GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
60 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: How many wargames do you purchase and pre-order in a given year? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I'm a player and not a collector so that has a huge impact on my buying habits and helps better manage my gaming budget. Each year is different, it depends on what games/modules are on pre-order. Example I'm a big ASL fun but I only buy modules that I know I will actually play. Right now I only have one game on pre-order with MMP: ASLSK Expansion Pack. If say next year MMP will put Rising Sun, Budapest HASL and say Yanks 2nd edition on pre-order then I will pre-order all of them because I know I will play with all of them. On on the other hand I don't bother with any of the ASL action Packs since I like to play campaigns and not scenarios. I also sometimes pre-order two copies of a game/module (this only applies to ASL): for example in 2006 I had 2 copies of Beyond Valor 3rd Edition on pre-order as well 2 copies of Valor of the Guards (for the most important games/modules I like to have back ups).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy maybe one game a year - only ever placed one pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wr3nch wrote:
How many wargames do you pre-order or order (when in-print) in a given year?

Probably only 2 or 3 per year. I know my own gaming preferences well enough at this point that I can narrow down the field of candidates to a very few that I will then read up on in depth (or wait till they hit the market and read feedback about actual plays). Only in very rare cases will a game become an "auto-buy" or "auto-preorder" based on the topic, game mechanic, or designer (e.g., Virgin Queen).

Quote:
Have you ever reached a point in your collecting endeavors when you realized you were "in too deep" and that you would never play half of the games you had on pre-order?

No, not yet. I don't want to become a collector. If I lose focus and wind up in the position of having more games than I can feasibly play, I'll be pretty ruthless in selling or trading them away. I simply won't keep a game that hasn't been played at all and has only dim prospects of ever getting played (and ideally, I won't buy it in the first place). Some of these games are pretty long though, and have to be played online or have a day scheduled in advance to play with a friend...so for something like Wilderness War or Paths of Glory, if I can play it once or twice a year, that's a good enough rate to justify keeping it.

Quote:
Is that last question just a normal state of affairs for wargamers?

I suspect that it is. A lot of wargamers are content to buy games with only the intention of playing them someday. I can understand that optimism--but in my case, a closer look revealed that the reality of the time that I have for gaming and the people that I game with would result in a lot of unused boxes sitting on my shelves.

Most wargamers don't seem to mind that, though. Part of the hobby for them is buying, opening up the box, getting all the pieces sorted, reading the rules, and maybe playing through a few turns alone to get the feel of it. If I had to guess, I'd say that many of the non-WW2 titles actually rely on subset of gamers who are happy to own games just for the sake of owning them--without those folks, preorder targets would never be reached and some of those titles would never reach publication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Lots of consideration on this.

I ditched most of my collection the mid 80s and got back into regular gaming just 4 years ago. Feeling the need to catch up, and seeing titles I would have like to have but were OOP, I decided to buy as much as I could afford - so thus arrives 250 plus games over 4 years kept, and around 2 dozen that came and went in trades.

Right now I have more than enough games - and about 30 or so I could part with and not miss as some of my purchase were nostalgic and will never see play.

However this does not stop me from still having some preorders out there - 3 from MMP, 2 from Clash of Arms, 6 or so with GMT.

This year I am trying like heck to not buy too many more - I might get 10-12 new games this year - and most of those are to flush out series or to grab those I am fairly sure will both get played and OOP in a couple of years.

It is now April 2nd, and yesterday was the first new purchase to arrive for the year- ASLSK EXP 1.

Now, I have every intent to play ASL SKs, and have purchased every release related to that series, but none have been played since SK1's first two scenarios 3 years ago.

---------

Short answer - too many and not enough, and mindful of how crazy it is to buy stuff while I have others unplayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
HONOLULU
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
The more you buy, the more you save!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Wr3nch wrote:

How many wargames do you pre-order or order (when in-print) in a given year? Have you ever reached a point in your collecting endeavors when you realized you were "in too deep" and that you would never play half of the games you had on pre-order? Is that last question just a normal state of affairs for wargamers?

If we're counting expansions, probably 3 or 4 - basically, whatever is coming down the ASL pipeline (although I'll probably give Korea a miss, and maybe even the Finns). Other games, pretty much always zero, though occasionally one. I count on my friends to provide my non-ASL wargaming needs.

Keeping a lid on the buying also means I get to play the stuff I do buy. I keep a list of five underplayed purchases - when I've done 2 scenarios from any module/magzaine/AP, it comes off the list and only then can I buy something new to replace it on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
This last year was crazy. I just caught on to a decade's worth of
change in the industry - ended up with 15 games.

Preorders - most of what I pick falls through,
so it's really tough to tell; I have about a dozen or more, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year I picked up a bunch of older and out of print games, so that total is ridiculously high, even if you're just counting wargames.

If you're limiting it to new/current, and not counting expansions, scenario packs, magazine games, etc., about 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started war gaming in Oct. 2010. I am up to 34 games/expansions, and I have 5 on pre-order. (There are a couple of Euros in there, please don't hate me.)

Since I am in a discovery phase I am not too worried about getting in too deep at the moment, but I have set goals for myself.

My main goal being I really don't want to be a war game collector. Once I settle on the types/styles/series of war games I like, I plan to sell the ones that don't interest me. Another goal I have set is I want to master the rules of the games that do make the cut with me. So owning a small tight collection would make this goal more attainable.

These are just goals, and it's just entertainment. If I end up just collecting war games and it makes me happy, I'm good with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
More than I could possibly ever play! And more than my wife knows about, ha-ha!

ninja

Take care,
Hil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
One is to many a thousand is never enough. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered Guderian's Blitzkrieg II and Barbarossa Crimea about a year ago from Wargame Depot. Those have been the only wargames I've pre-ordered. The rest of the games I've ever pre-ordered were Agricola and Space Hulk 3rd Ed.

Well, I have one of the two wargames. But I'm the kind of person that, when I want to buy a wargame, I want to come home with a wargame, not wait months on end. My pre-ordering experiences have ended.

But I still buy bunches of wargames. Mostly back-filling games from years past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Virginia
msg tools
Honestly, I'd much rather be decreasing the size of my collection, especially the ones that will never get played, instead of adding more to it. But I'd bet it still grows by 5-10 per year on average if you include buying OOP games. I have at least given up pre-ordering, with only a very few exceptions, as it does not tend to work out well for me with the extended timelines in the economy of late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
IrishBouzouki wrote:
Honestly, I'd much rather be decreasing the size of my collection.

BLASPHEMY!

I've only ditched a couple games intentionally.
Usually because someone I knew wanted them far more.

Even my stinkers, I think I'll get back to eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased two wargames in 2010, Twilight Struggle and A Victory Denied. So far this year, I've received Labyrinth as a gift but I haven't purchased any. I've currently got two on pre-order, 1989 and Andean Abyss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Virginia
msg tools
calandale wrote:
IrishBouzouki wrote:
BLASPHEMY!
Less and less free time, less and less free space...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
IrishBouzouki wrote:
calandale wrote:
IrishBouzouki wrote:
BLASPHEMY!
Less and less free time, less and less free space...

One of my friends summed it up pretty well when he was auctioning off some games. I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something a long of the lines that he was selling some good games, but he didn't want to own good games. He wanted to own great games.

I really need to go through and do some purging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

When I was last gaming seriously in the 1990's, I only bought games I'd played, liked and knew I'd play again.

Since getting active on here in the last year, I've started making a lot of impulse buys. Some of them have been excellent but quite a few I've wanted to trade away. Like your friend, I need to focus on getting great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife pre-ordered Washington's War back in 2009 for my birthday.

When I learned that GMT was giving out games to unemployed people, I wanted to show my approval for them, so I ordered Monmouth and Savannah from them (back in 2009).

In 2010, I chose to go to Coolstuff for Wilderness War reprint and Germantown, because of free shipping. That one almost bit me, because GMT offered 50% off a game for every P500 that you had that year. Since I got Washington's War that year (my wife's order), she took advantage and bought me (Paths of Glory).

This year, I pre-ordered Guns of August from Worthington, because I they are giving Red Baron for free (2 games for about $38). On the bright side, I learned about this from an advertising banner on BGG.

So the long answer to a short question is "rarely...very rarely." It takes a re-print of my all-time favorite game (We the People), super-duper/mega cool company policy, or a really, really, sweet deal (sweeter than I get from Coolstuff with free shipping).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got back in the hobby about two years ago after having played war-games for 10 years and dropped out of the hobby for 15.

I sold about 30 games and kept about 50 and picked up about 90 many of which are ASL scenarios. I have about another 30 games to sell. I have finally hit a steady state where I don't expect to grow my collection much.

I'm playing about 20 new games a year and expect to pick up 5-7 games this year. I expect to have played everything I own in a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to pre order at least one GMT game a year to qualify for the 50% off sale before Christmas.

I used to pre order from MMP but have found their "sale" price is higher than game store prices, they take forever to actually release and they overcharge for shipping (I live 3 states away but pay the cross country rate + 'handling') so they have been out unless I REALLY want a game and it needs help to hit its production number.

I have been finishing off my ASL collection since getting back in to wargames a few years ago so most of my money had been spent on those products but now I am finally up to date so I am at about 4-5 new games purchased per year.

My problem is time and ability to play so I set an arbitrary $ budget to spend every year and that works pretty well for me to prioritize games and only purchase games I really want and really will play. I will also purchase a game I might play if I think I can flip it for an OOP game I really would like to trade for. That has worked very well for me with obtaining GCACW modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to go with series games, SCS and ASL to be exact. I used to feel I had to have every game out there or I wanted a game on every battle I could find but that became to cumbersome and I just didn't have the time or space to play (or store) the majority anyway, so I downsized.

Sometimes I pre-order sometimes I don't, depends on the game, how well the money is flowing at the time or how long it might take to reach it's number.

Sometimes I'll will buy a game with every intention of playing it but if it languishes too long on the shelf I'll sell it or trade it.

As far as being a collector, not so much these days but I would like having all the official ASL gear again and all the SCS games as they are my favorite even though I will never play or even come close to playing every ASL scenario (but if I want to play it it is there) and I have only played about a third of the SCS games ( a couple of them don't interest me) but I intend to play the rest someday....even the ones that haven't been released or even invented yet as it is a great system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wr3nch wrote:
I think that I have been very liberal with registering pre-orders because I want to secure the lower price, pledge my support to the respective designers/developers/publishers, and because I know that it may take years before some of my pre-orders come to fruition and charge my card.

yoo can never have too many copies of DAK2.

Quote:
How many wargames do you pre-order or order (when in-print) in a given year?

all the good ones, which are more easily sold.

Quote:
Have you ever reached a point in your collecting endeavors when you realized you were "in too deep" and that you would never play half of the games you had on pre-order? Is that last question just a normal state of affairs for wargamers?

"In too deep" means when the stacks go over your head, or when you get stuck in the corridor. The trouble with this metric is thats its a bigger problem for the shorter, wider boardwargamer, so they must imbue themselves with a questing spirit unquenched by poor line-of--sight to the bathroom door. I find keeping a scrapbook full of photos of all the world's gameshops works...for them, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG just ordered Five new games taking advantage of GMT's Facebook offer.

.surprise

Sorry couldn't help myself, I'm going to have to give up work and just game full time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About 200 just in this year 2011 alone... thusfar...

(To be fair, I have played about 150 of them in the past, just re-buying them after the great boardgaming purge of the early 90's.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.