleggers. Technically it's out of print, but it shouldn't be too hard to get a copy. Great game that really starts to shine when some people start to blackmail the other players. But like most backstabbing games, the more the merrier. But this one should work with 3.

Hmm i guess i will be getting some evil stares now, but maybe he would like Munchkin or Chez Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions are going to be on the easy/simplistic side, so maybe I'm waaaay off base.

Survive. In most turns you're trying to advance your meeples while destroying your opponents. It's very easy to teach, great graphics, and easily plays well under an hour.

New World: A Carcassonne Game. This is the version that Carcassonne lovers hate. I hated the original until I played this version. It has a time constraint that is controlled by the advancement of individual players which frequently results in screwing over your opponents. You can be all set for a major score and it can be taken all away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Mumie
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than what was already recommended, Diplomacy is probably the ultimate backstabbing game. Junta: Viva el Presidente!
I would try Junta, which has a strong theme of tretchery and backstabbing throughout the game as presidents are overthrown in coups by the other players throughout the game. Illuminati is also a game where there can be some backstabbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Diplomacy is the king, as others have mentioned. Cosmic Encounter is also good, but light hearted so it is more fun than mean when you do unto others.... The biggest fights I've personally seen where in games in the Civilization series (Civilization, Advanced Civilization, Age of Renaissance) when treaties were broken. I've had friends almost come to blows....

But if you want some real evil back stabbing, try 1830: Railways & Robber Barons - it will soon be back in print. Oh the stories I could tell.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The J wrote:
I say keep it simple with the backstabbing. They don't have to be complex to allow a great stab at a great time.

In the light and backstabbing range I would suggest Fearsome Floors or Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas.

Both excellent, laugh out loud fun, with a good stab or two required for winning.

+1 Intrigue and +1 Fearsome Floors I just played Fearsome Floors for the first time last night, and it was brutally mean... but in a totally hilarious way. There was a king making element at the end of our game. On the last turn I could choose to sacrifice myself in order to kill another player and prevent him from winning, or I could just run away from the monster and let him win. I decided that more death would be funny on the last turn so I moved into a position that killed all 3 remaining pieces on the board and gave victory to a player who had already gotten 2 of his guys out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMummy wrote:
Other than what was already recommended, Diplomacy is probably the ultimate backstabbing game. Junta: Viva el Presidente!
I would try Junta, which has a strong theme of tretchery and backstabbing throughout the game as presidents are overthrown in coups by the other players throughout the game. Illuminati is also a game where there can be some backstabbing.

I cannot believe I did not remember this game. An excellent choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Lauck
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Diplomacy and Junta.
Diplomacy is only a good game with many players (5+) and takes hours to play. Junta is a little bit faster (even if I had 6h-Juntas) and works fine with 4+players.
Survive is also a good choice, play 2 colours each at a 2-player game.
If he's more into the "trashy" games, try a version of Munchkin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all suggestions folks!

I am leaning towards Fearsome floors, sounds like something that would match my brothers sense of humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.